Someone Scratched My Car with Keys. Need Advice.

I know its a minor issue for the Police. But getting a FIR would be required for firstly if I claim insurance and secondly to put pressure on the culprit to pay.

The police has nothing to do as the culprit has already been identified.
It is not necessary to have FIR for claim. Mine 2 accidents got claim passed without require of FIR. So don't go to police station else they will again charge you some Rs.500 -1000

Thread Starter #17
Some progress.. the culprit has been identified. The company security personnels did a commendable job and identified the person by talking with other drivers/guards and probably CC-TV footage (though I am not sure of the last one). They also have a written confession from the driver that he knowingly scratched my car and he is sorry and will not do so in the future.

My wife talked with his boss on phone and the gentleman has verbally assured that he would talk with his driver and inspect the damage on Monday and pay for the expenses.

Lets wait till Monday and see if that really happens. But a move to the positive direction none the less.

Chayan

It is really sad to see those scratches, same thing happened to my car when it was new and I just felt like scratches on my heart[cry] Those were by my office lady, while cleaning my car with a good cloth but there was some hidden stone particle or metal particle was there and while cleaning with it, it scratched all around, but this was done unknowingly so what to do I cannot scold her. I did teflon coating two times and most of them are not visible from a distance, but they are visible from very close. So re-painting is like disturbing its originality and some body told me that 3M care can do a good job on such things !! try to check with them before you take the decision of painting.

Thread Starter #19
Chayan

It is really sad to see those scratches, same thing happened to my car when it was new and I just felt like scratches on my heart[cry] Those were by my office lady, while cleaning my car with a good cloth but there was some hidden stone particle or metal particle was there and while cleaning with it, it scratched all around, but this was done unknowingly so what to do I cannot scold her. I did teflon coating two times and most of them are not visible from a distance, but they are visible from very close. So re-painting is like disturbing its originality and some body told me that 3M care can do a good job on such things !! try to check with them before you take the decision of painting.
The problem is couple of deep ones have gone to the primer level. No 3M, Waxoyl would remedy that.

@Chayan:
See buddy,if you have caught the culprit then it's best to make him/his boss pay for it. Rest I think this may get covered into insurance too(if you find the other person backing-off) by showing it a minor accidental repair(You will have to think of a good story of how it happened).

BTW, it looks like you people care the car very much because if I'd have been at your place then I'd haven't given a damn to such scratches etc(My car had some of them and they all got repaired in one visit). I just leave the place without thinking what and how it happened!!
So kudos to your love for your car..

Vipul,

Your post looks little offence buddy !! every person care about his car, because it is his hard earned money !![:)] I hope you understood by now

Some progress.. the culprit has been identified. The company security personnels did a commendable job and identified the person by talking with other drivers/guards and probably CC-TV footage (though I am not sure of the last one). They also have a written confession from the driver that he knowingly scratched my car and he is sorry and will not do so in the future.

My wife talked with his boss on phone and the gentleman has verbally assured that he would talk with his driver and inspect the damage on Monday and pay for the expenses.

Lets wait till Monday and see if that really happens. But a move to the positive direction none the less.
Just ask the gentleman to pay the entire cost of the repair , dont claim anything.

@Chayan:
See buddy,if you have caught the culprit then it's best to make him/his boss pay for it. Rest I think this may get covered into insurance too(if you find the other person backing-off) by showing it a minor accidental repair(You will have to think of a good story of how it happened).

BTW, it looks like you people care the car very much because if I'd have been at your place then I'd haven't given a damn to such scratches etc(My car had some of them and they all got repaired in one visit). I just leave the place without thinking what and how it happened!!
Mate, First buy the car with your hard earned money, then come again to this post and read what you have written here. And then say do you love your car or not.

Hi Chayan,

I am really feeling bad for the car since its ones priced possession, I too own a Jazz and keeping myself in your place makes me have this gutted feeling, However you can claim this under Insurance, In Insurance parlance these are called "Malicious Damages", You may have to get an FIR Done to claim it under insurance since few Insurance cos ask for the same, Hopefully you Jazz will be Healthy again.

Take Care!!

@Chayan:
TSI Vipul

I hope you purchased your car with hard earned money only because if you had then you would have realized whether to take care of your priced possession or not!

Vipul,

Your post looks little offence buddy !! every person care about his car, because it is his hard earned money !![:)] I hope you understood by now
Mate, First buy the car with your hard earned money, then come again to this post and read what you have written here. And then say do you love your car or not.
Guys you have got me wrong.My purpose of writing was not to offend anybody.
Instead my purpose was to say that these small issues can be ignored considering the shortage of time and can be repaired in one go when the time allows.
Else even my cars also come for hard earned money!![:)]

@Hastir:
My buddy neither I have time nor I have any love for visiting the A.S.S every month.For me 10000 kms means service and next 10000 kms of road and work.I too get my cars repaired, but I do it when I am free and from free I mean free.And I buy Toyota cars for same reason, because I can't sit in A.S.S every second week only because my feature loaded(no doubt, Honda cars are also highly reliable) car has a part or two malfunctioning every fortnight!!

