Sporty Yet Elegant: My Volkswagen Polo TDI (2 Years & 20,000 Kms Completed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sporty Yet Elegant: My Candy White Volkswagen Polo TDI

no none of the upgrades voided the warranty as there was no wire cutting during the installment of both the fog lamps and the OHU and tyre specifications are the same as the ones in Highline.
Ok. That's great! Between, how is the fog lamp visibility at night? Is it worth it? I am thinking of one if its available in my city.

I would put a picture of the same as soon as my dad comes back from Jammu where he is currently posted. Should be i guess by this coming weekend. till that time i have another picture of the Fiesta you might like.[:D]
View attachment 48964
[surprise]. How did you manage to take the vehicle out? [;)]

Thread Starter #32

Ok. That's great! Between, how is the fog lamp visibility at night? Is it worth it? I am thinking of one if its available in my city.

the visibility hasn't increased much. Buy yes it's noticeable when you are driving on low beam , the field of vision does increases.
[surprise]. How did you manage to take the vehicle out? [;)]
Don't ask about that. Fiesta just stood in the garage for a good 1 month[frustration] till the time the snow crushers came and cleared the way.

Thread Starter #33

Went for a short highway drive from Chandigarh to Ambala in my POLO. Did around 120kms in total and the car behaved beautifully. The road is throughout Four-lane without many uneven patches. Did touch around 130kmph and it was hardly noticeable until and unless one saw the speedometer. The ride is very calm and composed.
The steering does weighs up at higher speeds but still feels tad lighter than what it should be. The ride and handling of Polo is amazing and it never feels you are sitting in a hatch. It gives a very sedan like driving feeling. Very much planted to the road. I did test the braking on the highway too and IMO it's good enough. Stops where you want it to.
Now eagerly waiting to take the car for a much longer highway drive. Let's see if the coming weekend has something in store.[:D]

Went for a short highway drive from Chandigarh to Ambala in my POLO. Did around 120kms in total and the car behaved beautifully. The road is throughout Four-lane without many uneven patches. Did touch around 130kmph and it was hardly noticeable until and unless one saw the speedometer. The ride is very calm and composed.
The steering does weighs up at higher speeds but still feels tad lighter than what it should be. The ride and handling of Polo is amazing and it never feels you are sitting in a hatch. It gives a very sedan like driving feeling. Very much planted to the road. I did test the braking on the highway too and IMO it's good enough. Stops where you want it to.
Now eagerly waiting to take the car for a much longer highway drive. Let's see if the coming weekend has something in store.[:D]
The car feels glued onto the road even if you go at 160kmph (max.). Well, I haven't tried it yet [;)]!
This car is quite fun at highways. Excellent drivability!

Thread Starter #35

The car feels glued onto the road even if you go at 160kmph (max.). Well, I haven't tried it yet [;)]!
This car is quite fun at highways. Excellent drivability!
I am sure it would be but i'm keeping the revvs below 3000 RPM till i complete 1500kms. After that i'm gonna start exploring the boundaries and limits of my car. Not even touched the 1000km mark as yet.[sad]

i am not impressed with the fuel efficiency that i am getting right now from my Polo. According to my calculations i am getting around 16kmpl with AC on almost all the time. But it is very less compared to what my Fiesta gives approx 20-21 in similar conditions. I hope it improves with time.

How much is the Fuel Efficiency other POLO TDI owners are getting??

hmm... Even I am getting 16kmpl with 100% AC but its in city! While I am on the highway, I get around 20kmpl. [:)]
It might increase over time. Just wait!

Thread Starter #37

Finally completed 1000kms on the odo today after 25 days of ownership.[clap]
25062010031.jpg
It has been a great experience till now.
Went on an early morning drive on NH-1 today and touched 140 without much effort. I could feel the car had more power but more importantly, it was completely stable on the road as long as the road was good!

On my way back on NH1 we entered Ambala City for some work. It has a lot of crowded small streets inside. To my horror got the first scratch on my Polo , though a small one but it still hurts. A motorcyclist coming from wrong side touched my left side ORVM.[frustration]
25062010028.jpg
25062010027.jpg
i hope the paint has not chipped off and some minor rubbing will remove the scratch.

Thread Starter #38

1 MONTH UPDATE

Finally completed 1 month with my Polo. The odo reads at 1150kms. i guess very well justified buying a diesel in today's scenario with my running.

Got the little scratch on the left ORVM removed by rubbing from a local mechanic and it went off completely.[:)] Was lucky as the paint did not chip off during the contact with the motorcyclist.

