Spicing Your New Car – Must Consider Accessories

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
You would agree that accessories are a vital part to enhance the utility of any car. Some prefer to keep their rides in stock state while others try to over-accessorize which ends up as a disaster. It is important to maintain a balance between both, The Automotive India has come up with a list of basic accessories which are a must consider for any car owner.

Basic “Exterior” Accessories

cover.jpg

> Car Covers: This helps to a considerable extent to maintain the novelty of a car and protect it from unwanted environment particles, bird droppings, and direct sun light which are a hazard for the car’s paint. Depending upon the car model and material of the cover, the pricing starts from 500 bucks onwards.

> Mud Flaps: Mud flaps protect your as well as the nearby vehicles from mud and debris flung our by the tyres. Normally they are offered complementary with a new car. Don't forget to ask the dealer for yours.

> Bumper & Door Rub Guards: Good quality bumper and door rub guards could protect common scratch prone areas. It's useful especially in cities where one has to struggle in bumper to bumper traffic everyday.

> Sun Protection Films: Thanks to the rising mercury, sunfilms are the need of the day. You will find a wide range of tints out there of various reputed brands like Llumar, 3M, Garware etc. While the use of reflective films is banned across India, Do make sure to install legal RTO approved films only with 50% VLT on side and 70VLT on front and rear windshields. (May 2012 Update: As per recent order by H'ble Supreme Court - Use of sunfilms has been totally banned in India)

Basic “Interior” Accessories

perfumea.jpg

> Air Fresheners: Very small yet useful addition. A car perfume greatly helps to maintain a fresh and lively atmosphere inside the car. Ambi Pur is one of the popular brands. It should not cost more than 200 bucks.

> Floor Mats: The car’s carpet is very prone getting spoil with Dust, Mud etc. due to frequent use and cleaning them without a dry-cleaning machine is next to impossible. To make your job easier, A simple set of floor mats could be much useful. Along with this, We advice you that before entering inside the car, Always make sure to dust shoes and develop this as your habit.

> Steering Wheel Cover: For advanced grip on steering, It is wise to get a quality steering wheel cover. These covers are available as both, Ready Made as well as Custom made and their cost starts from Rs.300+ depending upon the quality and material used.

> Seat Covers: Replacing complete car seats is not an everyday task. So, in order to keep your seats like new always, Consider installing some good quality seat covers which match with your car’s interior color combination. I’d personally pick one with tinge of wooden finish when it comes to beige.

Advanced Accessories

audiosystem.jpg

> Music System: Now a days, Most of the new cars come Pre-equipped with audio systems but some base variants still do not even feature them. Although, for complete audiophiles it may not be a disappointing news because standard car audio units does not offer that “Sound Factor”. Moreover, There is a HUGE market for In-car Entertainment once you step out, Starting from cheap Rs.2,000 Head units to Rs.2 Lakh+ Set-ups.

> Alloy Wheels: Big, small, chrome, matte black and more! You just name them, which kind of alloys are not available in market? Alloy wheels are always in a popular demand and modifier's favorite when it comes to improving looks of a car, Interestingly, Alloys does not only enhance the looks but are believed to improve Fuel Efficiency and Mileage to an extent because of their light weight nature in comparison to stock steel rims .

> Reverse Parking Sensors / Camera: Reverse parking sensors are mainly recommended for the sedans with huge bugling boot providing zero vision. The sensors tell whether there is an object behind the vehicle while reversing OR if you opt for a Reverse Camera, The complete view of behind the vehicle can be seen on a screen in front!

> HID-Xenon Lamps: Similarly like Alloy wheels, Xenon HID (High-Intensity Discharge) lamps are not only a show-off addition but in a way, useful too. The good quality xenon lamps add day to the night, Thus, offering a great visibility and do not at all strain the eyes of oncoming motorists. Philips is one of a recommended brand.

> Global Positioning System: GPS is a really useful gadget and with the time, it is only getting widespread in Indian market. Initially the price of one was Rs.15,000 - 30,000 but now a “Map My India” GPS can be yours only at Rs.8,500+

Basic Safety Accessories

bmwchildseat.jpg

> First Aid Kit: This is provided as complementary by all auto-manufacturers with every new car. You should find it somewhere in the glove box and it is much better if kit is not moved elsewhere than it, Like inside your house.

> Fire Extinguisher: This is best safety feature one can easily add in their car. While installing, make sure to place it somewhere near driver’s reach, A-Pillar or under front seats are best locations.

> Child Seat: “My child won't always remain small, so why should I bother spending money on a child seat?” - Do you still have this impression in mind? If so, it is High time to clear it up before it is too late to understand their value. If there is young one in home who travels through car, Get a child seat immediately.

