Sporty Yet Elegant: My Volkswagen Polo TDI (2 Years & 20,000 Kms Completed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sporty Yet Elegant: My Candy White Volkswagen Polo TDI

So to recount, I have a 2011 Polo 1.6L high line that came with the old MP3-only OEM stereo. I switched that out with the RCD510 using a wiring adapter I bought from Sugesh @ Vagtune.in. Now once I installed it the stereo button backlights weren't working, and neither was the system switching on/off with the ignition.

To rectify these issues I had to take the CANbus +ve cable to PIN #20 on the BCM, and the CANbus -ve cable to PIN #21. But trying to figure out which were the correct pins, and how to get them fitted, was a big pain in the butt. Finally I made my way down to the VW service centre to figure it our for myself.

Happy to say got it to work finally!! VW refused to do the installation out of fear of liability but they were happy to let me click snaps of their service terminal. I then found a guy with the required electrical nous and happy to say this ordeal is over! He even put in place a jugaadu solution for the radio antenna (the pin of the old stereo and the RCD510 is different, requiring another Rs 2k adapter from Vagtune). In hindsight I might have just put in more money and plonked for the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835, but anyways can't complain too much right now.

As an aside also got some leather+suede seats put in - this again was a ground up effort where I picked out the material, the stitching, and found a good guy to make sure the seats look OEM fitted.

All pictures are below.
Hi Gaurav,

Recently i had swapped the OEM head unit (RCD 030) in my Polo Highline to RCD 510 which i bought from Vagtune along with adpaters. I am yet to connect the CANBUS wires to the BCM. The local VW service centre told they will do it but it requires removal of dashboard. Just wanted to know how you were able to access the BCM and made the coonection. Did you remove the dashboard or accessed under the footwell? Actually I did a DIY using your instructions. Going under the footwell, I was able to remove the white plug from the BCM but was not able to remove the shell to access the wiring inside. Did you use any tool to remove? Can u shed some details?

Thanks.

Hey Senthils, the guy I found went from the foot well.......once you see the white cover you should just be able to pull it off. Its been a while and since I wasn't the one who took it off I'm having trouble remembering how exactly it worked. I'm sure if I was able to find a guy to do it in Nagpur you'll be able to find someone to do it for you in Chennai (if you haven't already). Good luck!

Thread Starter #483
First of all apologizing to all my fellow TAI-gers for disappearing for so long and not updating this thread like earlier. Had got caught up with work and career related things.

In Kochi, Kerala these days for a few weeks for some work and seeing such amazingly decked up Polo's here makes me miss my Polo all the very more. The little beauty will be standing idle till December end.

I've already had a bad episode when the Verna was left idle for 2 months in July-August. So have given the keys of the Polo to a friend to take care of her till that time.

Here is a pic of me completing 26,000kms with her about a few days back.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Absolutely no tantrums or hiccups till date. The car runs as good as it came from the showroom.

Dear all members kindly help me " I have polo comfortline 2012 model and i have RCD220 radio installed in it and when i had upgrade it to RCN210 there in no lights in radio and radio is not turns off when it do ignition off and while pressing phone button it say KEYOFF what is the problem and how can i get rid of this ? Today surfing on net i also found one module i attached image of it.Owner of that shop say it will solve your problem.Can anyone from group had tried it if yes please reply waiting for reply.
Thanks in adwance

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Sporty yet Elegant... My CANDY WHITE POLO TDI..

software which plays if you select the same frequency on the audio system as being transmitted by the phone. Works just perfect for me.

