Someone Scratched My Car with Keys. Need Advice.

Thread Starter #1
Yesterday, someone keyed/scratch my Jazz in the company parking lot. My wife was a little late in office and most probably the late hours gave the miscreant ample opportunity to do what he did.

Some drivers were near by but as usual no body saw/heard anything. Seems to be a random act of vandalism as I cannot think of anything else. Some time people are so sick or frustrated that they vent their anger on whatever that is in front of them.

When I checked the damage at home, I was heart broken. Specially so as I had done the Waxoyl treatment just 6 months ago and it looked as good as new. The scratches were there on both the sides and the rear. Luckily nothing on the front. I felt such deep anger that I wanted to curse the person involved with bodily harm.

Now that I am sober again and trying to think logically. Some of the scratches can be treated with rubbing compound, but the deep ones have gone to the primer and not sure how I will take care of those.

Need advice on the following:
1) Can I claim insurance for these? Probably the whole doors & panel have to be painted, and knowing HASS its practically a weeks job. Since Puja/Diwali is close by, not surprised if its 2-3 weeks even. Cannot let go of the car for such a duration.
2) Was thinking of covering them up with body graphics. Not that costly (at max Rs.2K) and with proper design choice would cover the scratches well. I am not the type of person who would cover the car with vinyl, but now it seems the next best thing to do. Is there any downside to putting on vinyl graphics?

Any other suggestions please let me know.

Attaching pictures of the car after Waxoyl treatment (first 3) and then of the scratches (last night). Sorry for picture quality as they are taken with the mobile phone camera.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Some keyed/scratched my car - need advice

Bloody hell. Should catch hold of these people and beat the hell out of them. I can understand how it feels. [anger]

Check with the HASS, whether you claim for the damage or not, and also check with some outside mechanic about how much will it cost.

OMG... That's one helluva terror!!! Vandalism went to the core and no place left.
Better get it checked with HASS.

I wouldn't suggest doing vinyl job as it will spoil the looks whatsoever you choose. Jazz looks jazzy as it is.

IMO dont spoil the elegance of the Jazz by putting on the stickers. To me, all the scratches look minor enough to vanish after use of rubbing compound. I just hope, the idiot has not dented the car, if not, then get a com paint can, and apply the same using your finger tips and not using spray. I hope you are getting what i mean!

I had a similar experience recently. In my case it was some kids playing in the parking area who scratched my i10 at several places with some sharp stone. The scratches on my car appear very similar to yours in the pictures. I tried applying "Scratch Out" liquid but it did not help[frustration].

The scratch seems to have gone through to the primer. So a simple rubbing will not help. You can try the fillers so frequently advised on the TV. These are from Simoniz and you should be able to get them cheaper on eBay!

I am seething with anger . Such incestuous pieces of the canine variety should be wrapped up in barbed wire and lynched publicly on live embers before being castrated with a rusted hacksaw[angry].

I have seen the snaps posted by you. Sadly, scratch removers, rubbing compounds, etc would not work on these scratches. You will perforce have to get the whole door repainted to get the original look back. Claim insurance and get it done. There might be paintshops that promise you to repaint only the affected part and match it exactly with the rest of the body colour but you must remember that red is a difficult paint to match.

All the best and keep us posted.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks to all for the quick reply and advice.
@dharmesh: Yes, I will have it checked up by HASS and get the estimate of damage to the pocket. If bearable, will have it done during the next pending service in November.

@marun: I am also against vinyl, but for the reasons mentioned above.

@akash : fortunately there is no dent. I have experience with the com paint before, but somehow could not get the color to match. Earlier it was a small stone chip so did not make a difference. Let me try again and see.

@travelfreak: Scratch out and rubbing compund is the same. Will work on minor ones, but the deep ones are goner. Will dedicate some time this Saturday and Sunday with my trusted Waxpol rubbing compound.

@sgiitk: I have tried the Simoniz ones before, but they are not 20% of what they show on TV. Its at best some clear lacquer. But I guess I have to try a combination to lessen the damage to the extent possible.

I had complaint to the company facility and they say that they are investigating the matter. If they are able to identify the culprit, what is my next steps? Should I register the FIR against that person ? If he is one of the drivers, should I also register the FIR against the owner of the car under whom he works? Seems logical since he should be responsible for his driver as he has provided him access to the secure parking zone.

Please let me know your views.

Police may not register FIR as this would be a very minor issue for them. If the culprit is identified, make him pay the entire cost of repair.

Thread Starter #10
Police may not register FIR as this would be a very minor issue for them. If the culprit is identified, make him pay the entire cost of repair.
I know its a minor issue for the Police. But getting a FIR would be required for firstly if I claim insurance and secondly to put pressure on the culprit to pay.

The police has nothing to do as the culprit has already been identified.

Until now, I thought it happens only when we park our cars on road side, especially in Chennai and Mumbai. Its sad to know they did it in office parking lot. Please check with HASS for painting, stickers may spoil the look of your car.

Very sad to see the damage [anger]. The pain can be truly understand by the owner of the ride. It is a definitely job of a sadistic in your office.

You can ask for the CCTV footage from the security department from the office and catch the moron [gun].

Just get rid of the scratch as soon as possible or else every time you see your car, u will feel bad.

Amit

I know its a minor issue for the Police. But getting a FIR would be required for firstly if I claim insurance and secondly to put pressure on the culprit to pay.

The police has nothing to do as the culprit has already been identified.
I don't think FIR is required to claim insurance in this case. FIR is mandatory for claiming insurance if there is an accident involving injury to someone. A year back my car got severe damages to its bumper when I accidentally hit a big stone placed on the road(by some rogue) during night time. I got the entire front bumper replaced with a new one by claiming insurance(No FIR was required).

I think the best way to get rid of these scratches will be repainting but that will cost a lot, the scratches are all over the body so stickers / graphics will also not help. you can try some fillers available in the market.
Also as mentioned by amit1km try to get the CCTV footage and see if you can find the culprit.

Its quite an unfortunate incident.
I too had two such instances within the last couple of months. The first time it was some crook who tried his drawing skills on my Swifts bonnet while the latter proved his ability to carve a long straight line that starts from the driver door to the wheel arch on the back.

I don't know what kind of satisfaction one would derive out of doing such anti social practices and deeds.

Top Bottom