Sold Out My Beloved INNOVA, Now Which Car?

Re: Sold out my beloved INNOVA...now which car?

I have already mentioned that judge is my father this time(in fact first time)and he said to tick mark the XUV and what I did was silently followed his words.
What's your take on XUV?

VLX A/T 4X4,is Scorpio really available in 4X4 with an auto gearbox?As much I remember Scorpio 4X4 is only a manual one.[confused]
Yes its available!Look at the link,but am not sure about the prices:
http://www.carwale.com/new/quotation.aspx
http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/mahindra-scorpio-vlxauto-overview.aspx

Last edited:
Thread Starter #17

@Vishwas:My take on XUV is "A good VFM car which has everything to satisfy us and is really on the high position in the list".

So here comes the first test drive experience:-

Day before yesterday..
Papa:Beta,add the name of that car also into the list.
I:That car?Okay I am writing 'that car' in the list,when you see it again,just notify it to me.
He:Idiot,I am talking about the one you brought that night.
I:Which one?

Chauffy was called as he knew the name..

Chauffy:Bhaia sahab 'paanch sau' gaadi ki baat kar rahe hai!!(Bhaiya,sir is talking about 'five hundred')
I:Fiat 500??(I understood he mean XUV)
Chauffy:Nahi,MAIHAINDRA(not Mahindra) 'paanch sau'..(No,Maihaindra five hundred)
I:Accha,you mean XUV 500.
He was overjoyed and said 'yes'.

So I inquired about the TD and they told me that if we want a good long TD then we will get it next day's evening and same happened,yesterday night we went for the TD(I hope you remember judge is not me):-
A good silver colored XUV W8 was waiting for us..

I don't know what is the matter but when we both father-son enter a dealership all the SEs are smiling and after 5 minutes they lose their smile and become quite frustrated!![evil]
We firstly saw a display vehicle,my father was seeing XUV wile I was busy with Scorpio,so I silently added the 'SCORPIO' also in the list and called my father saying "Come and have a look at the new model Scorpio"..ignored!!
Again I called up...again ignored!!
Third time he came up,he opened the middle(or rear) door,looked at the middle row,then at front row and said "This is same as one we had,no this won't be bought".
SE(Intruding in between):sir,bahut badhiya gaadi hai,naya model hai check karo.(Sir,its very good car,new model,just check)
Father:What's new,same middle row,same interiors..
I:But this is really VFM,if is having ABS,Airbags and micro hybrid(jyada average dene waali-high average giving)technology too.
SE:Sar bhaut badhiya gaadi hai,bhaiya bhi keh rahe hain.(Sir,its a very good car,your son is also saying).
Father:My son is a foolish boy.
I(in an insulted tone):Let's see XUV.
SE:Sir,it does not have any waiting also,we can give you a car within 2-3 days while for XUV you may need to wait 4-5 months.
I understood now SE has made a mistake..
Father opened the door of Scorpio and closed it with a thud and said "You go outside and have a look at my Corolla,this car has no luxury,no build quality...even my Corolla also feels better built and put together than this car,you leave we will see XUV ourselves".
I too joined my father why?Because its a fact that Corolla is really better built than our all the entry level SUVs maybe its Bolero,Scorpio,Safari,Aria or XUV.

Starts TD:
First of all let me tell you that my father does not drive for more than a KM but still he takes 20-30 kms long TDs with others driving.In other words his TD is really unique and leave most of the SEs scratching their head.Nothing different happened yesterday too.

My father drove it quite a bit outside the dealership(about 200 meters) and said "The car is good",put the tick mark.It has ABS,6 airbags(my father was really impressed by this)and many features.Now I was driving and my father on the front seat.SE on the middle row with a quite confused face.Now after crossing the city I got order to climb the NH-58.So I did.
Father:Bhaga(speed it up).
I pressed the gas and he said "I think pick-up is good".
I:Yes it is.
The car is already doing 100 kph.
Father:Aur bhaga(speed it up even more).
Car now doing 145 kph and he said,"Yaar,its doing quite good,pass it for second list".(Actually he makes list after list until only 2-3 cars are left)
Car is stopped and now SE is driving and we both on the rear seat(he is even more confused now and quite nervous too,but silent)
Father:Hmm,should we book it?
I:So you passed it.
He:This car deserves passing,it has quite okay rear seat,but Laura and Corolla have it better.Also Innova felt better on the middle row,but still this car is okay.
I:Not now,first of all let's see other cars too.

