Sold Out My Beloved INNOVA, Now Which Car?

Re: Sold Out My Beloved INNOVA. Now which Car?

Firstly i want you to decide whether it's sedan or SUV. For your family and requirements i think a sedan should do better if you travel on good roads mostly.
I think Vipul already have an awesome sedan Skoda then why again?

One thing bites me real bad about fortuner is its lack of uniqueness !!!! I hate to see it in my OVRM ,I just slow down and let it pass not matter what. many fortuner guys might have thought that punto guy is very afraid of fortuner behind him but if they read it then the truth is it looks ugly to me only thing I like in fortuner is thick tires and powerfull engine.

yeah everybody in India knows it is macho car blah blah but it has no head turner thingie in it . more over, place where I work it is not even known as proper SUV. we consider it hylux truck with rear seats and roof (read -due to bad ride quality).

suv's we consider are Prado,pajero,santa-fe.
Again from these Hyundai santa-fe have everything one should look for (skepticle about ride quality and ass in India-IMO these models are not built in India but imported)

if one wants modern elegant looks and save hell lot of money then think no further; Aria.

One thing bites me real bad about fortuner is its lack of uniqueness !!!! I hate to see it in my OVRM ,I just slow down and let it pass not matter what. many fortuner guys might have thought that punto guy is very afraid of fortuner behind him but if they read it then the truth is it looks ugly to me only thing I like in fortuner is thick tires and powerfull engine.

yeah everybody in India knows it is macho car blah blah but it has no head turner thingie in it . more over, place where I work it is not even known as proper SUV. we consider it hylux truck with rear seats and roof (read -due to bad ride quality).

Again from these Hyundai santa-fe have everything one should look for (skepticle about ride quality and ass in India-IMO these models are not built in India but imported)

if one wants modern elegant looks and save hell lot of money then think no further; Aria.
Thats exactly the reason why i didn't went for the fortuner. [cheers]

Santa Fe rides extremely well . Its a great balanced car. Although i have done a short 5 km run in it.

Aah i forgot that he already owns an Altis diesel and also the amazing Laura TSI!

Okay then replace the Innova with another SUV/MUV. When the time comes replace your Laura or Altis with an higher segment sedan.

Waiting for your update after today's TD.

Thread Starter #34

so it is the fortuner.
BTW you already had the the XUV 5oo na ?

so why another one of the same kind?
You are right buddy,Fortuner is rejected to my surprise.
About XUV,I don't own it and after the TD of Aria and my father's take on Aria,XUV also looks like it will go out after 2-3 lists.

So you are also on the lookout for a new car! Even i am looking but i have slightly lesser budget than yours!

Your list is pretty exhaustive , i will wait till you remove few cars out of that list and then i will give my suggestions and experiences.

Firstly i want you to decide whether it's sedan or SUV. For your family and requirements i think a sedan should do better if you travel on good roads mostly.
List has started becoming small buddy ad within a week or two you will find only one name or two.

Dear Jayadev,dunno why but it seems like you and my father both have 90% of same thinking.Most of his and your words are matching.(I hope you haven't got his contact number from somewhere:lol!:)
Well,just make a prediction two in sedans and two in SUVs out of the list,maybe yours turn up to be the final buy.

Thats exactly the reason why i didn't went for the fortuner. [cheers]

Santa Fe rides extremely well . Its a great balanced car. Although i have done a short 5 km run in it.
Why my father rejected Fortuner,the reason will come up later.
5 km TD,naaa this will not be a deal maker for me,for me a TD means at least 30 kms..

Aah i forgot that he already owns an Altis diesel and also the amazing Laura TSI!

Okay then replace the Innova with another SUV/MUV. When the time comes replace your Laura or Altis with an higher segment sedan.