Last edited:
I guess the culprit wanted to seek revenge or something like that. Because the extent to which he/she has done is extreme. Almost no part of the car is spared. This looks more like a planned misdeed, this is not the usual brats walking in Mall parkings with constantly scratching cars parked.

Identify the culprit & make him/her pay for the whole repair cost! DO NOT SPARE THEM
Also please do not try any DIY's as of now, your car looks brand new, any DIY experiemnt may worsen the scratched areas.

Thats very good news nice to see such people can be caught after all.
The problem is couple of deep ones have gone to the primer level. No 3M, Waxoyl would remedy that.
Well dont back out make the culprit atleast aware of the trouble,looks like a touch up is needed
TSI Vipul

I hope you purchased your car with hard earned money only because if you had then you would have realized whether to take care of your priced possession or not!
Come on guys i guess he dint mean,treat your car without care! He must be meaning dont get too stressed out,service centers will take care of it,unfortunately in this case scratches are not minor so "chayan" must be feeling the burn [:)]

Today i was using the Vento,after having coffee with friends i could see a rowdy like bunch getting comfy around the car & as i was walking past to my friends car I saw one guy,sitting on the bonnet & placing his foot on the numb plate,i dint want to confront these trouble seekers,but still fuming i told my friend aloud lets give them a bed,they took a hint it was my car & slowly walked away,alot of hand & 1 foot print,but washable.
Alot of such jerks out there![anger][gun]

@ chayan
felt so sorry on hearing[gun]
i understand your feeling as our car as meet this same suitvation many times in my homes parking by the old tenants small child[frustration].but not now.
do you know why did that driver have done like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Chayan:

This post of vipul was really surprising, as I thought Vipul would have nabbed the Culprit and would have given a slap of his life.

@Chayan: Wish to see your car ,back to it's glory.

This post of vipul was really surprising, as I thought Vipul would have nabbed the Culprit and would have given a slap of his life.
My buddy, I leave such things when I don't know who did it.
Actually why to take more stress in already stressed life?

But one thing for sure, if I'd have caught anyone doing anything wrong with my car then definitely the slaps are meant to fly in the air.
But yes, I just don't give a damn to minor scratches or dents especially when I know the other person will be unable to pay(like any rickshaw puller, or truck driver etc etc). Why to beat up a person who can't pay? Instead I believe in cleaning my hand on the car owners.

@Chayan:
My buddy, just get the other party with you to dealership and then make him pay because many times the bill is higher than what other person may have expected.

Thread Starter #30
@Chayan:

@TSIVipul: No offence taken buddy. The fact that you devote time to contribute to this forum and help out other members prove that you are a car lover at heart. Whether the car is bought with your earned money, gifted or inherited is secondary.

I think maintaining/caring for your ride is a pre-requisite not only because there is a emotional attachment (which is there anyway) but for other reasons as well. I can list a few that are on top of my mind:
1) This has to do with the first rule of the car - "Respect a man's car, and the man will respect you". Next time you see a well maintained car (can be anything -- say a Nano), go to the owner and appreciate his efforts put on maintenance. You will be rewarded back with respect.
2) Say while on your road to office you accidentally bump into a 'khatara' car with scratches/dent all over. Your bump might have caused a new scratch none the less, the owner will have very little to say to you as his car already has countless more. You will be more worried about what damage was there to your car.
Compare this with a similar situation where you accidentally bump into a well maintained car. In the latter case, you will be sorry no doubt for your own but also for the damage to the other car which you have caused. The other person would also be in a morally superior position to ask for compensation.

There was a behavioural study done in the US, where they parked a brand new vehicle in a rough neighbourhood and monitored it from a distance. For the first couple of days, no one touched the car. People took cursory glances but nothing more. After 4 days, one morning they noticed that the wheels were gone and the car rested on bricks. Rest of the car was OK. But within another 1 day, the car had been stripped off completely and only the shell remained.
The lesson learnt is that once we know that any item is not cared for (or a weakness exists), people will take advantage of it. This is very true for India. The same people will behave differently in a Airport lounge to when they are at a railway station.

3) Third and not the last reason is that your car defines who you are. Just like you attire, shoes, watch or your pen. Just as your clean your clothes and polish your shoes, why would the car be any different. Ultimately its protecting you from external dangers forming a cocoon around you when you are on the road. Its not something the people travelling on foot have.

And off-course there is a emotional aspect - we all love our cars. We visit showrooms, read reviews, take test drives just to select the right one, or in many cases the right one to select us.

Top Bottom