Important Security Accessories

aps997.jpg

> Steering / Gear Locks: In the celebration of new car and other accessories, We generally overlook the security factor of our car and learn only after something happens. In an effort to make the car secure, Steering and Gear lock should be very first and important additions.

> Central Locking: Though most of the thieves are familiar to break down central locking, this could still be a considered helpful to prevent theft.

> Black Box: The best car security feature I have heard about yet and our friend raj_5004 recently installed one in his Mahindra Scorpio. A black-box is Multi-purpose gadget which has many benefits, Including, to prevent theft or track the location of car in-case you have handed over it to someone else.

Related Links:

Drive Safe,
350Z

(C) 2010 The Automotive India. All Rights Reserved. This article can not be reproduced in any form without the written permission of our authorities.

a very comprehensive list above.

however i do not agree to steering wheel covers as 'basic' interior accessories. i have always driven cars without steering wheels covers (from the 800 to my scorpio to a merc) & have always disliked these covers.

nice list!
but i agree with raj on the steering cover point, its not that necessary!
Over here, just a normal security alarm theft system is enough!

Well compiled thread.

I would like to add "Fog Lamp" as a must accessories. I always feel that it could be life saver in case main headlamps goes kaput at wrong place/time.

Well compiled thread.

I would like to add "Fog Lamp" as a must accessories. I always feel that it could be life saver in case main headlamps goes kaput at wrong place/time.
but if i know my headlight is going to go kaput, i wont use the car in night!![cheers]

But you never know when your headlamp is going to go kaput![;)]

Anyways a great thread 350Z and a must read for new car buyers!

Well compiled thread.

+1.
Fog lamps do help in such situations and they do have sufficient intensity to help us drive though dark.

Arun

Suspended
For all I know, a fog lamp is always connected along with the main headlamps. Now, if the headlamp goes kaput due to a fuse, your fog wont work, unless you have a separate fuse!

Now, there are some things that you MUST keep in your car which include

1. First Aid
  2. Torch
  3. A rope
  4. An empty bottle

Also, it is advisable to keep a pen knife handy. Now, the first aid is self explanatory, on why it is needed. You'll need the rope to tow/ get towed out of a situation. An empty bottle, if you run out of fuel!

Keep the revvs high!

Arun.

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team
The idea of this thread is to guide about some of the general Accessories/Add-Ons which are must consider in a New car and this is Not about what precautions to take while going on a long drive or so.

a very comprehensive list above. however i do not agree to steering wheel covers as 'basic' interior accessories. i have always driven cars without steering wheels covers (from the 800 to my scorpio to a merc) & have always disliked these covers.
That’s entirely a personal opinion. You don’t prefer to use them doesn’t translates that it is not advisable for others as well.

Well compiled thread.I would like to add "Fog Lamp" as a must accessories. I always feel that it could be life saver in case main headlamps goes kaput at wrong place/time.
Instead of shelling around Rs.4,000+, Best would be to keep additional headlamp bulbs along which are provided with every new car. In fact not only bulb but complete emergency kit is provided with all the cars which include Hazard warning triangle, Bulbs, First Aid Kit, Fuses etc.

Drive Safe,
350Z

That’s entirely a personal opinion. You don’t prefer to use them doesn’t translates that it is not advisable for others as well.
of course, but what i meant that a steering cover cannot be considered as a basic accessory. its not essential to have steering wheel covers as is the case with seat covers & floor mats.

Instead of shelling around Rs.4,000+, Best would be to keep additional headlamp bulbs along which are provided with every new car. In fact not only bulb but complete emergency kit is provided with all the cars which include Hazard warning triangle, Bulbs, First Aid Kit, Fuses etc.
i feel fog lights serve another purpose, to provide additional lighting in dark areas & foggy weather.

Please note that according to our country’s current laws, It is compulsory to have at least 50 percent visibility on window films you install and use of reflective film is banned for certain reasons.
+ to what 350Z mentioned, 50% visibility is for side windows. Its compulsory to have min. 70% visibility in front and rear windows.

Instead of shelling around Rs.4,000+, Best would be to keep additional headlamp bulbs along which are provided with every new car.
I don't think one wants to stop the car in night and start changing the bulb himself/herself. Mind it this situtation might occur in night. But yes its pricey, for what it offers, but I beleive very useful.
Also, if its not provided as OE, good to have rear fog-lamp as well. Heavy rain, its a must.

I don't think one wants to stop the car in night and start changing the bulb himself/herself. Mind it this situtation might occur in night. But yes its pricey, for what it offers, but I beleive very useful.
Agree with you.

Also, if its not provided as OE, good to have rear fog-lamp as well. Heavy rain, its a must.
Can we install rear fog lamps too?

AMG

Suspended
why do we need rear fog lamps?
The guy at the car in the back is supposed to have his own fog lamps.

Top Bottom