Someone Cracked My Polo's Windshield. Need Advice.

Thread Starter #1
All,

The Title says it all. This is a dejected soul writing with a broken heart, someone cracked my windshield and now I am blank as to what next? I spoke to the dealer who told that insurance would be covered fully although I might still have to pay the fitting charges which may run upto 2K. Money is not the concern here. Can the gurus tell me if its wise to claim insurance or pay from my own pocket. And if I have to pay from my own pocket, then how much deeper should I be digging.
I will post the pictures soon as now I am in no mood to click the photo. Please help [cry]

Re: Someone cracked my Polo's windshield. Need Advice

Sorry to hear about the incident.

I think if your entire cost of repair is less or marginal more than your no claim bonus then pay by yourself. But if it is way more than claim it.

Between, did you know who did this? [anger]

Thread Starter #3

@dharmesh, I would really love to know who did this and ask him "kyun bhai,mera hi gaadi kyun" But coming back to the topic, I am not sure how the cost of the windshield might be,if someone can give me a rough estimate, then I guess that plus the fitting charges of 2000 is what the total cost would be.

Hey Rajeev!

Sorry to hear this thing!! I understand your feelings and situations regarding your car.

As per the dharmesh, check the no claim bonus before taking insurance claim. If you want to pay your own it will cost you afterall it is VW. you can check the windsheild after market how much it cost with fitting. And also check the when the premium is due (if the crack is very small & you can bear with it then take insurance claim before paid the insurance premium i.e. 2nd last month or last month).

Regards,
Adi

All,

The Title says it all. This is a dejected soul writing with a broken heart, someone cracked my windshield and now I am blank as to what next? I spoke to the dealer who told that insurance would be covered fully although I might still have to pay the fitting charges which may run upto 2K. Money is not the concern here. Can the gurus tell me if its wise to claim insurance or pay from my own pocket. And if I have to pay from my own pocket, then how much deeper should I be digging.
I will post the pictures soon as now I am in no mood to click the photo. Please help [cry]
If you get hold of the person who did it, ask him to pay entire money.
Probably finding that person will take some time and you can't drive with broken wind shield all this while. Just drop the car to workshop and claim insurance. Do you have zero depreciation insurance? If yes, then the total cost would be less than 2k (probably around 1k), if no then it may go up to 2k.
The windshield cost (without claim) should be around 7k I guess.
If later you find the culprit, ask him to pay whatever compensation may look good to you. But for now, give it for replacement.

@ Dharmesh
Rajeev's car is new so he really can't predict if he meets another accident or not, firstly and secondly the cost of stand alone repair would be more than no claim bonus in this case I am sure. So, he is better off claiming the mishap.

Hey Rajeev!
Sorry to hear this thing!! I understand your feelings and situations regarding your car.
As per the dharmesh, check the no claim bonus before taking insurance claim. If you want to pay your own it will cost you afterall it is VW. you can check the windshield after market how much it cost with fitting. And also check the when the premium is due (if the crack is very small & you can bear with it then take insurance claim before paid the insurance premium i.e. 2nd last month or last month).
Regards,
Adi
I really doubt any garage keeping polo/VW windshields. Wind shield's can't be repaired they have to be replaced, even for a minor crack.

Rajeev, my humble suggestion- replace it as soon as possible, even a small crack is dangerous as increases the probability of a complete crack even on slightest of jerks/bangs.

Hey Rajeev!
If you want to pay your own it will cost you afterall it is VW
Aree, which car company does repairs for free?? Or may be I didn't get you!

aaii..how could people do such thing, what kind of upbringing they have.

I also have a small crack in my windshield,small means size of 2 rupees coin. In the evening I parked my car. I park my car on the street. Morning I came to start car and got the morning surprise. First day when I saw this, my heart got broke, fell down what not. But what can be done. Now I am living with mark on car,but every time I see, I feel bad.

If money is not concern, then it is always better to pay from the pocket, but then why we are paying the insurance premium. So claim the insurance, why to pay all amount from the pocket.

All,

It is really sad to note that but as suggested by many. Please check the overall cost and see which is letting you live peacefully. Even after this incident.

