SsangYong (M&M) Rexton Launched at 17.67 Lakhs.

It is. The RX5 variant- 162bhp@4000rpm while RX7 - 184bhp@4000 for the same diesel engine in both of them. Torque figures are 340nm@1800-3250rpm for the RX5 and 402nm@1600-3000rpm for the RX7.

This could probably make the city drive stress free and effortless but on highways it could be a deal breaker if one wants to go beyond 120Km/hr. But for me it is not ,on Indian roads I would never go beyond 110 in any car.
Which Indian roads are you talking about? Have you been to Gujarat ? Mumbai-Pune expressway. Normal speed is 100+ on that road. [lol].

Although I think so it should be below 100 and everyone would be safe. [:D]

Which Indian roads are you talking about? Have you been to Gujarat ? Mumbai-Pune expressway. Normal speed is 100+ on that road. [lol].

Although I think so it should be below 100 and everyone would be safe.
I am talking about majority of indian roads where you could any time get surprises in the form of vehicles coming in wrong directions and people walking across casually.I hope it hasn't changed dramatically in india in the last three to four months,when i was in india last time,i wish it to have happend though.[frustration]

We need to wait at least for another 30 years to drive confidently ,consistently at that normal speed you are talking about on indian roads. This is the truith that we need to accept at present. Roads are improving and will get better but what about the mentality of people on roads? [lol]
The express ways you are talking about are just a few exceptions.

It is. The RX5 variant- 162bhp@4000rpm while RX7 - 184bhp@4000 for the same diesel engine in both of them. Torque figures are 340nm@1800-3250rpm for the RX5 and 402nm@1600-3000rpm for the RX7.

This could probably make the city drive stress free and effortless but on highways it could be a deal breaker if one wants to go beyond 120Km/hr. But for me it is not ,on Indian roads I would never go beyond 110 in any car.
Manoj I seriously find this extremely surprising that the rexton with such figures gets tired at 120 speeds , or is it me who is understanding everything wrong here ? .

Manoj I seriously find this extremely surprising that the rexton with such figures gets tired at 120 speeds , or is it me who is understanding everything wrong here ? .
Any body will expect a Merc engine with those config to easily go beyond 120 Km/Hr without much drama. Could it be with just that one vehicle those people used for the review? Lets wait for more reviews? When shall we expecting one from TAI?

SsangYong Rexton vs Toyota Fortuner vs Ford Endeavour-Auto car review

As a value-for-money proposition, the Rexton gets it absolutely right. It feels expensive, is loaded to the gills with equipment and is the most refined of the lot. Sure, it may not be the most exciting to drive, but then again, it is the most relaxing. As an overall package, it offers the best of all the things you expect of an SUV.
source:SsangYong Rexton vs Toyota Fortuner vs Ford Endeavour | Feature | Autocar India

Last edited by a moderator:
Mahindra & Mahindra to strengthen Rexton production to cut waiting period
Domestic auto maker Mahindra & Mahindra today said it is ramping up production of recently launched premium sports utility vehicle (SUV), the Rexton, by 500 units with an aim to lower waiting period.
It seems like Rexton is doing pretty well. Interesting to compare the December,12 sales figure of Rexton and Fortuner.

read more:Mahindra & Mahindra to strengthen Rexton production to cut waiting period - The Economic Times

I saw the rexton in and out at the Delhi airport , it looks nice and the fit and finish also is great . Wish to test drive one soon .

I saw the rexton in and out at the Delhi airport , it looks nice and the fit and finish also is great . Wish to test drive one soon .
surprisingly it is not seen here in China at all. It seems like this rexton W is not yet launched in CHINA[surprise. I did see a couple of previous generations in some other cities.

I think India is one of the very few countries where this new model has been launched.Thanks to M&M for launching it here.

I hope it is launched in Kerala too.

MAHINDRA BOOSTS PRODUCTION OF THE SSANGYONG REXTON SUV TO MEET GROWING DEMAND
Due to the value price at which the Rexton has been positioned at, Mahindra is sitting on a strong order book comprising of 1,300 bookings for the luxury SUV, Mahindra’s most expensive product sold in India ever. To meet the high demand for the Rexton, Mahindra plans to assemble 500 units of the SUV in January 2013. Mahindra is targeting yearly sales of 5,000 units for the Rexton SUV.
http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/...yong-rexton-suv-to-meet-growing-demand-66253/

i am seeing a lot of rextons on road now.

the road presence is rivaling to the fortuner and the black and silver colors looks rich and elegant.

