Someone Scratched My Car with Keys. Need Advice.

38K seems to be huge but thats what ASS centers will quote. For Fiesta they quoted whooping 45K for full repaint!!! Try somewhere outside buddy. you will save some.

Ford is known for costly ASS.It seems the name ford is derived from word afford, they have removed af, hence ford.
If insurance is claimed, and if no cash lost for chayan(due to compensation paid by culprit) , then HASS repaint would be ok, afterall hondas are known as one of the best ASS provider s.

Thread Starter #48
I also enquired at Ford ASS (I know them separately) and they quoted me Rs.5000/- per door. At Honda its Rs.4K (+Tax), so HASS is a little cheaper.

Leaning towards HASS as don't want other problems to crop up due to the paint job. For e.g what I understand is that the whole tail gate assembly has to be dis-assembled, painted and assembled again. Don't want the back wipers to stop working just because the external workshop did not know how to do it correctly.

BTY the cost of total painting for Jazz is Rs.60K (+Tax) at HASS.

Last edited:
I would say stick to HASS. I had my bonnet re-painted 1 year back. All i see now is solid bubbles!!! In spite of spending much, one cannot expect quality stuff from the service centers in ford or may be chennai is like that!!!

OT when there is a topic about painting and quality, I was discussing generally with a friend who had worked with Hyundai as well as VW. I came to know that in Hyundai, the body will be dipped into paint in a slanting conveyor which goes into paint. In VW the body goes into paint and it will rotate inside the paint hub so that the paint is covered all places.

Chayan

Painting is a very important task on any car and lot of procedures are being followed by manufacturers and it is not like a mechanical part replacement.

At times I found that the dealers do not employ professionals for the job and I have seen lot of times mismatch in colors after some time of painting from part to part. There are few professionals who are not dealers, but they really spend their time to paint right from surface preparation and matching the colors. There is one guy who only remove the dents and do painting and really a expert in Hyderabad. He has shown me the difference between his work and a dealers works somany times. So money is not that matter as it is the outlook of the car, so select some professional to handle your car than going to dealers.

Chayan

Painting is a very important task on any car and lot of procedures are being followed by manufacturers and it is not like a mechanical part replacement.

At times I found that the dealers do not employ professionals for the job and I have seen lot of times mismatch in colors after some time of painting from part to part. There are few professionals who are not dealers, but they really spend their time to paint right from surface preparation and matching the colors. There is one guy who only remove the dents and do painting and really a expert in Hyderabad. He has shown me the difference between his work and a dealers works somany times. So money is not that matter as it is the outlook of the car, so select some professional to handle your car than going to dealers.
Gurrala sir what you say is 1000 times right. But the hardest part is finding such person. If we do not about the mech much if anything goes wrong we cant do anything. If same thing happen with Dealer's place atleast we can fight. Even when my sparky's left fender got into problem in march [during my tuticorin trip] I enquired about the same outside also. But asked the amount what was quaoted by dealer. And I was not sure about the work. So finally I landed at dealer's place and just paid Rs.7XX [After insurance claim] and completed the job with full satisfaction.

Thread Starter #53
Chayan

@Gurrala74: What you say is absolutely true. But I do not know any such person(s). I do see a lot of garages on the way to office, painting other cars but see them doing so on open roads without heat chambers etc. However I admit that there would be professional out there as well.
Another aspect is that at least HASS would know how to open the locks, clamps etc. holding the pieces together. Anyone else might apply pressure at the wrong places and cause a broken clip. Even if something breaks HASS should be able to replace that easily. Due to these reasons I would stick with HASS until I know of a better place to trust.

Had this been a Maruti or a TATA vehicle, I admit my behaviour would have been quite different. My father had a 1986 Omni which we maintained impeccably till May 2012 (26 years). And apart from the first service, we never visited MASS. Had a trusty old mechanic near home who used to cater to its needs whenever need arose. And it served us well.

@Sethu and Chayan

I agree with you, finding a right person is really difficult. I found this guy in Hyderabad during a small Auto exhibition he put of his stall there, then there was a discussion about the paint as I wanted a suitable paint for my product which is manufactured in our factory. So I visited him and shocked to see his detailing work, he uses European world best brand paint either it is M800 or a Benz. His facility is really good with all required things like curing oven, proper people and instruments. He personally looks into every cars work and monitor it. He also undertake the restoration jobs of old cars with some really new fitments and painting. So finding such person is difficult everywhere, you know it is a pvt.ltd company I think.
It is not that every dealer will spoil the things, I just said there are dealers also how spoil the work. So for this I find two solutions

1. See and search if you can get such professional in your city and enquire about his, if found visit his place and see his work.
2. Go with dealer, but insist to visit the paint shop and see what procedures they are following and try and talk to some painting guys there and just convey that you are very serious about paint job and its quality and matching work !!

Thread Starter #55
@Gurrala74: You are very fortunate to know this person. After all the number of connections that a person has in a way defines how successful the person is.

