Speed Breakers or Car Breakers - Do They Make Any Real Sense?

I am sure that you guys have not even seen the real speed breakers of India, if you want to experience then please visit interior parts of Haryana and you will see real speed / car breakers. Even my SX4 was not able to cross the breakers without touching the base [cry]

Thread Starter #17
I am sure that you guys have not even seen the real speed breakers of India, if you want to experience then please visit interior parts of Haryana and you will see real speed / car breakers. Even my SX4 was not able to cross the breakers without touching the base [cry]
So the entire country or probably almost is stupid in this regard? Why is that and who to blame?

The Road Construction Contractors who don't do it as per standards? Or the Municipal Authorities who don't set or maintain it to the standards?

Even if the Former to be blamed the latter holds the whole responsibility I guess. All in all, our authorities neither have any respect to the standards nor to the poor public...

I have to negotiate some 30 Speed-breakers every single day on my commute to and fro. 60 on some days when I have to do the commute twice. It reduces the fuel efficiency to a great extent(I used to get 19-20Kmpl in my Alto and after they erected the speed breakers, Its 15kmpl.), Takes a toll on the brakes tyres and suspension. Its like 16 speed breakers for 15Kms of State Highway[frustration]

I wish the authorities used Observation/Speed cameras to get hold of the offenders instead of putting up speed-breakers all over the place.

Main problems are

• Size of the speed breakers, Like RK sir mentioned it is short and very heigh.
  • They should have atleast painted with proper color stripes which can be visible to riders/drivers. Most of the time you see a speed breaker when you are very close to it

When our sparky is fully loaded with 4 or five occupants, I will literally scared to cross any speed breakers since I know for sure it will touch my base of sparky and your heart will go Like "My Goooooooooooooooood"

BTW, since we are on the topic, assume no one [Either government or Contractor] will bother to rectify their mistake and we have to live with those, pls let us clear on the following

• what harm our car get because of this.
  • What parts are running under the car
  • if any parts getting possible hits how far it can sustain it?
  • do we need to check any parts frequently?

Thread Starter #21
When our sparky is fully loaded with 4 or five occupants, I will literally scared to cross any speed breakers since I know for sure it will touch my base of sparky and your heart will go Like "My Goooooooooooooooood"
Exactly... Earlier, when the car was new, I used to give this reaction and gradually settled with it as I understood the reality. Then my wife used to express her instant reaction with some condolences. Now she stopped or try to control as I expressed my irritation to that, but my son started it [clap]

BTW, since we are on the topic, assume no one [Either government or Contractor] will bother to rectify their mistake and we have to live with those, pls let us clear on the following

• what harm our car get because of this. - Chasis / Under Body Scratches; Mud Flap Scraping; In certain extreme situations, even Oil Sump and other parts of Engine can also get a hit.
  • What parts are running under the car Same as above.
  • if any parts getting possible hits how far it can sustain it? Under Body Scratches can lead to Rusting. So protections such as 3M are the solutions I guess. Mud Flaps will need replacement over a period or when they tear off. Figo was known for this when the initial lot came with Plastic Flaps. I too have once changed it to Rubber ones and it's doing the job better than the former. Any hit on engine parts will have it's own issues.
  • do we need to check any parts frequently? Yes. Whenever get a chance to lift it, do an inspection.
True sir. We should only bother and take care of ourselves. That's the sad state of of our states. My points inline above in Bold.

Thank god that we do not have speed breakers here in Shimla. [:D] but wait........ big big potholes and unmetalled roads are here to destroy the suspensions and other parts of our cars. [cry]
During my delhi trip when i visited Ghaziabad i encountered some big speed breakers which scratched my verna's bottom and i was helpless.
Some were like made specially to organise off road rally for SUV's. [anger]

Yes Himalayan, no speed breakers is a great thing for Shimla, but real big patholes oh God !! I still remember my last trip in Maruti van[lol]

bhvm

Honoured Member
OOOOOOOOOOooooooouuuuuuuucccccccccHHH!!

+1000 To that. These are Definately Car wreckers. I usually drive SUVs (Fortuner, Safari, XUV 500) But still have to bring all of these to 1st gear for these mountains. Perhaps thats the defination of what Off-roarding or Transversing Hilly terrains means in India! [frustration]

1) They're never marked and there are no Boards. Sometimes the Boards are just at speed breakers with no pre-warining boards. Which means heavy Braking from Cruising speeds

2)As if the potholes were not enough!