And also check the when the premium is due (if the crack is very small & you can bear with it then take insurance claim before paid the insurance premium i.e. 2nd last month or last month).

Regards,
Adi
Adi,

Please help me understand this concept of 2nd last month and last month. What is the catch [confused]

Ok i have recently been a victim of such thing, a drunk man was throwing stones on oncoming cars, he was later caught by the police but the damage was already done.

So here's what I did.

Option 1
1. Called windsheild experts (Windshield Repair, Auto Glass and Auto Safety Glass Replacement Services Center India). I called them because I heard they do the finishing job better than A.S.S and also because you can claim insurance through them.
2. The above option was cancelled because they do not entertain my policy royal sundaram. The total charges w/o insurance comes to around 4500 with labour.
3. With above option being cancelled i called up MASS and gave my car to them.
4. I had to pay 1600 Rs from my pocket (1000 as compulsory deductable + 600 for the silicon glue which is not covered under insurance). The total bill was 7300 (dont know why they charge so much for the glass and labour)

Car in question is ritz

Option 2

Call up windsheild experts and if the crack is very minor you can even repair your glass in under 500Rs. Just check out their website which will tell you what kind of cracks can be repaired.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
OK, i have read everyones suggestion and tanks guys for giving out your valuable comments. Now the problem here is, I am slated to take the car on a long trip (read Mumbai) and I really dont want a mark on my car especially when its not even 2 months old. And about the thing that Fusion Defusion said, if I can get the insurance claimed through the Windshield Experts, then nothing like it, because everyone knows how VW dealers act. And I think if I have to pay from my own pocket it ll be easily around 8 or 9 K including labour and what not. So I think I ll claim the insurance. I am not so bothered about the no claim bonus. But lets see, if Winshield Experts can do something about it, then I might go for it.

It is really sad to note that but as suggested by many. Please check the overall cost and see which is letting you live peacefully. Even after this incident.

Adi,

Please help me understand this concept of 2nd last month and last month. What is the catch [confused]
Hi,

Youd paid the premium for whole year but if you claim for e.g 2nd month (after paid premium) you will not get claim again for whole year. Most of the insurance company doesn't told us while taking the policy. So if you have major accident after taking 1st claim you have to pay from your pocket. In this case, you will take claim in 2nd last month since your car has been fully insured for last 10 months.

This case is only applicable if your car have minor dents and it can run without repairing. Even i guess this only 1 claim thing has been removed now a days (i need to check).

Hope this clears!

Regards,
Adi

Last edited:

I really doubt any garage keeping polo/VW windshields. Wind shield's can't be repaired they have to be replaced, even for a minor crack.

Rajeev, my humble suggestion- replace it as soon as possible, even a small crack is dangerous as increases the probability of a complete crack even on slightest of jerks/bangs.

Aree, which car company does repairs for free?? Or may be I didn't get you!
Hi,

I dont about the other cities but in delhi you will definately get it. Try Kashmiri market at ISBT.

You understand me wrong!!! if the VW charge 2K only for fitting then what about the glass??? i am assuming the total amount is between 7 to 10 K (glass + fitting) from VW. If the car is more than a year old the depreciation is also there from the insurance company. The fitting is max to max would be Rs. 1000 in most of the service centres and i have seen that.

Regards,
Adi

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

this is my i10's windshield. and the glass guy said it will be changed and you cannot fix this.

if you take insurance , as all said , you'll be only charged claim charges and fitting charges which will come to 2000 rupees max.

Thread Starter #14
allhyundaicars - you wont probably believe this but my Polo has the same crack at the same place(drivers side) and last but not the least, the same design,if I may say. What do you plan to do about it, or have you already changed the windshield.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
allhyundaicars - you wont probably believe this but my Polo has the same crack at the same place(drivers side) and last but not the least, the same design,if I may say. What do you plan to do about it, or have you already changed the windshield.
i believe you [lol] my crack happened out of nowhere ( driver's side). just like you i was confused how did that happen.

service center guys said maybe someone put extra pressure on the windshield causing the crack. as you can see there's no outside damage.

yeah i got it exchanged.

check the details here : http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...undai-trio-santro-i10-verna-8.html#post199129

Top Bottom