In the pics,the road presence thanks to the slopping bonnet looks no where close to the d-4d tyrant Toyota Fortuner.However the exteriors do exude a premium baverian feel(thanks to its M Class DNA).BTW,500 units dispatched is one hell of a job done by MnM,for which they should be heartily congratulated as they deserve it,IMO! Great going Mahindra,keep it up.

Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton

not much of review.

I test drove Rexton top model AT 24L on road, two month waiting time, in Pune recently.

It is great car !!! nothing to compare in this price range!!! I'm sure resale value will be good too.

Triple steel body construction, going trough bumps with no feel of any vibration inside, just like therewass no any bumps. Automatic gearbox real fast, engine pulling very inpressive, pressing you back into seats. Interior superb.

Road presence impressive and resemble Merc M class very much. If, you looking to buy Fortuner, think twice, and give a Rexton test drive. AS car Rexton ahead of Fortuner in all respects, better interior, no roll on turns, better visibility, more powerful engine ( 5 cyl copied from Merc)

I already booked it and then canceled booking [frustration] for reasons not related to car.

Attachments

350Z

Core Team
The New SsangYong Rexton RX6

SsangYong has introduced the Rexton RX6. It's priced at Rs.19.96 Lakh (Ex.showroom, Delhi).
The ‘New Rexton RX6’ comes with 5-speed manual transmission on the 2.7 L RX270 XDi engine and a range of luxurious & high tech features. The high end features include premium leather upholstery, electrical sunroof, 8-way electrically adjustable driver’s seat with memory function, automatic headlights, rain sensing wipers and intelligent 4x4 Torque on Demand (TOD) system. The RX6 is targeted at customers who desire high end luxurious features and at the same time want to enjoy authentic SUV performance with a manual transmission.

Speaking on the launch of the ‘RX6’ model of the SsangYong Rexton, Vivek Nayer, Chief Marketing Officer, Automotive Division, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. said, “As a customer-centric organization, we continuously take feedback from consumers and update our products to cater to their evolving needs. One such feedback from customers was the need for high end and luxurious features in a manual transmission model. The launch of the Rexton RX6 is a step in this direction and will give driving enthusiasts a manual transmission with 4x4 capabilities, along with high end features.”

The new Rexton RX6 uses a 2.7 litre RX270 XDi engine (5 cylinder common rail, turbo diesel engine) which produces 162 Bhp power and 340 Nm torque. The 5-speed manual gearbox also offers an intelligent and efficient 4X4 system – Torque on Demand (TOD) with a low ratio for serious off-roading. The SsangYong Rexton by Mahindra is currently available in two models - RX5 and RX7. The RX5 is an entry level manual transmission model and the RX7 is the top end model with E-tronic automatic transmission with Mercedes BenzTM technology.
Drive Safe,
350Z

I had just taken TD of Rexton Rx6, as per brochure & website, it was clear winner on TF by immense feature list, mainly Sunroof (must sign of SUV), 4 airbags, navigation, low transfer gear (only 4x4 TF had it), ESP (only TF AT had it), adjustable driver seat & ORVM with 3 memories, more safety features.
Test drive was albeit stretched to 25-30km with all terrain (especially one hill top where only Pajero Sport had reached till date).
What I like:-
*Turbolag almost nil, but required to do 1st gear as rev drops to less than 1K.
*Ride quality much better as compared to XUV500, little better than Innova, comparable to Pajero Sports.
*Body roll minimal
*Sunroof (not in any sub25L SUVs, as I know)
*Good NVH, no tyre squealing at steep turns or high speed, well insulated cabin
*4L (low gear transfer) can take you at hilly slopes where probably AWD can't dare (my Mahindra sales person - "kya aap yahan pe TD loge" / "sirji, agar mere seniors aaye to muje dobara yahan pe TD ki permission dilva dena" as those slope were in my friend's farmhouse which is amidst of mines. He was not confident as confident was sales person of PS before few days.
*Good legroom & headroom in 1st & 2nd row seats
*broader & longer than TF, but gentleman/sedan look vs. butch look of TF

What I don't like
*no 6 airbags, no traction control
*no tyretronics / Static Bending headlamps / chiller
*3rd seats rest on floor, so poor legroom & poor thigh support. This is further aggravated by no slide movement of 2nd row seats, latter only recline & fold, but don't slide like Innova/TF
*3rd seat is sofa, one can't fold 50:50 so that 50% fold to hold luggage & 50% upright for 6th passenger, as in most other SUVs
* (minor)rear camera is optional
*no mobile phone controls on steering or no voice dial / voice commands like ford ecosport
*No Hill Hold Control, probably not necessary with careful use of 4L switch
* (minor) light steering, may be good for ladies but not satisfactory for those who demand feedback

Last edited:

Top Bottom