Sporty Yet Elegant: My Volkswagen Polo TDI (2 Years & 20,000 Kms Completed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #496
Completed 35,000kms today and got the Polo new set of shoes. Apollo Accelere tyres in the car had worn out pretty much and it was about time I replaced them. Though wanted to stick with Apollo's only as they provided decent ride and handling. Michelin XM2 were on my radar but spending 6-7k more as compared to the Apollo's didn't make sense as the car is not expected to do much running in the near future either. [roll]

Got the Apollo Alnac R15 185/60. Costed INR 3700 per tyre. Wheel balancing and alignment were done too and the car drives much better now on new set of rubber. Only complaint from the previous tyres were that they got worn off rather early and I hope the same doesn't happen to these too. Will take more care this time with regular alignments and wheel rotation.

Here is a pic of the worn off Apollo Acceler tyre along with the ugly hole/chip I mentioned previously I got on my car's rear bumper while reversing. [frustration]

IMG_9446.jpg

New set of rubber - Apollo Alnac R15 185/60

IMG_9466.jpg
IMG_9472.jpg

Polo undergoing the necessary wheel-alignement after the tyre change

IMG_9473.jpg

Happen to have parked my car right beside a new Baleno in white. Couldn't resist to click a couple of pics to compare the two. My 3.5 years old Polo alongside a brand new Baleno

IMG_9469.jpg
IMG_9467.jpg

Couple of random shots from today

IMG_9477.jpg
IMG_9478.jpg

Completed 35,000kms today and got the Polo new set of shoes. Apollo Accelere tyres in the car had worn out pretty much and it was about time I replaced them. Though wanted to stick with Apollo's only as they provided decent ride and handling. Michelin XM2 were on my radar but spending 6-7k more as compared to the Apollo's didn't make sense as the car is not expected to do much running in the near future either. [roll]

Got the Apollo Alnac R15 185/60. Costed INR 3700 per tyre. Wheel balancing and alignment were done too and the car drives much better now on new set of rubber. Only complaint from the previous tyres were that they got worn off rather early and I hope the same doesn't happen to these too. Will take more care this time with regular alignments and wheel rotation.

Here is a pic of the worn off Apollo Acceler tyre along with the ugly hole/chip I mentioned previously I got on my car's rear bumper while reversing. [frustration]

View attachment 185822

New set of rubber - Apollo Alnac R15 185/60

View attachment 185823
View attachment 185824

Polo undergoing the necessary wheel-alignement after the tyre change

View attachment 185825

Happen to have parked my car right beside a new Baleno in white. Couldn't resist to click a couple of pics to compare the two. My 3.5 years old Polo alongside a brand new Baleno

View attachment 185826
View attachment 185827

Couple of random shots from today

View attachment 185828
View attachment 185829
Congrats on new shoes. But honestly i feel polo is looking awesome than baleno I'm feeling(Maybe It's only me) baleno is oddly shaped infront of polo.Polo is looking simple,elegant and awesome for me.
Cheers!!

I agree manish12345. Polo looks more elegant in the pic, the Baleno's front fender looks bulky from that angle.

Congrats GM88 for covering the 35k km milestone. Apollo Alnac are good tyres, now standard on New Polo and you got them for a decent price. And kudos to you for maintaining the car so well, the Polo looks only a month or two older than the Baleno in that pic. I notice that the finish of the alloys has started cracking/peeling, time to paint them to gunmetal grey! [:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #499
Congrats on new shoes. But honestly i feel polo is looking awesome than baleno I'm feeling(Maybe It's only me) baleno is oddly shaped infront of polo.Polo is looking simple,elegant and awesome for me.
Cheers!!
Thanks for that compliment mate. Yes Polo does have an understated time-less design which made me feel in love with it 4 years back and that continues even after so many other good looking hatchbacks have been launched in our market.

I agree manish12345. Polo looks more elegant in the pic, the Baleno's front fender looks bulky from that angle.

