Sound from Left on Maruti Wagon-R

Thread Starter #1
hi all i am a newbie here. i bought a WR vxi last month will post pics and ownership report later. right now i am facing some issues pl help.

1. from the day the vehicle bought a sound coming form the front side
now i am not a fast driver i stick to 50km even going for long distances (in bike its 40 even upto 250 km that's my max on one day). in my old 800 5 speed too i stick to 50
a. i do not strain the engine
b. do not under/over rev
c. as soon as 40 km passes i shift to 5
d. i change gear anticipatory
e. never start off in 2nd gear (as all MASS people do)

i don't know if this is the right style. but i was getting 28 kmpl on my 800.

in the WR too i followed the suit even if it is free-revving i never went above 3k rpm.

now comes the problem
a. on a straight stretch going on 50 a slight beating noise like a loose belt is observed.
when making a right turn the frequency of the sound increases and seems to come form right side

my old 800 too showed the sound sometimes (not on bends) so they will tighten the belt and everything ok.
the SA said that all the belts are ok the sound seems to come from the crank-shaft. so let it go on and if something happens we will get it done in warranty. i fumed and throwed a tantrum in the showroom and MASS so now they are taking me for another road test tomorrow for more clarification.

b. a slight humming sound coming from steering wheel when turning fast is this normal. can be heard only when you listen to it. something like an electric motor. mostly when almost stationery and you turn fast to get in to garage.

please not that the sound from engine compartment is heard when you listen carefully and can be observed or felt by the driver i don't know why that is but it a feeling when something is wrong with the car.

c. the head lights dim when AC is on. one TrueValue Exec said that it is not normal MASS saying that is is normal. but even in my old 800 i never observed this till i used 100/90 w bulb.

i exchanged the 800 simply because of the low height, my father is 70and has difficulty getting in and out and getting harder on me too. that's why i choose WR "tallest tall boy" despite the low boot space.

kindly go through and advice

Re: Sound from front left Wagon R

Consult at 2 -3 different service station and also at local mechanic.
the head lights dim when AC is on.
Strange, this should not happen,but have you changed your bulb ?

Welcome abroad Kannan. Please have your car checked with a local mechanic but do not let them perform any rectification activity. Just take his feedback and discuss with service centre. New car should not be having this problem unless it is a manufacturing defect. But nothing can be concluded unless you get it checked.

Thread Starter #4

Consult at 2 -3 different service station and also at local mechanic.

Strange, this should not happen,but have you changed your bulb ?
no they are stock bulb and the car is only 1 month old the problem is from 1 day onwards

Welcome abroad Kannan. Please have your car checked with a local mechanic but do not let them perform any rectification activity. Just take his feedback and discuss with service centre. New car should not be having this problem unless it is a manufacturing defect. But nothing can be concluded unless you get it checked.
there are no good mechanic here anyway i will try to contact a friend from another dealership. but if that is a manufacturing defect what can i do?

one more doubt. there is little rust in the part where the exhaust starts from the engine compartment will post pic tomorrow. is this normal? SA says that this is perfectly normal i couldn't examine another vehicle as one was not handy.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

After a few hot-talks with CCM i got a senior SA and took him with me and drover for 30 Km and he said that the problem is the wheel bearing.

the other SA and another workshop said that the problem is the AXLE.

so i decided to gave it a try and in the evening today i went to the MASS and took a TD i think the problem is gone but have to confirm it tomorrow.

as for light dimming when AC is on they say that it is normal.

Headlights do dim when the car is at idle like at a traffic signal,that usually happens when the ac compressor has cut out & kicks back cos the compressor puts load on the lean running engine,but if you think otherwise you can ask them to show you on another Wagon R

Thread Starter #7

Thank you all!!!
I think the problem was wheel bearing. as for light dimming. they said that it is because of my driving habit (slow driving) not pushing throttle more. i try to stick to 50 whenever possible. so the rpm will be ~ 1.5 to 2 K.

I think the problem was wheel bearing.
Good to hear that your problem is solved. It is replaced under warranty right ?

Thread Starter #9

Good to hear that your problem is solved. It is replaced under warranty right ?
yes it they replaced it under warranty... but i was really furious and demanded why this issue was not identified when they carried out PDI.

Top Bottom