Suddenly we passed from outside Honda showroom and he became emotional(He simply loves Civic,I don't know why,but he does)..
Father:Which is your favorite small car?The one you showed me that day,the Honda one..
I:Jazz?
He:Yaar,why to buy one car,let's get one Civic and one Jazz,Civic for highways and Jazz for city.
I:You have gone ut of mind.

Suddenly SE said "Sir,how is XUV?Book it today you will get it quite soon".

Father:You silently drive.
Again he was nervous.

We reached the dealership and returned back home.

Thread Starter #18

Update:

Right now the list has gone this way with many new entrants entering and the lower limit is now dropped till 9 lacs from 12 lacs.
About Honda cars I told my father that these are petrols and he said "But they are good and Laura is also petrol even then its mostly driven".So petrols are also okay now,but still my preference is diesel.

1):Maruti Suzuki:Kizashi(I just wanted to test it)

2):Hyundai:Only Santa Fe.(Fluidic is rejected by both of us)

3):Ford:Endeavour.(in case the new model arrives before March then we can wait for it too,else the current one will do for us)

4):Honda(it has longest list):Jazz,City,Civic,Accord and CRV.In other words we will test them all.

5):Nissan:Only X-Trail.

6):Toyota:New Innova,Fortuner,Camry.

7):Chevrolet:Only Captiva.

8):Skoda:Rapid,Laura L&K,Superb,Yeti.

9):VW:Jetta,Passat.(Vento rejected because Rapid is in the list).

10):Tata:Aria,Safari.

11):M&M:XUV,Maybe Scorpio VLX A/T(will again inquire about it)

In other words,if we pass from any dealership then it adds a car or two to the list,the game has gone even more confusing now but since the car will be bought either Feb-end or March so we have a lot of time to decide.What is really scaring me is that this list has nearly all the cars available qt the price range.

Day before yesterday..
Papa:Beta,add the name of that car also into the list.
I:That car?Okay I am writing 'that car' in the list,when you see it again,just notify it to me.
He:Idiot,I am talking about the one you brought that night.
I:Which one?

Chauffy was called as he knew the name..

Chauffy:Bhaia sahab 'paanch sau' gaadi ki baat kar rahe hai!!(Bhaiya,sir is talking about 'five hundred')
I:Fiat 500??(I understood he mean XUV)
Chauffy:Nahi,MAIHAINDRA(not Mahindra) 'paanch sau'..(No,Maihaindra five hundred)
I:Accha,you mean XUV 500.
He was overjoyed and said 'yes'......
Nice 500 story!

SE:Sar bhaut badhiya gaadi hai,bhaiya bhi keh rahe hain.(Sir,its a very good car,your son is also saying).
Father:My son is a foolish boy.
[lol] Show him your posts in TAI.

First of all let me tell you that my father does not drive for more than a KM....
....We reached the dealership and returned back home.
So the TD was upto your mark but compare the results with other TDs.

Right now the list has gone this way with many new entrants entering and the lower limit is now dropped till 9 lacs from 12 lacs.
Bhai,choose between the cars which promises you on the comfort,you have jotted down every car in the segment.

Thread Starter #20

[lol] Show him your posts in TAI.
Its useless because these words are hot favorite ones of most of the parents and in my home they are repeated at a frequency of per hour when both of us are together.

So the TD was upto your mark but compare the results with other TDs.
Actually our way of deciding a car is quite different,first of all we will TD all the cars we feel to be TDed and after that some of those cars will be marked while others will be rejected at the spot.
Now we will make out the A.S.S. chart and find out which of them have the A.S.S. centers at all the places we mostly visit.
Then we will make out the fuel type/monthly running and maintenance chart.
Now we make our priority chart like comfort,seating etc etc..
At last we come up with the price chart and features or VFM chart.

