Slight Wobbling at Medium Speeds in Maruti Swift

Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends,

I am experiencing slight wobbling in my Swifty at medium speeds say 40-50kmph with or without too much load. I can feel my legs as the car wobbles. Its not extreme wobbling but very minor. I took it to my Service Center and got serviced recently and asked him to rotate the wheels. I also did check the alignment and it seems to be fine. When I took it to service center for second time he checked the wheels and said its worn out and that is the reason for wobbling and advised me to change tyres after 5k kms. I double checked with a local Tyre shop and he said tyre is gone and needs to be replaced. I also enquired about wheel balancing to my service advisor he said if balancing is not proper car jumps and not wobbles.

My Questions are:

1. If tyres are wornout will the car wobble?
2. Will wobbling eat brake pads?
Note: I recently changed my brake pads, old ones lasted only mere 10k Kms [cry]
3. Is 47k Kms a good mileage to change the tyres?

SS80, Varun & friends Need you advise folks.

This issue is either due to uneven tire wear or the rim bend.

Is the wobbling happening while braking ?

Yes 47k kms is fine for tire replacement. Or you can go to Madhu's at Lalbhag road.
They would check the wheel and tire for any tire bends/ uneven wear.

uneven thread pattern on tires can cause wobbling issues. yes once you fit a new Tyre, get a wheel alignment done. wobbling can happen if the right tire and left Tyre threads are uneven. even if the car wobbles after the tire change, you need to check the rims and wheel joints,

- Worn out tyres
- Bent rims
- Worn out Tie rods / lower arm ball joints

Any of these could contribute to wobbling. 47k km is good enough life and it's time for replacement.

Hello Friends,

I am experiencing slight wobbling in my Swifty at medium speeds say 40-50kmph with or without too much load. I can feel my legs as the car wobbles. Its not extreme wobbling but very minor. I took it to my Service Center and got serviced recently and asked him to rotate the wheels. I also did check the alignment and it seems to be fine. When I took it to service center for second time he checked the wheels and said its worn out and that is the reason for wobbling and advised me to change tyres after 5k kms. I double checked with a local Tyre shop and he said tyre is gone and needs to be replaced. I also enquired about wheel balancing to my service advisor he said if balancing is not proper car jumps and not wobbles.

My Questions are:

1. If tyres are wornout will the car wobble?
2. Will wobbling eat brake pads?
3. Is 47k Kms a good mileage to change the tyres?

SS80, Varun & friends Need you advise folks.
1. If tyres are wornout will the car wobble? - Only if the wear is extremely uneven.
2. Will wobbling eat brake pads? - No
3. Is 47k Kms a good mileage to change the tyres? - Good time to change tyres

Since you are saying that this wobble only happens in some definite speed range and you have worn out tyres. This could only be attributed to the tyres and wheel balancing, as steering and other things will not go bad in just 47K.

Last edited:
Santosh - You already have got some handsome response. Here is a bit from me.

Wobbling is possible with improper WA, WB, Uneven Wear or Worn Tyres, Bent in Rim(s) etc. As you already have checked the 1st two and last one, Tyre Wear could be a problem perhaps and 47K is a decent mileage for a change. But it also depends on the brand of the tyres you have and how it's used & maintained. A good brand, with proper usage and maintenance can last up to 60K if not more. Brands like MRF, JK won't generally last for even 40K, especially the stock ones and your's being Swift I guess, you must have one of them [;)]

As a suggestion, you can try Michelin XM2 or Apollo Accelere this time.

Thread Starter #7
Thanks a ton for the Input folks!

I am sure about the Alignment, when contacted the service center he suggested me to drive for another 5K kms and change the tyres. I would change the tyres shortly. Thanks Figoian for the input. And also correct me the service center guy told me balancing is not the concern as if its issue with rim bend or balancing the car would jump up-down slightly. Is that true??
Am on a vacation and travelling round about of 1.2K Kms. Will there be any problem if I take risk of taking without changing tyres?

Drive Sane
Santosh

@santosh

In addition to our members input, I have doubt on one particular tyre which is either badly warned out or having some defect like rubber got damaged on external or internal side walls.
47k is good tyre life and you can go for replacements and I suggest you BS Turanza for the same

@santosh

In addition to our members input, I have doubt on one particular tyre which is either badly warned out or having some defect like rubber got damaged on external or internal side walls.
47k is good tyre life and you can go for replacements and I suggest you BS Turanza for the same
You are right bro
@santhosh
Find out that particular tyre and keep it as the spare one,
and go for that 1200km drive.

Last edited:
Thanks Figoian for the input. And also correct me the service center guy told me balancing is not the concern as if its issue with rim bend or balancing the car would jump up-down slightly. Is that true??
Am on a vacation and travelling round about of 1.2K Kms. Will there be any problem if I take risk of taking without changing tyres?

Drive Sane
Santosh
About Balancing - General it's believed that the Vibrations will be felt in the Steering / Body only in high speeds like 120+. However, I have experienced it in lower speeds like less than 20 and rectified it by WB as well. Likewise, a bent rim will also cause vibrations / wobbling for sure. BTW, I didn't understand the logic of bent rim causing up-down jumps [confused]

1.2K KMs... Hmmm! Depends on how good your tyre is and can't say without seeing it on naked eyes. What is the tread condition / measurement? Anything less than 2 MM is risky. Have you had any puncture(s) oflate? How is the braking efficiency? Any drop in FE observed? Some of these answers will give you the answer to your question.

However, out of my experience, highway drives with unsure tyres aren't advisable. Moreover, a wobbling car will tire you and other passengers sooner than it would otherwise.

It might also be possible that the wheels might be imbalanced...check for gouges in the rims significant enough to be a missing wheel weight.

Imbalanced wheels do not wobble at minimum speeds unless the wheel disc is damaged.
And such a damage can surely be seen with the naked eyes.
so you can leave this possibility bro.

Do you even know what wheel imbalance is?

FYI I said WHEEL imbalance not TYRE imbalance, two totally different things.

WHEEL imbalance IS caused by damage to the rim, ie. the loss of some weight around the outer edge of the rim.

Of course it's noticeable to the naked eye, WHY DO YOU THINK I TOLD HIM TO CHECK FOR GOUGES IN THE RIM?

This can be a learning experience for you:
1. Read a post carefully before you try and refute it.
2. Make sure you actually know better than somebody before you try and pretend like you do.

The thread says Slight Wobbling at Medium Speeds

Imbalanced wheels do not wobble at minimum speeds unless the wheel disc is damaged.
And such a damage can surely be seen with the naked eyes.
so you can leave this possibility bro.
wheels imbalanced due to small weights do not affect the drive in medium speeds.
Even a tyre change can imbalance a wheel but cannot be noticed in minimum/medium speeds.
so we can ignore the possibility on wobbling due to slightly imbalanced wheel at medium speeds

Last edited:

Top Bottom