Radio transmission app[confused]. Where did you got that app, are you downloaded from playstore. Congrats man but you should consider highline variant. Anyway god bless you nd your car[:)]

Hai govind sharma
i also have the same problem by installing rcn 220 (rcd320). my car is polo comfortline 2012 and has a stock system rcd030 which has only cd player.
does your problem get solved ? .can wa connect can+ &cangnd pins to #20 pin & #21pin in BCM as gauravsangtani said in this forum .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ,

My Polo Trendline is ready to be delivered tomorrow. It doesn't come with any music system. I was lucky to get RCD320 from my friend who just purchased a polo GTI 2 weeks before and upgraded to Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835.. As I fear the outsiders will tamper something during installation which will void my warranty today i went to my VW showroom and requested them to add this system and deliver the car. To my surprise the said Big No and then after I insisted them they where ok but charged me 500 INR for 10mins work. Again to surprise me more they said the bluetooth connectivity and button light for the system will not work [frustration]. Now I am totally nuts. As of now I am not looking for any bluetooth but atleast my button light should work or else it will be hard to use it at night..Could any one help me so that my RCD320 system button lights work. I am in bangalore. Does any VW showroom in bangalore get it done.

Thread Starter #488
Really long since I updated this thread. The car has not been running a lot lately. There are weeks when it is completely stranded as I've been traveling a lot lately and most of it happens by air. How I wish I could drive my Polo to all these places. [;)]

Anyways, on the car front, amidst the infamous Volkswagen emission scandal, the respect for the manufacturer has been reduced quite a bit. Not a blind fanboy anymore as before. Although, have literally no regrets on the decision of buying the Polo. It still puts an instant smile on my face whenever I'm in the driving seat and I'm still madly in love with those straight lines and understated design. No niggles whatsoever. Everything is in absolute new condition. Even after being stranded for weeks, it starts on half a crank to the ignition. Haven't done any long drives in it either this year but some nice plans are in the pipeline for mid december. Hopefully, things work out and I get to drive more of the Polo.

Have just done the regular tyre rotations and alignment but the Appolo Accelere will be changed for a new set of shoes soon as they have more or less worn off. Car has done 33,333kms as of date after 3 and half years. Too less a running I know but can't really help it.

IMG_7486.JPG

Have got an ugly scratch or rather a hole in the rear bumper recently. Was reversing the car in a marketplace and was completely unaware of a 2 wheeler parked right behind my car. A protruded part of the two wheeler went through and through the rear bumper and created a small hole. I'm really not sure what exactly can be done about it. Replacing the bumper for such a small thing would be foolish. Will upload a pic of it tomorrow for some suggestions on how to get it fixed.

In other news, got a new member in the garage. Hyundai Creta 1.6SX+ CRDI. Haven't driven it much myself as it is primarily being driven by Dad and I have been out of town for most of the while. Will pen down an ownership review for it next month when I'll spend some good amount of time driving it.

IMG_7463.JPG

Hi GM88. Congrats on the Creta. Been about an year since I logged in here. Have to go through a lot of posts.

If I remember correctly, you got your Polo the CSD route. I sold my Polo 6 months back and scouting for a new car. Here are my questions

1. My uncle is a ex-serviceman. Is it possible to get the car from CSD and pay off the loan from my account as a co-applicant?
2. How much was the price difference?

Thread Starter #491
Simple Just stick a Tai sticker on that hold!!
Yes that is also in contention. But I would prefer to get it repaired rather than pasting a sticker to hide it. I already have one on the rear windshield and don't want to overdo it.

Hi GM88. Congrats on the Creta. Been about an year since I logged in here. Have to go through a lot of posts.

If I remember correctly, you got your Polo the CSD route.
Thanks a lot greaet. Well we didn't buy the Creta through CSD this time. Firstly, it being a new model, its not available through CSD. Maybe in another couple of months it will be introduced in the CSD. Secondly, a minimum period of 4 years is there between your next purchase through CSD. Since we got the Polo in April 2012 through CSD, we will be eligible for a next purchase through it only after April 2016.

1. My uncle is a ex-serviceman. Is it possible to get the car from CSD and pay off the loan from my account as a co-applicant?
In your case, I believe if the car you get through CSD will be billed on your uncle's name and so the loan will also be on his name. Not sure, but that's my understanding.