Now after we consider all this we combine them and make a matrix in which finally shortlisted cars will form rows and the above mentioned points will form columns and all will be given some points on a scale of 10.
At last the points of each car will be summed up and the car which scored highest points,irrespective of its brand,price,A.S.S.,fuel type etc etc that car will be bought.

So you can say that we buy the car on two scales only:-
1):The price and maintenance costs(if financed then installments also).
2):Our own basic needs and what we expect from our car.

By this way we have bought our Laura and Corolla and we are happy with both of them and same will be done for the upcoming car too.

Bhai,choose between the cars which promises you on the comfort,you have jotted down every car in the segment.
This is not enough,we will be visiting Mahindra first choice too tomorrow morning and on our Delhi trips many used car dealers will also be harassed by us.
Although I'll still say "you don't need to worry",more than half of the cars from this list will vanish within one week.
Then more than 75% will vanish within 2 weeks and at last only 4-5 cars will be left to compete.

Thread Starter #22
Re: Sold Out My Beloved INNOVA. Now which Car?

THE XOVER has a gut feel this time its going to be either XUV or Fortuner.
Dear Xovy,we people are full of surprises and its a fact that we both most of the time go the unbeaten way,so let the cars vs priorities matrix be made,till then no comments.In fact even if the Aria scores highest then it will come,or if X-Trail..I mean,anything it can be XUV to Santa-Fe..simply anything.

First four confirmed rejections done today,the rejected cars are:-
1):M&M Scorpio.
2):Tata Safari.
3):New Innova.
4):MS Kizashi.

Why these cars are rejected?Because:-
Scorpio:Even after I explained how it is VFM,my father simply said "it does not have the desired comfort".
Safari:No point of discussion,although he agree that its comfy but still he dislikes it and does not want to even TD it.
New Innova:No more Innova now,now he wants something better.
Kizashi:On its name he said "A Maruti car for 18 lacs!!"I have heard you once saying that its not even as comfy as our Laura,cross it.

Tomorrow is the 'T' day..
Morning 11 am is the TD of Fortuner,then Camry.After that there will be a TD of Aria at 4 pm.Although Ford dealership is also near the Toyota but they said TD won't be available tomorrow for Endy.So ford will get Sunday now.
In other words,tomorrow also at least one rejection will be done.

Last edited:

Hey bro. I guess you are in a same position as me.
Yesterday took a test drive of the santa fe. And boy i was amazed, immediately booked a 4x4 AT. Would be getting it in about 10 days or so.
So, i would say book the hyundai right away.
X- trail feels pretty bland once you get inside. Same for both Endy and T-fort.
I mean you surely need an SUV , coz in monsoon UP15 roads really get bad!
Or else go for the 'panch sau' ( XUV) !

Since your comfortable with Skoda the Skoda Yeti seems like a worthy thing for you to try although the draw backs are not all would approve its looks & as "Aviral" has pointed out in another thread is it mite be cramped in comparison to others ,I think top of the line elegance should be yours for 20 Lakhs on road & is comfortably inside your budget !

Another contender would be the Chevrolet Captiva LTZ manual or automatic it has a decent automatic also you can get one for 21 odd Lakhs(MT) ,23 lakhs(AT) on-road ,they have good discounts for it am guessing.