Waiting for your update after today's TD.
But my father who even don't know that Laura can do 220+ kph speed always take the Laura with him leaving me back with the Corolla.The Laura has done 55k+ kms in just one year while Corolla has done just 12k in six months.
Maybe SUV or MUV or maybe sedan,because right now we have felt that we really don't need an SUV for any reason.Sedans are as good as them.
They also tackle rough patches and still offer good ride quality.
They also can go anywhere:-
Example:Every year I make a Ladakh trip in the month of june-july via Rohtang and the cars we took are:-
2008(not via Rohtang):Safari.
2009(via rohtang):Innova
2010(two trips,both via rohtang):Pajero and Swift.
2011(two cars via rohtang):Laura TSI and Pajero.
And everytime we felt that if driven sensibly then sedans are better than even the 2WD SUVs.

Right now quite tired,will brig the TD either an hour later or tomorrow's morning.Till that time only today's result:-
Rajected:Toyota Fortuner.
Passed:Toyota Camry and Tata Aria.

Hmmm glad to hear that the Aria has passed your TD result!

Will wait for your detailed report tomorrow , take rest.

So from your previous post now i can assume SUV'S/MUV'Sare ruled out now?

Thread Starter #36

Hmmm glad to hear that the Aria has passed your TD result!

Will wait for your detailed report tomorrow , take rest.

So from your previous post now i can assume SUV'S/MUV'Sare ruled out now?
Why to wait till tomorrow,the review is just some minutes away.
This time not only I and my father but our well experienced chauffy too joined us and with him,we were really able to make out what we really want and the finer details about the drive too.

One more update:One more new entrant,again by my father Mitsubishi Outlander,although I know this will lose in the final car vs priorities matrix,but still I added it to list on his demand.

Why not add the montero if it is ok to add a HM product?
But another question there is a hyundai sonata waiting to be launched.
If you are not in hurry you could look at that too.

Thread Starter #38

So here comes today's TDs

By 11:30 am on today's morning we reached the Toyota dealership at Ghaziabad(We were lucky as there was virtually nearly no rush today),so as per the promise we met the SE whom we talked to and he directly took us to the cars saying "Which one first"?
I:But we need TD for at least 30 kms.
He:30 kms!!But sir 10 is enough for judging a car.
Chauffy:Tees matlab tees(30 means 30).

SE ran inside and 2 minutes later came out smiling and said "Sir why 30,you can do even 100".

Since I knew that if first Camry is TDed then my father will simply reject Fortuner so first Fortuner..

As usual,firstly I and my father on front seats and making observations
City traffic-Okay,pass.
Now we came on NH 58 and again my father said "Bhaga(speed it up)".
Fortuner roared like a lion and cut the traffic like a scissor with everyone giving it way-Pass.
Now came Chauffy on driver seat and we both on middle row..

Father:Yaar where is luxury?
SE:Sir its very comfy.
Father:Where?
SE became silent..

Now Chauffy did 140 kph and said "Sahab,jam ke nahi chal rahi(sir,not planted)".
After half minute he stopped the car for no reason and said "Sahab BARAKE(not 'brake')toh pakadti hi nahi(poor braking it has),ABS aur airbag toh chahiye hi jab BARAKE hi nahi pakadti hai,takkar hi maregi(ABS and airbags are needed when braking is poor,it will definitely hit others)
Father:So safety is compromised quite a bit.
chauffy:Puri ki puri(not quite but completely).

Father:Cross this car,when my chauffy does not like it then who will drive it.(Yes our Chauffy is important for us,he is serving us for nine years and before we buy any car he always TD and pass it.To some it may sound weird but to the ones who have kept one for so long can understand the importance of one long serving man especially when they are just two in family like us.)

Suddenly car passed from outside Mitsubishi dealership and my father said "What is that white small looking SUV"?
I to Chauffy:Take a U turn.

Reached the Mitsubishi dealership in a Toyota TD vehicle,checked out Outlander and impressed but since TD was not available today but they told us to give them our contact number as they will cal us within 2 days as the TD vehicle comes.So now Outlander is also in the list.

Now comes the turn of Camry,but since I am really tired and there are some signs of illness too(maybe fever)so I need to go now,rest will be posted tomorrow morning.

TO BE CONTINUED...

@Superbad:
Montero is a bit too far from our upper limit,and Sonata is not considered at all,we have two cars better than Sonata.

Last edited:

Fully agree with your views on the Fortuner!They should have provided all wheel discs for the price they demand! However the new Fortuner is having all wheel disc brakes and i hope it will be better , mind waiting for the new Fortuner?

Agree on the comfort part too , i felt the Innova to be more comfortable than the Fortuner.

Outlander is actually a very good vehicle which is not doing well because of the Mitsubishi's poor A.S.S network and petrol engine.

Fully agree with your views on the Fortuner!They should have provided all wheel discs for the price they demand! However the new Fortuner is having all wheel disc brakes and i hope it will be better , mind waiting for the new Fortuner?

Agree on the comfort part too , i felt the Innova to be more comfortable than the Fortuner.

Outlander is actually a very good vehicle which is not doing well because of the Mitsubishi's poor A.S.S network and petrol engine.
Nope new Fortuner still has rear drum brakes and only 2 airbags, but now it has VSC or ESP in top end 4x4 variant.

Passed:Toyota Camry and Tata Aria.
Two car I have always loved is Honda accord for its exceptional looks and Skoda superb for its brilliance.

Well I am not automotive guy neither I have reach to buy such luxury at present.

But Toyota camry in looks departement ..LOL have anybody seen Toyota Yaris at every nook and corner of gulf countries? not to offend anybody but that is what I felt when I saw it in pre owned Car showroom an year back.

Nonetheless Camry should be a great car but I have not seen it much in India compared to Honda accord.

Comparing these type of luxury saloon to UV ,suv segment and making a decision would be weirdest most funny thing one can experience..!
something like you are in market and asked to buy one, out of Gulabjamun and Golgappa..!!

Thread Starter #42

Now comes the turn of Camry,but since I am really tired and there are some signs of illness too(maybe fever)so I need to go now,rest will be posted tomorrow morning.
Haha,my estimate was quite correct,the thermometer today's morning when I woke up and complained about feeling tired said 101 and my father strictly ordered me rest for today.So no today,instead we will do complete Honda cars(Civic,Accord and CR-V,TD of City is many times done on friend's car),Chevrolet Captiva,Nissan X-Trail and Santa-Fe will be done in upcoming two days in Delhi.All booked and confirmed with concerned SE's.

Comparing these type of luxury saloon to UV ,suv segment and making a decision would be weirdest most funny thing one can experience..!
something like you are in market and asked to buy one, out of Gulabjamun and Golgappa..!!
Even I too know that this is the really weird comparo being carried out but as I have already mentioned in my first post that we need a 'CAR' irrespective of SUV/MUV/Sedan,so we are also forced to check out all and everything we feel can work for us.
:offtopic:I am sure you mean Sedans=Gulabjamun and SUVs=Golgappa...[lol]

Some more cons we found in the Fortuner review are:-
1):The NVH levels were not really upto the mark.
2):Bumpy low speed ride and quite unsettled high speed ride over uneven surfaces,overall Innova's ride quality also felt better than Fortuner.
3):Cabin quality was okay but still not upto the mark for a car costing 24 lacs.
4):We are serious about safety and ABS and only 2 airbags for 24 lacs are not done for us.While the braking is quite okay but still we felt that Fortuner is QUITE HANDFUL WHILE DESCENDING THE INCLINES,ESPECIALLY AT HIGH SPEEDS.

Mate where are details of your Aria TD and in what way did it impress your father?We want the full Aria story, c'mon Vipps?

Thread Starter #44

Now comes the best TD done till now:Guess which car it is?Yeah,you are quite correct its the TOYOTA CAMRY M/T:-
Disclaimer:This review is really long,so you need to be quite patient and if you hate long reviews then you can get a small summary at the end:biggrin:

Till now there were still some chances that Fortuner can get a place in the list but then we entered the dealership and in front of us was a white beauty,it was long,sleek,quite sporty but had some luxury signs in her design,in other words we all four people(even the SE too with we three ie:I,my father and our Chauffy)were awe struck and then SE broke the silence saying "Sir,should we go for the TD"?
I:Keys?
Father:First I.