Things I've Liked about the Car

1. The engine is far more refined now then what it was at the time of delivery.Even the engine growl when the RPM is above 3k has reduced lately.

2. Driving pleasure is immense and the ride and handling is just good. But still not in the league of the Fiesta.

3. High speed stability is truly amazing. Even at 130kmph Polo showed no signs of any vibrations or swaying and it could have easily done more without any effort.

4. I can't believe i'am saying this but I'm falling in love with the Light steering of my Polo. It becomes so easy and fun to drive in the city. I find my cousin's Punto's steering damn heavy after driving this one.

5. I've already got so many compliments from people who were against the decision of me buying a 3 cylinder engine car and that to one of the most expensive hatchbacks in the country after just a drive of 5 odd kilometers in my car.One of my cousin uncle has already cancelled his swift zdi booking and is going for POLO highline Diesel. Although now i'm persuading him to go for the swift only as i will lose the exclusivity of owning a gorgeous German beauty in the family.[frustration]

6. Looks are just stunning. I still keep peeping outside my rooms window just to get a glance to adore my POLO. And now with the Alloy wheels and the upsized tyres it looks all the more gorgeous.

7. Fit & Finish of both the interiors as well as exteriors is impeccable. No panel gaps,no loose rubber beedings. No place in the whole car where one can point out any "Jugaadu" work done by the company. Truly appreciate that.

8. Turning Radius - Polo surely has one of the least turning radius of all the cars i've driven.In my Indica had to think twice before actually taking a U-turn in a congested road. In the Polo it literally is a child's play.[:D]

9. Niggle free till now. Haven't had any kinds of vibration or a loose nut or any funny noises in the cabin till date. Fingers crossed for the future.

Things that disappoint me about the Car

1. Mileage/Fuel Efficiency - I am getting around 16kmpl in a mix of city and highway driving. Although it might sound good enough but not for me. I have high standards set for my cars when it comes to FE. I am a very sedate driver and drive within the optimum gear limits to extract maximum mileage. My good old Indica used to return me 19-20kmpl with the same kind of driving.Fiesta returns in excess of 20kmpl everytime. So a little disappointed on that front.

2. This car deserves a better engine. No doubt about that. The present 1.2liter 3 cyl engine does its duty good enough but i think its too puny for a car like Polo. I would love to see if Volkswagen India plonks the 1.6Tdi engine of the Vento in Polo sometime in the future and make it an even hotter prospect for the buyers.

3. Turbo Lag is present and can be very well experienced in the 2nd and 3rd gears at below 1800-2000RPM. It needs a getting used to it though. Had some initial trouble in overtaking but now have my hands set on the gear ratios and i do keep the RPM above 1800 at all times to keep the turbo spooling in.

4. Beige interiors although look good but get spoiled very easlily. Very difficult to maintain.

Things that I would love to have in my Polo

1. Driver's arm rest. Searching for the one which is present in the Vento.

2. Rear Parking Sensors with camera. Like the one which has come in my Fluidic Verna. Would love to get something of that sort.

3. Rear defogger would have been nice. I would sorely miss it in the winters.

Adding a few pics of my Polo. Sorry for the low quality as they were taken from my phone.
IMG00205-20120511-1752.jpg
IMG00162-20120501-1737.jpg
IMG00206-20120511-1752.jpg
IMG00208-20120511-1753.jpg

Very well written and unbiased one month ownership report GM88, good to see you in love with your Polo i also love to see my Polo in front of me always. Agree with all your observations good work i couldn't express myself so well thanks for sharing your experience with all of us wishing you many more happy miles.

Sorry to see that scratches on your Polo's side mirror rubbing will help to hide them.

Hi GM I was way more late to congratulate for ur polo. I liked ur review after one month old polo.
Got to ask you about the front fog lights and the cost of that, If u could specify and brand name for the fog lights . As the company fitted fog lamps comes around 20k including fitting charges. Have u changed the head lamp bulbs if, please specify which would be better without any damage to the wiring which would void my insurance policy.
And also one thing regarding the woofer which could be used for my current company fitted music system.

Got to may questions to you ....

Thread Starter #41

Very well written and unbiased one month ownership report GM88, good to see you in love with your Polo i also love to see my Polo in front of me always. Agree with all your observations good work i couldn't express myself so well thanks for sharing your experience with all of us wishing you many more happy miles.