Thread Starter #25

Hey bro. I guess you are in a same position as me.
Yesterday took a test drive of the santa fe. And boy i was amazed, immediately booked a 4x4 AT. Would be getting it in about 10 days or so.
So, i would say book the hyundai right away.
X- trail feels pretty bland once you get inside. Same for both Endy and T-fort.
I mean you surely need an SUV , coz in monsoon UP15 roads really get bad!
Or else go for the 'panch sau' ( XUV) !
The only difference between your position and mine is that yours was quite long planned but mine occurred within 4 days and we are quite out of time also for making a good decision.
Tomorrow itself is our 'H' day,in other words tomorrow we will check out Honda City,Civic,Accord and CR-V and being true there are 50-50 chances that we both may return back after booking an Accord as one is near my house and we both have lost our heart on it.And tomorrow itself we will check out 'Hyundai Santa-fe' also.
Any ways as much I remember Das motors does not have a Santa-Fe for TD,can you please tell me if anyone here in Meerut Das Hyundai or TR Hyundai has a Santa-Fe for TD and what is the minimum booking amount to be paid for a Santa-Fe.
About roads,I really don't find too much to complain with UP 15 roads,only a patch near the Chevrolet dealership is broken rest all is quite good.

Since your comfortable with Skoda the Skoda Yeti seems like a worthy thing for you to try although the draw backs are not all would approve its looks & as "Aviral" has pointed out in another thread is it mite be cramped in comparison to others ,I think top of the line elegance should be yours for 20 Lakhs on road & is comfortably inside your budget !

Another contender would be the Chevrolet Captiva LTZ manual or automatic it has a decent automatic also you can get one for 21 odd Lakhs(MT) ,23 lakhs(AT) on-road ,they have good discounts for it am guessing.
Well,right now we are thinking if we can get any December 2011 car from any dealership as we can get the discount of a lac or two on it.Still 'Yeti' is my favorite SUV only because I drive myself.

No both T.R And Das motors, dont have test drive vehicle. I took a test drive on one of my friend's car.
Minimum amount for its booking is 5 lakhs. And it will take 2-3 weeks to reach u.
I was lucky that a Gray AT model was available at the chennai plant.
But if u search hard u may get lucky as well! :)

Coming to UP-15 roads, remember last monsoon what happened to the Delhi road ( partapur onwards till Ghaziabad) .

Although Accord is a fantastic car. If i had an option of a Sedan , i would surely have gone for the 3.5 V6 ! :)

Thread Starter #27

No both T.R And Das motors, dont have test drive vehicle. I took a test drive on one of my friend's car.
Minimum amount for its booking is 5 lakhs. And it will take 2-3 weeks to reach u.
I was lucky that a Gray AT model was available at the chennai plant.
But if u search hard u may get lucky as well! :)
So where you did the TD as we will be going to Noida and Delhi for next two days for doing TD of Honda cars and Hyundai Santa-Fe.

Coming to UP-15 roads, remember last monsoon what happened to the Delhi road ( partapur onwards till Ghaziabad) .
Yes I remember those potholes developed in the stretch between byepass to Gzb.,but now its repaired.

Although Accord is a fantastic car. If i had an option of a Sedan , i would surely have gone for the 3.5 V6 ! :)
V6 will not do for us as it will prove to be extremely expensive considering our running,while 2.4 can be quite bearable.Simple it is,2.4 gives upto 13 kpl on highways and 10 kpl in city while V6 gives 6-7 in city and 8-9 on highways.

UPDATE:-
TD of Fortuner and Camry done,only Fortuner was available at Meerut so we went about 60 kms away to another dealership to TD both of them.Really impressed by both the cars but since right now I have to leave for the TD of Aria(we people never call the TD car,but go to the dealership because we people always want to experience the pre-buying dealership experience too) will be posting the complete TD of all three all together.

Right now one of the two tested cars(Camry and Fortuner) has been rejected.Can anyone guess which one it is?(Hint:Read my posts and you may understand)

Last edited:

I Dont know about the dealers, the car i drove belonged to a friend of mine.
That was a 2011 september model.

Yea, on the efficiency front the 2.4 will do just fine .

so it is the fortuner.
BTW you already had the the XUV 5oo na ?

so why another one of the same kind?

So you are also on the lookout for a new car! Even i am looking but i have slightly lesser budget than yours!

Your list is pretty exhaustive , i will wait till you remove few cars out of that list and then i will give my suggestions and experiences.

Firstly i want you to decide whether it's sedan or SUV. For your family and requirements i think a sedan should do better if you travel on good roads mostly.

Top Bottom