Congrats GM88 for covering the 35k km milestone. Apollo Alnac are good tyres, now standard on New Polo and you got them for a decent price. And kudos to you for maintaining the car so well, the Polo looks only a month or two older than the Baleno in that pic. I notice that the finish of the alloys has started cracking/peeling, time to paint them to gunmetal grey! [:)]
Thanks a lot mate. That's a huge compliment I must say. Regarding the new tyres, yes i got them at pretty amazing price after bargaining a bit. Yes the alloys have some cracks on the corners and needs to be addressed. Gunmetal grey should look good I guess. Let me try photoshopping it and see how it'll look on my car. By the way, any idea how much would it cost to get them painted in gunmetal grey?

Depends on the professionalism of the painter and quality of paint used. It should not cost more than 1k per wheel at any cost. In Delhi, you can get it done for 2-2.5k. Gunmetal grey, matte black and other darker colours would look good IMO.

Thread Starter #502
Thanks guys. Will check in the local auto market here as well. Although I'm a little apprehensive about it at the first place. I think the chrome really goes along with the white shade. How about I get it chrome polished/painted itself and make it feel as new if that is a possibility?

Gun-metal does look good, but I guess I have a pre-notion that i'll get bored of it rather quickly. Rest let me see if I can convince myself on taking the plunge.

Thanks guys. Will check in the local auto market here as well. Although I'm a little apprehensive about it at the first place. I think the chrome really goes along with the white shade. How about I get it chrome polished/painted itself and make it feel as new if that is a possibility?

Gun-metal does look good, but I guess I have a pre-notion that i'll get bored of it rather quickly. Rest let me see if I can convince myself on taking the plunge.
Chrome plating would be an expensive (slightly) option but the major thing is the durability, as it will be a dip and not a powder coat like gunmetal grey.

You can try silver to achieve the closest possible stock look.

Thread Starter #504
A small travelogue

After ages did a road trip with the Polo. It was all planned spontaneously. Couple of college friends from Pune called me up on 12th Dec as they wanted to do a small 3-4 days trip anywhere in North India. They had been to my place multiple times and I had previously taken them to various tourist destinations such as Dharamshala,Mcleodganj, Shimla, Dalhousie, Rishikesh, Mussorie, etc. So places left for a short 4 day trip were rather few. Decided to head to Jim Corbett National park this time. Started asking people who had recently visited there and came to know it was more or less an off-season right now and finding an accommodation outside would not be much of a trouble. Called up a few other friends and two more were ready to join in, one putting up at Dehradun and the other one studying at Moradabad. And in addition we made a plan that if we are done with sight-seeing at Corbett early then we will head to Nanital for a day.

A short summary of the trip -

Itenary

1. Day 1 - Chandigarh to Jim Corbett National park via Delhi. (494kms)
2. Day 2 - Jim Corbett to Nanital (95kms approximately)
3. Day 3 - Nanital local sight seeing(30-40kms)
4. Day 4 - Nanital to Chandigarh via Delhi (560kms)

Day 1, 15th Dec, woke up early and was in the car at 4.30AM. Had already got the fuel filled and tyre pressure as well as pollution check done last night.

Getting the pollution certificate -
IMG_9744.JPG

I travel light.
IMG_9746.JPG

Hit the highway in no time and I was already cruising at speeds of 120-130kmph. Fortunately, there was no signs of fog that morning. With literally no traffic on the roads, I was at Karnal at 5.45AM. My friends train were to reach New Delhi station at 7.10AM and figuring how the Indian railways work, I was safely presuming them to be late by an hour at the least. Gosh, I was so wrong and they had arrived before time. Anyways, I was at Ajmeri Gate,New delhi railway station exactly at 7.30AM. Picked up my friends from there and we straight headed towards Jim Corbett with a slight detour to Moradabad to pick another friend.

Untitled.png

Crossing Ghaziabad was a big pain as there was a good amount of morning office goers coming from every possible side imagine. I guess I've not verbally and mentally abused people like I did in those 30-35 minutes of chaotic traffic in Ghaziabad. Thereafter the roads were smooth and we were again cruising at great speeds. Polo was pretty stable and there was no amount of nervousness felt. We halted at McDonald's 25kms short of Moradabad for a quick breakfast and by 11AM we were at Moradabad.