@Gurrala74: You are very fortunate to know this person. After all the number of connections that a person has in a way defines how successful the person is.
Chayan, it may bit OT here, but hope that mods will consider this, but you know something, we keep crossing lot of people and opportunities just beside us. For example : we search for a good mechanic for our a bike and we do not find one proper fellow, but sometimes it looks very funny that we are just crossing a side street everyday commuting and there is fellow who does wonderful job, but we fail to notice him.

So it is our approach and attitude to look at such people, being in business development for long time, I keep looking at everything everywhere in the world and take a note of such things where some time somewhere they become useful for us. So this can be followed by everybody and the biggest live example is TAI, I had visited TAI much before for something and went away and the day I become member and started interacting with new people and it just become a wonderful platform to know so many so many things everyday which is very difficult to find out in the open market !![:)]

Now with this attitude keep looking at the things around you where you stay, just browse through your friends and enquire, you will definitely find a good paint shop very soon, if not just go to the dealer and check there

Just bear one thing in mind. With modern metallic finishes the top layer is not fully opaque, so the primer layer does show through as a cast. Also, layer(s) of lacquer also need to be sprayed on.

Thread Starter #58
I have already put the car up with HASS. Given its holiday season, estimate is 10 days. Would also be serviced as the routine service was due November.
Will update as soon as I get her back.

Thread Starter #59
Got back my car yesterday. It took exactly 2 weeks (27-Oct to 10 Nov). Had the servicing done too at one go.

Quality work is medium and according to my standards - is not up to the mark. For e.g at one door edge, the paint overlap is evident. At a different place, the existing scratch is evident if you view it at some angle. Pointed them to the SA. By that time I had already made the payment and in reality was not in a mood to argue. Two weeks without a car was having its toll.
Checked the other details, put the car on ramp checked the underbelly (had taken a torch for that purpose). They had put fresh 3M coating at places where it had been rubbed off. Noticed that Jazz has a fibre petrol tank. SA informed me that the tank will not rupture even if it get hit with a stone upto 50km/hr (not sure if this is correct, but probably given Honda's safety conciousness - may be right).
Given that Jazz GC is low (165cm), and there have been a few times where it has kissed the underbody in the past, was relieved to see that no damage was present.

On the overall the car looks good now. Some minor color difference between the fresh and old paint. Hopefully will remedy to some extent when I have it polished next week (Waxoyl first follow-up). Will try to post pictures once its done.

PS: If you have a silver coloured dashboard, do not keep ambipure in the vicinity. If the liquid spills on to the painted area, it will discolor it and no amount of rubbing will take it out. Some fool had put the ambipure I had in the car in the middle AC vent (on top of the stereo) and probably due to the heat chamber temperature, some liquid had spilled on to the area below. Result: I tried getting it off very carefully (Coleen, wax etc.), but at some spots colour has faded. Seems like will have to put the wooden dashboard trim to cover these up. So just be cautious when using ambipure.

Got back my car yesterday. It took exactly 2 weeks (27-Oct to 10 Nov). Had the servicing done too at one go.

Quality work is medium and according to my standards - is not up to the mark. For e.g at one door edge, the paint overlap is evident. At a different place, the existing scratch is evident if you view it at some angle. Pointed them to the SA. By that time I had already made the payment and in reality was not in a mood to argue. Two weeks without a car was having its toll.
Checked the other details, put the car on ramp checked the underbelly (had taken a torch for that purpose). They had put fresh 3M coating at places where it had been rubbed off. Noticed that Jazz has a fibre petrol tank. SA informed me that the tank will not rupture even if it get hit with a stone upto 50km/hr (not sure if this is correct, but probably given Honda's safety conciousness - may be right).
Given that Jazz GC is low (165cm), and there have been a few times where it has kissed the underbody in the past, was relieved to see that no damage was present.

On the overall the car looks good now. Some minor color difference between the fresh and old paint. Hopefully will remedy to some extent when I have it polished next week (Waxoyl first follow-up). Will try to post pictures once its done.

PS: If you have a silver coloured dashboard, do not keep ambipure in the vicinity. If the liquid spills on to the painted area, it will discolor it and no amount of rubbing will take it out. Some fool had put the ambipure I had in the car in the middle AC vent (on top of the stereo) and probably due to the heat chamber temperature, some liquid had spilled on to the area below. Result: I tried getting it off very carefully (Coleen, wax etc.), but at some spots colour has faded. Seems like will have to put the wooden dashboard trim to cover these up. So just be cautious when using ambipure.
Chayan, its glad to know that you got your JAZZ back after long waiting time. Do not worry, Hope polishing regularly might take of the color difference [But I am wondering, when I had problem with both Fenders on different occasions, there was no difference in color]

Regarding Ambipure, Yes be careful. For me my stereo got completely spoiled when my son try to fix it accidently upside down and all liquid spill on my HU. And that is it. all button got Zamed and I had to throw the HU

Top Bottom