Sorry to see that scratches on your Polo's side mirror rubbing will help to hide them.
Thanks ToughGuy for your feedback and wishes. Yup I am loving every moment spent with the car.
I got that scratch removed from a mechanic. He appliead some rubbing compound and it went off immediately with mild rubbing. The car is scratchless again.[:D]

Hi GM I was way more late to congratulate for ur polo. I liked ur review after one month old polo.
Got to ask you about the front fog lights and the cost of that, If u could specify and brand name for the fog lights . As the company fitted fog lamps comes around 20k including fitting charges. Have u changed the head lamp bulbs if, please specify which would be better without any damage to the wiring which would void my insurance policy.
And also one thing regarding the woofer which could be used for my current company fitted music system.

Got to may questions to you ....
Thanks for the wishes Polotdicl.
1. Fog lights costed me Rs.3500 with the fitting. I would like to tell you that consult your dealer before going for them as it might void the electrical warranty. I asked my dealer and he said if the shopkeeper can give u a written certificate that no wire were cut during the installation then the electrical warranty should not get void. But again it all depends from dealer to dealer. The company name i really don't remember but i saw the same foglamps kept in almost 8-10 shops here.

2. I haven't changed the head lamps as yet. They are good enough for city use as my highway run is very limited. But surely will be upgrading them maybe in a month or two. Will let you know about this.

3.The stock speakers in doors are good enough but they really dont have any bass. Adding a subwoofer is possible which will improve the quality and bass. But i am not too sure if they will sound good with the stock door speakers because they are hardly 20-40watts.
I think better would be to change the speakers for now. Get components for front door add focal or kicker rear parcel speakers. They will sound great enough. I have just got the original HU of Polo and got rear kicker speakers and front JBL components. They sound great.[:)]

Hello GM88 I own a polo CL TDi
So can u please give me the name of the company of fog lamps or dealers number pls.
I want them!

Thanks a lot ToughGuy. CSD purchase is still closed but there is a procedure to get the car through a special sanction from Army Head Quarters ,New Delhi where you can get the car on CSD price from a specific Depot only. That's why I had to pick my car from Jalandhar.
hii.. can you please let me know the procedure to get car through csd and how much time does it take to get that sanction letter from delhi. i want to buy volkswagen vento HL.

GM88,

Nice review buddy. Appreciate it.
Have you installed puddle lights ? Didn't see in your review.
And as far as color is concerned, that is there even in our family (buy anything but not black). Whatever I say, at the end of the day, model is selected by me, color not. [confused] It has to be white always (be it hatch, sedan, big one or small one..never owned SUV but if we get one if at all, I am sure that too will again be white) and even I have started liking white. There is a replacement coming up for our hatch (last hatch, phew....never liked hatches) which will be again white.[glasses]

BTW, all the person whom I know own black color cars, these cars have met with severe accidents and all have stopped buying black, one chap even sold out his car when quite new as it was black. :D

Last edited:
Thread Starter #45

Hello GM88 I own a polo CL TDi
So can u please give me the name of the company of fog lamps or dealers number pls.
I want them!
well aakashadi i'm really sorry but i do not remember the company name of the fog lamps. But as far as i remember every auto shop here in chandigarh had them with similar pricing at each store. I will check the brand name tomorrow and get back to you. You should get them as they enhance the front look as well are handy in increasing the field of vision at night.

hii.. can you please let me know the procedure to get car through csd and how much time does it take to get that sanction letter from delhi. i want to buy volkswagen vento HL.
You have to get a special sanction from the army headquarters in delhi. Just write a letter to them that you wanna buy vento HL from xyz state. they will revert back in about 10-15 days with the approval. For better advice meet your local CSD depot incharge. He can guide you better on this.
GM88,

Nice review buddy. Appreciate it.
Have you installed puddle lights ? Didn't see in your review.
And as far as color is concerned, that is there even in our family (buy anything but not black). Whatever I say, at the end of the day, model is selected by me, color not. [confused] It has to be white always (be it hatch, sedan, big one or small one..never owned SUV but if we get one if at all, I am sure that too will again be white) and even I have started liking white. There is a replacement coming up for our hatch (last hatch, phew....never liked hatches) which will be again white.[glasses]

BTW, all the person whom I know own black color cars, these cars have met with severe accidents and all have stopped buying black, one chap even sold out his car when quite new as it was black. :D
Thanks a lot. Well i have not got the puddle lights fitted. And about the color,yes white goes universally to everyone's liking and requires very less maintenance. My previous ride Black Indica too got hit a few times. Don't really know if it was due to the color[roll] But i am sure my next car would be either red or black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom