So You Thought Women Are Bad Drivers?

All of our dads and uncles do mot drive well.
Driving skill do not come by hereditary.
May be some what gender based but we have good and sensible lady drivers in india.
And many foolish male drivers.
I think its the individual skill and sensibility that counts.

If woman are known for multitasking then they can drive with ease than man because driving is multitasking. clutch, gear , brake . horn everything to be done at a time at some situations while driving in india.

So what do you think men are good drivers and women are not?
Only because our dad and grandfather were used of driving from generations?
and women are not because our moms are only used of cooking?
Hope those questions are to me?!

Well, I never said that Men are the Best Drivers and Women are the Worst. If my points can be interpreted to such an opinion, sorry, it's not the case. BTW, did you really read my post completely? Just asking as the questions raised makes me to think otherwise. Just that!

I am not typecasting women here. But would like to mention an incident that happened today morning in front of my eyes.
I was following a red alto, which was crusing at 30-40 kmph. All of a sudden it swerved left, and came to immediate halt. No signalling done by driver. A cyclist (an old person) was on the left lane, and this car stopped bang in front of him. Somehow he could stop by putting his feet down. he didnt react, and started again.

The two ladies (around 40 years old) in the car were frantically searching for mobile phone. I crossed them but somehow my eyes were on the rear view mirror. As the cycle guy cam in front of the stopped red car, the lady driver (may be she could locate her mobile) started abruptly. She didnt even bother to look who was coming from behind her on the right. She started with a wheel spin and hit the cyclist on his back tire. he fell down.

I did see the cyclist guy stand up, while ladies were still within the car. I didnt bother to stop as by now I was way ahead and the local stall guys were converging on scene.

Should I laugh on the cyclist's bad day today, or just pray to god, to lend some thinking brain to that bugger lady driver.

And I am back with another interesting incident today. Today I didnt drive, instead took the company shuttle to work. And with all my energy available with me, I preferred to observe the drivers.

On traffic signals the tempo traveller / sumo drivers take out a local newspaper and start reading till the signal turns green. Indica cab sits attentively to look out for any possible gap to zoom away. The men were busy calling through phone or bluetooth (its monday so lot needs to be synced up). But then between all these chaos, I found a lady driver in dark shade sunglasses (it was cloudy in the morning and seemed it was about to rain), an open tiffin box in the front passenger seat with cut papaya and a half eaten sandwich, 1 phone in a holder attached to the dashboard, another one she was talking on with her left hand. And in parallel she was applying some makeup on her cheeks while the rear view mirror angled towards her face.

The signal turned green, but she didnt notice. People behind her kept honking but she was busy in her makeup. Then a bike guy banged on her window to get her attention. She panicked, started the car in hurry and landed with her left wheels over the footpath. This is when my shuttle crossed her, and the last look on her face was that of CONFUSION.

Funny morning indeed [:)]

Just on Friday I was having discussion with my Account Manager (He is an Aussie) about insurance cost for women here. He said although there are less number of accidents where women are involved, that certainly does not means that they are not cause of one.

He gave an example, where a woman just stops car in the middle of the road to save a cat or dog and the guy behind will hit brakes hard and sway from hitting her and eventually would hit a tree or fence on the side of the road. In this case guy have to claim and insurance and +1 to guys. [;)]

He gave an example, where a woman just stops car in the middle of the road to save a cat or dog and the guy behind will hit brakes hard and sway from hitting her and eventually would hit a tree or fence on the side of the road. In this case guy have to claim and insurance and +1 to guys. [;)]
+1, Do they tail gate like we do in India? [lol]

^^

As far as law goes even in India, (If at all we follow) in case of accident the person hitting from behind is at fault. If one has hit other car in front from behind that means the car behind was not following the rule for appropriate gap. When I met accident I went for FIR and I said I will go to court no issues, cop asked whether you were following rule of minimum gap of 20 feet between 2 cars. I said that is practically not possible to maintain in Mumbai. In the end I paid chai pani and got the hell out of there. So the person in car ahead is never at mistake. Person hitting from behind was not maintaining enough safe distance and was not able to apply brakes on time.

I never thought women are bad drivers, instead I believe it.

Definitely women cause lesser number of accidents - themselves. Its just that because of their nervousness and of course nonsense activities at times, some poor people get involved in accidents.

^^

As far as law goes even in India, (If at all we follow) in case of accident the person hitting from behind is at fault. If one has hit other car in front from behind that means the car behind was not following the rule for appropriate gap. When I met accident I went for FIR and I said I will go to court no issues, cop asked whether you were following rule of minimum gap of 20 feet between 2 cars. I said that is practically not possible to maintain in Mumbai. In the end I paid chai pani and got the hell out of there. So the person in car ahead is never at mistake. Person hitting from behind was not maintaining enough safe distance and was not able to apply brakes on time.
How it is possible to maintain 20 feet gap.if you will try, vehicles behind you immediately overtake and fill that gap.[evil]
And what about if someone going to overtake the vehicle and if vehicle in front apply brakes suddenly .

Last edited:
How it is possible to maintain 20 feet gap.if you will try, vehicles behind you immediately overtake and fill that gap.[evil]
And what about if someone going to overtake the vehicle and if vehicle in front apply brakes suddenly .
Yea, you maintain a distance of 20 feet, someone comes in middle so what will we do? Stay more 20 feet behind to let another guy squeeze in. Anyways, because of that rule I will be buying one dash cam pretty soon, as of for now am using my mobile as one but that would be helpful.

--

Regarding, women being as bad drivers, I have come across many men and women drivers driving like idiots, as if the road is owned by them. I would hate to say this but as far as I've been in the roads seeing a women driver, they always seem nervous and you may never know where they're going to take a turn. I don't know if its that they're scared of being criticized, nervousness or just its their normal behavior.

Recently while coming from Lonavala via the Mum-Pune Expressway, am about to overtake a small tempo and from nowhere comes a scooty from extreme left lane to the right without giving a damn, I honk out loud but it goes in vain, as they're busy capturing their moments with a Digi-Cam while riding on a two-wheeler that too on a expressway, that too on the extreme right lane, so yea, you can say that one reason for me being against woman drivers but all in all as I said, no one is perfect, be it men or women.

Well, the scenario is not the same around world.

Though I must admit, there are a few women in India who I know drive much better than myself, however that percentage, is pretty small.

But here in US, most of the Public transport vehicles are handled by women and I must admit, they drive flawlessly. Be it light rail, huge buses, they drive very well. Then again, they are trained well unlike Indian driving schools which are more into getting the RTO paper work done, than actually giving driving lessons to the student!

But here in US, most of the Public transport vehicles are handled by women and I must admit, they drive flawlessly. Be it light rail, huge buses, they drive very well. Then again, they are trained well unlike Indian driving schools which are more into getting the RTO paper work done, than actually giving driving lessons to the student!

Ask the US driver to drive in India, either they have to leave the job or they have to become one of us.

Ask the US driver to drive in India, either they have to leave the job or they have to become one of us.
Well, to some extent yes, they may not be able to handle the roads of India, where more often, people refuse to stick to rules, however, I must admit there's something which most people driving in India have an issue when they drive here, which is parellel parking.

But on your point, +1!

The stereotype of women being bad drivers is nonsense. As a woman I find this stuff very sexist and a major problem in India. Men's attitude of saying women are "weak" "nervous" "confused" is just rubbish.

There are bad drivers of both sexes. And fix the driving rules and enforce them in India before calling women bad drivers. Why is it people have to drive like fools and use the honk every time for no reason.

Top Bottom