Our first pitstop - McDonald's on NH24 at Gajraula
IMG_9749.JPG

We had a nice 2 hour halt there and after that we started for Jim Corbett via Kashipur. Roads again were really good, though it was 2 lane highway at places.

In Kashipur, we met our other friend who drove in his Cruze from Dehradun and then the 2 car convoy finally reached Jim Corbett around 3.15pm. We had no bookings done, so we started looking for some nice resorts there and as to our expectations they were more or less quite empty. Decided to stay in a place named Corbett Rattan as they provided us with independent huts at pretty nominal prices along with complimentary dinner and breakfast. I must say the hospitality they gave us was outstanding and I would really recommend it someone heading to Jim Corbett.

Our independent huts at Corbett Rattan
IMG_9787.JPG

DSC_0437.JPG

Other rooms also available
IMG_9785.JPG

Small parking lot.
IMG_9786.JPG

We had a lovely bonfire evening followed by a nice homely cooked dinner. Morning 6AM we were supposed to head for the Jeep jungle safari so the plan was to retire to bed early. But as we all were meeting after a good 6 months, the party went quite late in the night.

Next morning, we got up a tad bit late but were there in the Gypsy at 6.15am. The temperature must have been around 5-6 degrees and with the wind felt sitting in an open Gypsy, even 3 layers of woolen felt quite inadequate. We headed from the Dhikala gate and to our bad luck we could not sight any tigers although some fresh footprints of their paws were captured in the lens. Lots of deers, jackals, wild-bores and other animals were seen. 3 hour long jungle safari was quite an enjoyable treat and our guide too had lots of nifty facts and files up his sleeves to keep our attentions grabbed even in half asleep state. [:D]

Here are a few snaps for our safari ride inside Jim Corbett

IMG_9767.JPG

IMG_9769.JPG

IMG_9772.JPG

IMG_9773.JPG

IMG_9777.JPG

IMG_9780.JPG

IMG_9782.JPG

DSC_0397.JPG

DSC_0406.JPG

We came back to our resort at 9.30AM and had a sumptuous breakfast there and told the resort manager that if possible we will be checking out a little late around 2PM as were to catch up with some more sleep. We checked out at 2PM and headed towards Nanital. The roads again were pretty amazing and we stopped in between for a cup of coffee and a little picture sessions and still managed to reach Nanital at around 4.30pm.

Some random pics clicked enroute Nainital -

IMG_9822.JPG

IMG_9826.JPG

DSC_0443.JPG

IMG_9829.JPG

IMG_9831.JPG

IMG_9832.JPG

We checked in there at the Holiday home which is bang on the lake and freshened up a bit. There-after we went exploring the town, but it had already become dark by then.

IMG_9857.JPG

IMG_9858.JPG

We went to the local Tibetean market and had some delicious Momos there. After that we headed to hotel Viceroy for dinner and it was quite an enjoyable place to be in. Came back to our rooms and our music jamming session started with one guy playing his guitar and the rest singing in absolute no sync. College memories refreshed.

Next morning we got up really late and after freshening up headed straight to Naina devi temple. After that we explored the mall road of Nainital and after that headed to Boat club Nainital for a lunch. One of the oldest properties there and what a beautiful location it has. We had a great time there. There-after we headed for the much awaited boat ride in the lake. Temperatures were dropping as the sunshine was fast vanishing under the thick cloud cover and the cold winds were creeping in. Since we were 5 of us, we had to hire 2 boats as 1 boat only caters to a maximum of 4 people. We had a crazy time during our boat ride. By the time we got down from them it was almost dark. We started strolling again and saw a nice restaurant named Chandni Chowk. We had all sorts of unhealthy food there starting from dozens of Jalebis to other sweet stuff. After that we headed back to our rooms and the chit-chat started again as our short trip was coming to an end. Next morning we were to depart back for Delhi and then I'll have to drive back to Chandigarh all by myself again.

DSC_0491.JPG

DSC_0492.JPG

DSC_0559.JPG

DSC_0561.JPG

DSC_0562.JPG

DSC_0573.JPG

DSC_0600.JPG

DSC_0613.JPG

DSC_0674.JPG

We checked out and started our journey back from Nanital at 5.45AM. Polo had a thick layer of sleet all over it as temperatures were nearing zero at that hour. Polo was signalling the snow-flake sign signalling a temperature of 2 degrees. Quick splash of water all over and the heater was switched on and the windshields cleared up.

IMG_9923.JPG

IMG_9924.JPG

We went again till Kashipur and was following my friends Cruze. Keep the car in the right gear and it was more or less able to keep along the car in front. We bid adieu to our friend who was driving the Cruze somewhere on the highway close to IIM Kashipur and we headed towards Moradabad. This was the first time we experienced fog in our trip and it was pretty dense at places. Still we managed to be there at Moradabad by 9am. Dropped the other friend there and started again and stopped at Bikanerwala on the highway for a quick breakfast. Then again entered Ghaziabad with the Google maps on as we were heading towards Cannaught Place as we had a couple of hours to ourselves before my other two friends had their flights back to Pune. Chaos again with some broken patches of roads in Ghaziabad, we managed to pass through and reach CP at around 1.30pm. Went to our favorite hangout spot there - The Warehouse cafe for a quick bite and therafter a little novel shopping from the roadside vendors.

Indian flag waving high at Cannaught Place, New Delhi

IMG_9927.JPG

At around 3.30pm, we headed to the New Delhi railway station where my friends took the Airport express metro and I headed my way back to Chandigarh. With some help from google maps I reached the bypass at around 4.45pm and was again crusing at decent speeds.

Smooth 6 lane NH1 from New Delhi to Chandigarh

IMG_9928.JPG

I halted at Savoy Greens at Karnal for a cup of hot coffee as I was feeling a little dizzy since I had been sleep deprived for the last 4 days. All refreshed started for the last 125kms of the jouney and was home in Chandigarh at 8.15pm.

Did 1197kms in total in the 4 days and loved every bit of it. Polo performed extremely well all along the highways. It was at an absolute ease at triple digit speeds. No under-belly hits anywhere as roads were pretty good everywhere I drove. I loved cornering it in those ghat sections on the way to Nainital as well.

IMG_9993.JPG

Rather a couple of days later I did about 570kms to and fro to Meerut from Chandigarh in our new Creta and somehow the level of ease and comfort the Polo gave me out on the NH1, Creta simply could not match it. Will write about that 1 day trip too in detail later. Sorry I did not click better pics in peace as we all friends were busy catching up with each other rather than to be interested in to see what's around us.[:)]

Total fuel consumed - 62 liters
Distance traveled - 1197kms
Fuel efficiency - 19.3kmpl

This is a beyond expectation fuel efficiency figure for me considering I drove mostly in speeds excess of 110kmph except for the twisty hill sections near Nainital . Pretty happy to say the least. Got the car a nice wash after coming back and its again gleaming back to glory. And my indefinite love for the Polo continues.

IMG_9584.JPG

Sorry bro. Your wheel's extreme shiny chrome shade spoils it for me. If you can get a shade closer to the shade of Silver Polo to paint your rims with, it would look more classy.

For your white car, even metallic black would work. Well, everything except that hideous chrome.

That travelogue was awesome.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #506
Sorry bro. Your wheel's extreme shiny chrome shade spoils it for me. If you can get a shade closer to the shade of Silver Polo to paint your rims with, it would look more classy.

For your white car, even metallic black would work. Well, everything except that hideous chrome.
Chrome is out dated I know but I feel these multi-spoke rims have aged quite decently. One has to see it in real to make a better judgement. I'm really not a fan of black rims, unless if its a Thar. Gunmetal shade is something I was thinking about but then I would rather pick up a new set of wheels than getting the current one painted. Plus I'm in two minds of doing anything for now as I'm heading abroad for a good 4 months early 2016 and the car will be standing idle all this while. Dad is suggesting to sell the car off as my stay there might get extended to even 6 months, but I'm in no mood to part ways just yet. Though, any sort of upgrades on the car will have to wait a little.