2. How much was the price difference?
Generally the price difference is about 10% of the ex-showroom price but it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. In my case, when I got the Polo diesel, ex-showroom price was about 5.8Lakhs whereas in CSD it was 5.3Lakhs. So about 50k less which accounts to about 9% less.

I sold my Polo 6 months back and scouting for a new car. Here are my questions
If I may ask, any particular reasons for selling the Polo? Any mechanical issues with the car?

No issues whatsoever. I had a Petrol HL and my running was too high. 1yr and 35000kms. Secondly, I met with a horrible accident wherein it was the Polo that saved my life but then decided to sell the car.

Now I'm looking for a diesel car and I have decided on the Polo Diesel HL. Took back to back test drive of elite i20 and Polo. Didn't like the i20 much and mom said "close your eyes and go for the Polo".

So I've decided on the Polo Diesel HL. The updates are actually good. The electrically foldable OVRMs, cruise control etc etc.

Went to the same SA who gave me the Polo P. He has offered me 60K cash discount and free accessories. Do you think that's a good discount? Is there any room for further negotiation?

BTW, does the RCD510 come with Bluetooth and Navigation? If Bluetooth is available, does it give an option to list all the contacts and type in number through the screen?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #493
No issues whatsoever. I had a Petrol HL and my running was too high. 1yr and 35000kms. Secondly, I met with a horrible accident wherein it was the Polo that saved my life but then decided to sell the car.
Sad that your car met with the accident but happy to know that you came out safely out of it. Polo's strong built quality is surely a re-assuring factor out on the roads.

Now I'm looking for a diesel car and I have decided on the Polo Diesel HL. Took back to back test drive of elite i20 and Polo. Didn't like the i20 much and mom said "close your eyes and go for the Polo".

So I've decided on the Polo Diesel HL. The updates are actually good. The electrically foldable OVRMs, cruise control etc etc.

Went to the same SA who gave me the Polo P. He has offered me 60K cash discount and free accessories. Do you think that's a good discount? Is there any room for further negotiation?
Good that your heading to buy another Polo. Yes the new updates has a lot of useful features and the car really is up to date with a much better 1.5TDI engine now. I'm in absolute love with the new flat bottom steering design. Its really chunky looking and very meaty to hold. 60k cash discount seems to be in-line with the ongoing discounts. You can bargain him for some more freebies like car mats, mud flaps, etc.

BTW, does the RCD510 come with Bluetooth and Navigation? If Bluetooth is available, does it give an option to list all the contacts and type in number through the screen?
With the RCD510 you will have to buy a bluetooth module as well which is a simple plug and play. However, I'm not sure it has navigation. Go through some threads available online and you'll get the complete information about the unit.

Hi GM88,

I am new to this forum and i must say you have maintained a nice thread.
Have read it in one go and loved each and every part of it specially your initial review and Dalhousie snowfall episode.

Just like you, have got myself a white Polo TDi Highline just 2 months back.
And its a sheer joy driving it and m falling in love with it by each day passing.

Inspired to write my own thread after reading yours and toughguy's threads.
Hopefully soon.

A Teaser Pic of my German beauty !!

Attachments

Thread Starter #495
Hi GM88,

I am new to this forum and i must say you have maintained a nice thread.
Have read it in one go and loved each and every part of it specially your initial review and Dalhousie snowfall episode.

Just like u, have got myself a white Polo TDi Highline just 2 months back.
And its a sheer joy driving it and m falling in love wid it by each day passing.

Inspired to write my own thread after reading yours and toughguy's threads.
Hopefully soon.
Thanks a lot. I've not done much justice to this thread or either the car for that matter for the last 12 months. I've been mostly out of Chandigarh and the car has not clocked many kilometers lately either. Glad you liked the thread. I've had some great experiences with the Polo, Dalhousie drives were among them.

Heartiest congratulations on your Polo TDI. The new 1.5TDI is much much better than the old 1.2TDI which I have. We shall be eagerly waiting to read your ownership review of the car. Till then, keep munching miles with your German beauty. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom