Sound Damping: Queries and Discussions

Hello Friends,

I have installed CTK Sound Damping Sheets on my friend's Suzuki Baleno car and thought to share my quick review and snapshots here. So we were looking for sound damping sheets to reduce road noise and improve sound effects of aftermarket speakers (Infinity Reference & Coaxial Series). Found three different reputed brands, i-copper, Hamman and CTK. Ruled out Hamman because its made of Tar instead of Butyl to resist high temperatures but Butyl is most preferred material used for sound damping and the brand has no reviews on Amazon. In i-copper there are two models, 2mm which is made of Butyl + Aluminum and 7mm that includes foam also. There are several positive reviews on Amazon and seems like a good product but it is a china make and durability/longevity is unknown. As of CTK, it is a Ukraine brand who makes sound damping, insulation and other types of sheets for automotive and industrial uses. Motor Concept Delhi sell these CTK brand sound damping sheets which costs 7k for 8 sheets (Standard Model, Size 500x700mm, Thickness 1.8mm) including shipping. We went ahead and ordered the same. Quality is excellent and temperature resistance upto +130c. All 8 sheets weight upto 10KG so approx 1.25 KG each.

Yesterday we have damped the doors and it took whole day for all four doors installation. First removed the door panels and discarded factory plastic sheet. Cleaned the inner and outer panels using APC and IPA. Measured the application area using ruler, cut the damping sheets using utility knife and applied it. My friend made a roller tool in his factory and it helped very much but in the inner most, I had to hand press only. On the outer panel, I have covered large and small holes using damping sheets. Kindly note: Ambient temperature should be 30c max when applying and hot air gun shouldn't be used. Nearly 6 and half sheets were used for applying on all four doors so approx 2 KG on each door. Remaining sheets can be used for rear door and rear quarter panel.

Now after the installation, doors feel and sound very much different. The heaviness and thud noise when tapped on outer panels, like those Skoda cars. Window glass sides smooth and noiseless. Speakers effect has improved especially the bass. However, I didn't drive the car to check road noise and yet to hear the same from my friend. With this good experience, I also to want to damp my Honda City 09' car doors and will probably get it done by this year end.

Here are snapshots:
View attachment 263255 View attachment 263256 View attachment 263257 View attachment 263258 View attachment 263259 View attachment 263260 View attachment 263261

Thanks...
Best Regards
Hi Cracing, from where you ordered CTK damping sheets. Can you provide the link please?

Hello Friends,

I have installed CTK Sound Damping Sheets on my friend's Suzuki Baleno car and thought to share my quick review and snapshots here. So we were looking for sound damping sheets to reduce road noise and improve sound effects of aftermarket speakers (Infinity Reference & Coaxial Series). Found three different reputed brands, i-copper, Hamman and CTK. Ruled out Hamman because its made of Tar instead of Butyl to resist high temperatures but Butyl is most preferred material used for sound damping and the brand has no reviews on Amazon. In i-copper there are two models, 2mm which is made of Butyl + Aluminum and 7mm that includes foam also. There are several positive reviews on Amazon and seems like a good product but it is a china make and durability/longevity is unknown. As of CTK, it is a Ukraine brand who makes sound damping, insulation and other types of sheets for automotive and industrial uses. Motor Concept Delhi sell these CTK brand sound damping sheets which costs 7k for 8 sheets (Standard Model, Size 500x700mm, Thickness 1.8mm) including shipping. We went ahead and ordered the same. Quality is excellent and temperature resistance upto +130c. All 8 sheets weight upto 10KG so approx 1.25 KG each.

Yesterday we have damped the doors and it took whole day for all four doors installation. First removed the door panels and discarded factory plastic sheet. Cleaned the inner and outer panels using APC and IPA. Measured the application area using ruler, cut the damping sheets using utility knife and applied it. My friend made a roller tool in his factory and it helped very much but in the inner most, I had to hand press only. On the outer panel, I have covered large and small holes using damping sheets. Kindly note: Ambient temperature should be 30c max when applying and hot air gun shouldn't be used. Nearly 6 and half sheets were used for applying on all four doors so approx 2 KG on each door. Remaining sheets can be used for rear door and rear quarter panel.

Now after the installation, doors feel and sound very much different. The heaviness and thud noise when tapped on outer panels, like those Skoda cars. Window glass sides smooth and noiseless. Speakers effect has improved especially the bass. However, I didn't drive the car to check road noise and yet to hear the same from my friend. With this good experience, I also to want to damp my Honda City 09' car doors and will probably get it done by this year end.

Here are snapshots:
View attachment 263255 View attachment 263256 View attachment 263257 View attachment 263258 View attachment 263259 View attachment 263260 View attachment 263261

Thanks...
Best Regards
Amazing job @CRACING
I was just researching about Damping and came across the video on YouTube by Musafir done by Motor Concept.
Great to find it done on a Baleno.
Would like to know the road noise performance..
Keep us updated

Amazing job @CRACING
I was just researching about Damping and came across the video on YouTube by Musafir done by Motor Concept.
Great to find it done on a Baleno.
Would like to know the road noise performance..
Keep us updated
Actually it is my friend's car and I have only checked the noise level once which is after installation. Later his dad met with an accident and hospitalized for many days. Fortunately his dad has recovered fully now.

So I couldn't check the performance of the sound damping mats again but I just heard from him that the damping mats made huge improvements and he wanted to put the same under the roof. I thought to install same on my car but kept on postponing.

Anyway, if I happen to drive my friend's car again then I will surely update here.

Top Bottom