So with my father driving and I on front seat we people again left for the TD,as usual after 500 meters of soft driving my father said "Gazab(amazing)" and then came Chauffy on driver's seat and father on rear seat and again came a sound "Waah(wow)",so without even asking him I took out the A4 sheet and market the Camry for next list.
Now I observed the car and what I saw was that the car had 31k kms on odo but still it was as pleasing as a brand new car(in fact these cars have no effect of 20-30k kms)now I observed every single detail of the car and what I found was there was not even a single bit of any cheap looking part and detailing was also quite fantastic,the space...the space simply astonished us.You ask for anything headroom,legroom,width,length,under thigh support,backrest angle I mean anything you ask and this car has it,even the boot space is also impressive.
Since the dealership is on NH 58 so the car was doing about 160 kph on an empty stretch and I unaware of it was checking out everything and asked chauffy "Bhagao ji(speed it up man)",then he said "Bhaiya gaadi badi kamaal ki hai(bhaiya,car is great").Then came an uneven surface,Camry passed it at 120kph and we haven't even felt if there was something.I mean the NVH is great,the suspension is great and the stability is also great.
Then chauffy said the same words again "Bhaiya smabhal ke baitho(bro,sit quite firmly)" and then Camry suddenly changed lanes,some zig-zag motion,then chauffy quickly moved his eyes on both the ORVM's and pressed the brake pedal hard by pulling the car towards left side and said "Koi kami nahi hai gaadi mein,stairing(not steering)badhiya hai,brakes kamaal hain and comfort is also great(nothing is wrong with the car,steering is quite accurate,brakes are great and comfort is also great)
Now it was my turn to TD and dealership was already 16 kms away,so my job was to thoroughly check the car at every speed in every condition and find out some cons(Chauffy found three:Steering still not as good as of Laura,Power delivery could have been better,there was a feeling of elasticity in the chasis or you can say the chasis was not quite rigid or you can say 'body control was not upto the expectations')So considering these three points I started:-

Highway/High speed drive:As said by chauffy,I felt the same,the body control was not still there while I found the suspension too a bit too soft,acceleration was not as high as of my TSI and gearbox was also nowhere as good as..[thinking]..say,a Honda or a Skoda!!I mean a typical Toyota it was,Jack of all trades,master of none.

Population:This stretch was covered by chauffy to see the agility and to scare the public with speed but I did it sedately and then I noticed that low speed ride is like travelling on a cushion of air,it was simply outstanding.But if you need sudden bursts of power then you need to wait a bit,after this engine crosses 3500 rpm,then its a beast(in other words it like a Honda i-vtec,simply underpowered in lower revs,still I can say it pulls better than Honda engines in lower rev range),but here I felt that steering needed to be a bit more responsive and there was slight disconnected feeling too,so again chauffy proved to be correct.

Broken stretch:Here I really appreciated Camry because at a speed of about 30 kph the Camry's suspension simply absorbed all and everything,and the ride was simply not at all unsettled but was very planted.

We reached the dealership with all of us appreciating the Camry for all it has and hence it simply got passed[clap].

So repeating the pros and cons of Camry in my style is as follows:-

Pros:-
1):Its a looker and really turns a lot of heads as well as open mouthed stares too are given to her.
2):Interior has everything a buyer needs in this segment.
3):If you are chauffeur driven and like the plain but luxury features then you will never go wrong with this car.I mean this car has no surprises but it is what it looks.

Cons:-
1):Steering could have been more responsive,although it is accurate and also places the car where one wants but still it feels a bit disconnected.
2):Agility is not as good as a Laura or a Superb or an Accord.
3):Body control could have been better.

Overall,one thing which fells in both categories,pros and cons:-
  • It is a jack of all trades but master of none,or say-'a typical Toyota' which is focussed at every age/profession people not at any particular one.

Well,I think this review has gone quite long,so Aria review will come up in next post(it is also quite long).
TO BE CONTINUED..

Last edited:

Just saw your post in TEST DRIVE section and replied, please check.And yes Camry is one heck of a car,btw what do you think about Skoda Superb V6?

Top Bottom