3) Speedbreakers at the Toll EXITS! Come on!!??

4)These days speed breakers have invaded most of 4-lanes and Speedways. What is the sense of this? Brings average speeds from 80 to 60. There were none of these 3 years ago!

5)The only action that cops have after registering some road accident or Kid run over is to erect More and larger speed breakers.

6)Have heard many cases of being Rear-ended because The Trucks or Bikes cant brake hard enough as Cars. One of my cousins on a bike had a broken Nose as he went and slammed a 4 Wheeler from behind who slowed or almost stopped for a breaker.
I have to watch my rear mirror when braking here. If a truck is close enough, I have to just run off them! Argh!!

7) Have heard atleast 2 cases of Motorcyclists dying due to super large Breakers as they were thrown off completely.[surprise]

Speed breaker causes three cars to collide-The Observer

Speed breaker causes three cars to collide
By Sagarika Ranjan
Ya i have noticed this alot,i travel on that road & i use hazard lamps in advance to warn motorists behind me of any barricades or speed breakers.
I maintain a pretty decent pace so when i have usually over taken some taxis, their ego gets the better of them & they brake really late at the speed breakers to try over take cars like mine who brake gradually.
So in such cases i feel they are putting unaware cars behind them at risk.
Notice next time all the yellow board vehicles brake late at speed breakers to overtake, even if your faster they will cut in front & annoy you [frustration]
Scenarios in cities -
In cities after taking a sharp corner you get caught out by a speed breaker which you cannot see.Its happening too frequently to me.
And in heavy traffic car in front gets beaten by the height of the speed breaker & rolls backwards.

Last edited:
In Bangalore good road are not important but speed breaker are most important. If a road will be newly laid, then after 2 days there will n number of speed breaker that to which can break your body part, forget about the car body part.

But for some those speed breaker are nothing, they will pass through it as plain normal road.

In Bangalore You will find speed breaker after fly over because that place is public made bus stop.
In Bangalore it's funny they have speed breakers. Bangaloreans already are at the mercy of the potholed roads. They very much qualify for breaking the speed. [frustration]

There is this incident which happened to me and my family. While returning back to Bangalore from Nagpur, we were on the NH7 during the night, possibly around 12 am.
I was maintaining a speed of 100 - 110 Kmph when all of a sudden I see this Huge 1 and a half feet CAR BREAKER!!! With no white marking or zebra markings, just a huge pile of black tar. Jammed my foot hard on the brake pedal, the car screeched but it was a tad bit late, and we hit! Me, my wife and my 4 year old daughter flew 2 feet in the air and time stood still for a second then we came crashing down back on our seats. Of course we bumped our heads on the car roof.
My car's front bumper took the first hit, then I heard a thud, not too sure what it was.

Thankfully we were all safe. Just a few scrapes on the front bumper. Got the car checked the next morning and found nothing unusual about it, but my best guess was, it perhaps had hit part of the car's steering.

Now the question I would like to ask, "What on earth is a Mount Everest doing on NH7?" It's completely unethical to place a Car Breaker right in the middle of a highway/Express way. Authorities need to get their head examined before placing a mountain on NH7.

Thread Starter #29
Now the question I would like to ask, "What on earth is a Mount Everest doing on NH7?" It's completely unethical to place a Car Breaker right in the middle of a highway/Express way. Authorities need to get their head examined before placing a mountain on NH7.
Understand your pain... It's lunatic to have such Mountains on a highway...

Have you ever traveled in Bangalore - Mysore Highway (So called)? Newton's 4th Law which is applicable to Bangalore works flawlessly in that so called Highway too. "The moment you switch on to 5th Gear, you will inversely switch down to 1st Gear".

Understand your pain... It's lunatic to have such Mountains on a highway...

Have you ever traveled in Bangalore - Mysore Highway (So called)? Newton's 4th Law which is applicable to Bangalore works flawlessly in that so called Highway too. "The moment you switch on to 5th Gear, you will inversely switch down to 1st Gear".
Bangalore - Mysore STREET. Please don't term it as a Highway.
Yes, been there and hate it.
Speed breakers at almost every half/One KM. Stupid authorities.

Top Bottom