Speed Limit in Your City?

This is my point. By failing to put up the end speed limit signs, we cannot argue with the traffic cops, if they catch us at any point.

I was caught speeding in this highway for driving my brand new zen at 70kmph.
Yes, I agree that we can not argue with the cops. But what we can do is file a RTI application to the concerned department (Roads & RTO) asking for reason of such low speed limit on the 4 lane highway. Thus, if it is an error, it can be brought to notice of the authorities and if it is not an error we get to know the reason.

Sorry to hear that you got a speeding ticket @ 70 kmph!

In Bangalore, I touch 100 kmph on 2 stretches on my route to and from work. One is on intermediate ring road while coming back from Indra nagar to Egipura signal - between the U turn past Dell and Egipura signal. Usually I see interceptors on the opposite side.

The second one used to be from Garvapalya signal to Boomanahalli signal in the morning. (unfortunately they have placed speed barriers on that stretch now.)

average usually is around 40 kmph.

In Chennai, I have noticed that people tend to take it easy and drive slowly in a single line, and seldom honk (good practice)

BTW, I leave for work at 8 am and start back around 4 pm. So I avoid the rush hour traffic.

Ranger, you drive @ 100kph in IRR Bangalore [surprise]. Drive Safe buddy !!

Though I have used the Bangalore-Hosur-Chennai route a lot of times, I havent noticed an interceptor even once there. But the section after Vellore is very dangerous. Offlate, I see a lot of accidents in that.

After a couple of really bad encounters with some local villagers in highways in the recent months, I have decided to stick to 80kph, occassionally touching 100, only when I m confident of the stretch. My swifty gives her best mileage if maintained at 80-90kmph

Our highways having multiple exit points, "U" turns, the local villagers adjoining the highways always prefer to break the law and drive in the wrong side, very highly risking the life others. The worst irony is you cant even fight with them, since you would be at the receiving end of the ire.

Drive Safe Buddy !!

I was caught somewhere near Kanchipuram and the intercepter was manned by women police apart from the driver.

I visit Chennai frequently and usually average around 100 kmph. That particular time I was going slow as the car was brand new. My bad luck, I guess.

That stretch in IRR is very tempting [:D] especially when I leave office early. And I do drive safe. Thank you

The exact speed limit for Mumbai city is not known but on most of the roads it is 50kmph. Speed limit differ depending on off road drive and for highway roads. As many accidents are happening each day, the traffic department has initiated speed limit rules at different areas in the city, especially at the areas where accident is taking place quite often.

What I meant was that I usually go much much faster on that stretch and have never seen any interceptors. The time I go slow (70kmph), and I was caught for speeding. [frustration]

One of the practice i have seen my Bangalore police is to place a speed break/barricade where you least expect.
Once i was on my way to Chithradurga from Bangalore and I almost lost control of my vehicle due to a sudden speed break on the NH.
The next time was on my way to Mysore. I had to stop to a side for some time and regain myself from the incidents before moving further.
Now I never drive more than 80KM- 100KM how ever is the rd condition.
Good on you Trafic police.

For the past 1 month almost everyday,
either I m spotting a new speed hump or a new pothole -
believe it should be done hand-in-hand by BTRAC and BBMP together respectively, to keep the speed in the city low. [;)]
IMHO, speed breakers on four-laned National Highways are pretty much higher in KA than in any other southern states.

They have also put speed barricades at regular intervals along the 6 lane Hosur road from silkboard junction till electronic city, causing traffic jams and even accidents.

@ Highway Ranger Sad that you got ticketed on that beautiful stretch! I have driven in that route and maintain around 100-110kmph.

I was speed ticketed once at ECR , there was a speed limit board for 40kmph and i was doing 70kmph , had to pay!

Nowadays in Chennai due to the metro rail work work going on in most parts of the city you can hardly cross 50kmph inside the city. The traffic is so worst these days that i got only 9kmpl in my Verna for the previous 2 tankfulls![frustration]

The only highway where i have seen a 100kmph speed limit is the Chennai-Trichy highway.

@ cooldhaya,

The irony is that we got caught speeding when we were actually going much slower that our normal speed.[frustration]

I had been to Chennai last month for Christmas and had to go to Mogappair more than 3 times from our place in Secretariat colony, Kilpauk.

I found that in spite of the metro work turning most major roads in Anna Nagar into one way, it was easier to commute. But then, I know all the lanes and bylanes of Anna Nagar very well.

I haven't got an opportunity to travel in the Chennai-Trichy highway. Heard it is great. Since we always start from Bangalore for our south trips, we use the Salem route. Salem-Kanyakumari is also a great road to drive.

BTW, even bikes do 70kmph on ECR road. But it is quite dangerous.

Top Bottom