That travelogue was awesome.
Thanks a lot.

Hey Gaurav,how's your Polo doing?And,I have seen in other forum that you are planning to buy a new car replacing Ford Fiesta.Is it true?

And,belated congratulations for buying Creta.And,where's the ownership review of your Creta?

hi GM88 nicely maintained polo you got there. It makes me immensely happy that you have trouble free ownership experience over the years. Wish you many more trouble free miles. [clap]

Thread Starter #509
Hey Gaurav,how's your Polo doing?And,I have seen in other forum that you are planning to buy a new car replacing Ford Fiesta.Is it true?

And,belated congratulations for buying Creta.And,where's the ownership review of your Creta?
Extremely sorry for this late reply. I had not checked the thread for a while. Polo has been doing good I guess. I've been in London for past 5 months so have not seen the car but keep getting regular updates from Dad that the car is doing fine and he makes a point to alternate his ride every other day so that Polo doesn't remain stranded for a long time.

Thanks a lot for the Creta. Ownership review I will pen down when I get back to India. Maybe in July end when the Creta will turn 1 year old. Yes, looking for another car, but plans have been put on hold as my future still remains a bit uncertain as I might have to continue here in UK for a couple of more years. In that case, the new car plans will be shelved off as there are more cars in the house than people driving. [frustration]

hi GM88 nicely maintained polo you got there. It makes me immensely happy that you have trouble free ownership experience over the years. Wish you many more trouble free miles. [clap]
Thanks a lot jazzyb5454. My ownership has been completely trouble free and believe me I've abused the car sometimes on the highway too, but it has never failed me to surprise. There have been an instance when the car was completely idle for a good month or so. Came back and was thinking surely something will start acting weird but thankfully half a crank and the engine came back to life, no hiccups, no tantrums. Its as reliable as any other car in our stable. I've not been able to spend as much time with the car as I would have liked but I'm happy I could spend whatsoever I could and hopefully in the future too.

Car had done about 38,000kms in Jan 2016 when I left for London. I'm not updated with the odo reading as of now but I'm sure it would not have crossed 40,000kms mark also as my father just takes it out for a 5-7km every other day as he takes his own car for his daily schedules. I could have sold the Polo in Jan itself, but there is just too much attachment with this little one that I'm sure its not going anywhere for a couple of years more even if I'm away here.

Thread Starter #510
With a heavy heart would like to inform, that my beloved Polo was sold off yesterday. Although i know it was going to happen someday soon but I had hoped to have this car in our garage for as long as possible. The special bond you have with your first personal car is something which cannot be explained in words. I have been in UK for almost 1 year now and the car was just sitting idle at home. I had asked Dad to not sell it at any cost as I was still in absolute love with it, as much as I was at the day I got it out from the showroom. But then I got a call from Dad 5 days back, mentioning I have a few buyers for your car and being offered a decent price for it. And being the Army dad he is, ordered me to act like an adult and stop being a cranky kid. Had to give in to his lecture and said yes and go ahead with the process.

Something about my Polo. What a beautifully crafted machine I would say. Absolutely no niggles in my complete ownership, not even a mild squeak or creak, it was that good. No hiccups in the entire ownership. The car used to be sitting idle for months and then start in half a crank. That was the amount of confidence I had in this vehicle. So many amazing memories attached, so many wonderful times, so many territories conquered.

I have had 3 more cars in our garage during the ownership of Polo, all of them being more expensive than Polo, yet this is the one which I love driving the most. Even with the new ones coming in the house, I would take the Polo out for a spin when I was bored or need something to put a smile on my face. I have had niggles with the Fiesta, Verna and even Creta now, and the notion is VW's are not reliable. Guess each one has his own experiences.

Would I buy a Polo again? Without a blink of an eye.
Would I buy a VW again? Yes, I have had a wonderful experience with VW aftersales in Chandigarh.

Car had done 42k on odo in 4 years 8 months. Sold for 4Lacs.
Was bought for 5.32 Lacs through CSD in April 2012, on road price with all accessories costed about 5.9Lacs.

I feel a little empty from inside today, even sitting thousands of miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom