Spark Plug Gaping - Honda City

Thread Starter #16
First of all the ignition coils have a limited voltage which is easily capable of creating a spark even when the distance between the two electrodes(ground & center) is around 15mm max.But the gap which is set by the company & the service-centers/garage is somewhere between 0.6 to 0.8mm.So increasing or reducing the gap by 0.2mm or so does not lead to a situation of spark not falling at all and weak spark respectively as it is pretty negligible.It does not even adversely effect the engine............................
As i have collected the informations from some websites,but don't know if they are wrong or not.But as u told that Increasing 0.2mm leads to better performance and u also have told 0.2mm seems to be a negligible gaping.Now i am totally confused friend.

Do we have any professional car racer or a qualified mechanic in this Forum?I personally think they know about the sparkplug gaping more than we do.

As i have collected the informations from some websites,but don't know if they are wrong or not.But as u told that Increasing 0.2mm leads to better performance and u also have told 0.2mm seems to be a negligible gaping.Now i am totally confused friend.

Do we have any professional car racer or a qualified mechanic in this Forum?I personally think they know about the sparkplug gaping more than we do.
Yes i agree with what i have said that increasing the gap by 0.2mm increases the efficiency and at the same time 0.2 mm is very negligible gap.

But the thing why i was referring to 0.2mm as negligible is for what all problem you said could be faced like spark not falling or weak spark.

i would again like to clear that + - 0.2 mm in stock plug is very negligible for the things you said could be faced like spark not falling & weak spark.It just affects the performance of the car but not to the extend of spark not falling of weak spark.[:)]

What ever be the measurement , one cannot be exact, even by the A S S.

So check the color of the spark plug's electrode. It must not be black or whitish.
The color must be like in gold - copper like color.

Slight black carbon deposit may be negligible.

DO change your spark plug regularly after 15 to 20K km intervals.

Last edited:
ilango[speed thirst];2766 said:
What ever be the measurement , one cannot be exact, even by the A S S.

So check the color of the spark plug's electrode. It must not be black or whitish.
The color must be like in gold - copper like color.

Slight black carbon deposit may be negligible.

DO change your spark plug regularly after 15 to 20K km intervals.
The Spark Plug's electrode color has nothing to do with the spark plug's gap.
It is related to the air fuel mixture which helps us determine if the engine is running richer or leaner.This method of reading the spark plug was very helpful to get the right air fuel mixture when vehicles had carburetors,now a days the ECU looks after it.[:)]

We measure the gap just to run smoother.

The color code method will help.

Even though ecu takes care of charge composition, this method helps in finding fault.

We need our engines to run smoother and correct right?
This is one of the method.

ilango[speed thirst];2811 said:
We measure the gap just to run smoother.

The color code method will help.

Even though ecu takes care of charge composition, this method helps in finding fault.

We need our engines to run smoother and correct right?
This is one of the method.
We measure the gap just to run smooth means ? Sorry i dint get this one.

I still say the spark plug's electrode's color has nothing to do with the plug's gap.

Last edited:

Top Bottom