Speakers and Subwoofer for Chevy Beat

^^ From the earlier posts I understand he is looking for 2 speakers each for front and rear, and he don't want any subwoofers!.

A 4 channel amp to power both front and rear speakers, component speakers for front and 6x9 speakers in the parcel tray would be ideal for you. For specific suggestions on models etc please tell us about the budget you have in mind.

Hi

I am having Chevrolet Beat Petrol version. My car doesn't have HU & Speaker. So thinking to install HU & Speaker.

a). I am thinking to install either of Alpine CDE 151 E/ Pioneer Deh X1790ub/ Sony DSX-A55BT/ Kenwood KDC-U263b as Head-unit.

b). thinking to install Alpine SPJ-161C2 2 Way speaker - 2nos. (250W) in front decks & JBL GTO 950 SI (2 nos.).

Please suggest me that which one of HU is better. Then which speaker will be good.

Appx Range: 14000 max.

Hope all of you here will recommend me the good one to instill a new life to my Chevy Beat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
I am having Chevrolet Beat Petrol version. My car doesn't have HU & Speaker. So thinking to install HU & Speaker.
a). I am thinking to install either of Alpine CDE 151 E/ Pioneer Deh X1790ub/ Sony DSX-A55BT/ Kenwood KDC-U263b as Head-unit.
b). thinking to install Alpine SPJ-161C2 2 Way speaker - 2nos. (250W) in front decks & JBL GTO 950 SI (2 nos.).

Please suggest me that which one of HU is better. Then which speaker will be good.
Appx Range: 14000 max.
Hope all of you here will recommend me d good one to instill a new life to my Chevy Beat.
I see most of the items you have shortlisted are listed/sourced from online portals. You should check out local markets also and get a hint of prices prevailing there.

In a 14k budget, you have to accomodate wiring, labour, MDF tray, rear 6x9 speakers, front 4" speakers, 1DIN HU and labour cost. [:p]

Set aside 2.5k for wiring, MDF tray, labour and misc. small stuff. This leaves you with 11.5k for all above equipment. Rear 6x9 coaxials would cost you around 3-3.5k for a basic JBL GTO or Pioneer set. Front speakers would cost ~2k for coaxials and if you are able to find components (Kicker ES4, etc.) in this size, you will have to keep aside another 1k.

Leaves you with a decent 5k budget for HU. What are the basic features you want out of it? Aux, USB and CD will be standard at this price but you can get Bluetooth compatibility if you can spend ~2k more. All units are decent, with Pioneer, Kenwood and JVC ruling the market due to their affordability and decent features. Blaupunkt is another good choice.

What are your listening preferences/tastes? More clarity or more bass?

Hi ice_wise
At the outset, let me hv an opportunity to thank you for squeezing some time out to post a reply. Coming to the thread, I have checked with local vendors & they have suggested me following:

1). HU - Pioneer 1890 (3850/-) Mostly have suggested for this but I am inclined towards Alpine Cd 151 e (as people have given good reviews about this, not in India but abroad due to paucity of its Service centres here)

2). Infinity Kappa 693.11i Rear speakers - 6500/-

3). Sony Xs FB 102E (210W) for dashboard - 1200/-

Please suggest on the above specs. Further, I don't want boom-boom but sound with clarity will be apt.

Nk

For my Beat D, i have gone for Blaupunkt GTB 8200 A GT-Series Powered subwoofer for 5K. It consumes almost 15-20% of my boot space.

You can also check -- Blaupunkt XLF 200 A Black Magic Series Powered Subwoofer. This comes at around 10K.

Last edited:
Hi ice_wise
At the outset, let me hv an opportunity to thank you for squeezing some time out to post a reply. Coming to the thread, I have checked with local vendors & they have suggested me following:

1). HU - Pioneer 1890 (3850/-) Mostly have suggested for this but I am inclined towards Alpine Cd 151 e (as people have given good reviews about this, not in India but abroad due to paucity of its Service centres here)

2). Infinity Kappa 693.11i Rear speakers - 6500/-

3). Sony Xs FB 102E (210W) for dashboard - 1200/-

Please suggest on the above specs. Further, I don't want boom-boom but sound with clarity will be apt.

Nk
I had posted my reply on 2nd March but I guess there was some connection problem. Sorry for that.

1. I think you are referring to the Pioneer 1890UB. The earlier 1790UB and 1690UB were a huge hit in the market, so you can safely go for 1890UB. If you can find 1790 or 1690 for a much lesser price, it would be good to choose from them (as their demand has come down) and bargain hard if it matches your feature requirements.

Price quoted is good for the 1890UB. I would not advice Alpine at this stage as quality and of Alpine is not tested in India. Service and music quality is unknown. The reviews you hear will mostly come from outside India and if within India, the product would be costing twice or thrice than normal (and thus superior quality). At your price point, it is better to go for common brands which meet your requirements.

2. and 3. You are going for too basic speakers at the front and decent speakers at the back. The result would be a rear-biased soundstage in the car, which won't be pleasant to listen to, more so since you are focussing on quality. If possible, look for 4" components or better 4" coaxials. For a small car like Beat, I think JBL GTOs will do the job. You can audition the available brands and decide on the spot. Usually, Sony products are overpriced and not worth considering unless you get a good deal. Other brands provide better performing products at the same price. Spend something in the ratio 30:70 for the front:rear speakers.

@whitehorse : He isn't considering amplifier or subwoofer buddy. BTW how is your experience with the 8200A?

@ice_wise,
My observation with woofer for Beat is that, if you opt for a very good ovals for rear, then you can actually ignore the need for woofers due to the boot size. If you have the extra bass option to pump from HU, then the effect is almost equivalent to having a subwoofer. Size of the boot and its enclosure itself assists in generating that 'booom' effect.

8200A product is good and i am satisfied with output as i don't spend too much time with 'loud' music. It has got only 3 knobs to play with and rest of the adjustment from HU. Cannot be compared to greater than 10" woofers as you might slightly miss the tight deep controlled bass and desire to explore variations in sound staging setup.

Last edited:
Hi @whitehorse & ice_wise,
Thanks for your vetting. Let me say that if I will choose Blaupunkt GTX 402 DE for front dash-board and Infinity Kappa 693.11 i, it will be ok or rear biased as I am gen behind the steering wheels. Further JBL Gto series are not available dear.
Pls reply ASAP or message me your no if possible at my Mail-ID
Nk

Hi @whitehorse & ice_wise,
Thanks for your vetting. Let me say that if I will choose Blaupunkt GTX 402 DE for front dash-board and Infinity Kappa 693.11 i, it will be ok or rear biased as I am gen behind the steering wheels. Further JBL Gto series are not available dear.
Pls reply ASAP or message me ur no if possible at my Mail-ID
Nk
Blaupunkt ones will certainly be better than Sony. Also check out JBL CS series and Kicker (ES40 I think) for front. Pioneer would be on the louder side, lower on quality. JBL should give a nice balance. Audition what all is available and then decide.

For rear, I didn't say that Infinity is bad. They will be too much as compared to the puny front speakers. You will find out after installation that any 4" speaker stands nowhere in front of a 6x9 coaxial. Nothing major to worry about, you can always select biasness of soundstage with FADER on the HU.

Hi ice_wise
I have got installed d Muzic system in my Beat. Specs r following:
1). Sony HU - Xplod CDX G 1150U
2). JBL 4' Front Speakers - CS 742 Model
3). Rockford Fosgate R1693 Prime 6*9 inch Model
Though sound quality is awesome but tray has not got fitted properly as it is coming out As soon as dicky is opened. Also, Wires of rear speakers are so short that they r begging for life. Further, Radio/ FM reception is very poor.
So, Dear readers n mentors, pls suggest alternatives to get rid of the above stated 3 problems.
NK

Hi ice_wise
I have got installed d Muzic system in my Beat. Specs r following:
1). Sony HU - Xplod CDX G 1150U
2). JBL 4' Front Speakers - CS 742 Model
3). Rockford Fosgate R1693 Prime 6*9 inch Model
Though sound quality is awesome but tray has not got fitted properly as it is coming out As soon as dicky is opened. Also, Wires of rear speakers are so short that they r begging for life. Further, Radio/ FM reception is very poor.
So, Dear readers n mentors, pls suggest alternatives to get rid of the above stated 3 problems.
NK
For the tray fitting, you will need to check with the installer. I hope you are not expecting to move the tray for luggage loading purpose. MDF trays are better kept permanently fixed. Also check if your tray is specific for Beat and is fitted/drilled on the provisions provided for stock parcel tray.

For wires, ask the installer if he has left some length loose at any place. You can simply pull and use the coiled/folded cable in that case. If not, you can ask for a length of the exact same cable that is fitted and join it with the existing wires. Use a heat shrink tube on the exposed part of the wire (at the place it is joined). The black tape used at most places comes off with heat after some time.

For radio reception, make sure that your installer has connected the antenna wiring properly to the HU. If the wiring for antenna was pre-laid by the factory, then there is a problem with the connection behind the HU. Else ask your installer to check the antenna wiring completely. He may insist on changing the antenna also (which is not needed) to make more bucks, but first ask him to check and properly connect the wiring and proceed with antenna change only if it is needed.

Nice to know that you are satisfied with the sound. [:)]

Hi ice_wise , Thanks for your +ve vetting.
About tray, if I will get it fixed then how will I adjust my luggage. Another point that Can I install speakers in the Factory installed tray that has came wid car (OEM).
About FM Reception, when I was in Kashmere Gate it was coming proper but when I reached nearby my home in Snp, it was ********. Should installing of antenna will help it.
Thanks.......
Nk

Hi ice_wise , Thanks for your +ve vetting.
About tray, if I will get it fixed then how will I adjust my luggage. Another point that Can I install speakers in the Factory installed tray that has came wid car (OEM).
About FM Reception, when I was in Kashmere Gate it was coming proper but when I reached nearby my home in Snp, it was ********. Should installing of antenna will help it.
Thanks.......
Nk
6x9 coaxials are heavy speakers. If you use your OEM parcel tray, the speakers will bend the parcel in some time (say 1 year) from the middle. On the other hand, MDF tray is stronger and can hold speakers better (without any bending/breaking) over long term. If you do not get it fixed, it may rattle or make squeaking noises. But since Beat has a narrow boot opening, you may face problem with a fixed tray. Better leave it as it is and ask your installer to a solution of the tray-falling-off problem. If possible, post a pic of the clamp used or the entire tray.

Top Bottom