Skoda Rapid - Madhubala To Madhuri Dixit

Thread Starter #1
My Car Hunt:

I have had Indica Xeta 1.4 since 6 years till March 12 and it had served me well. During these years, the car was used only for 3 to 3.5 years as I had been onsite for different assignments. During the time when I was not driving, the car was in parking only. Slowly I started to settle down in India and took up a role which will not ask me to travel much abroad. Then it really started to pinch my pocket as my monthly travel used to be around 1500 to 2000 Kms per month depending upon the situations. Apart from this, I also used to travel by car to my hometown which is around 500 Kms one way from Pune and annually there are around 4 trips atleast. So decided that I will switch to Diesel in Sept – Nov 12.
But our dear ex finance minister (Now Mahamahim Rastrapatiji) had different plans. There were rumors that there will be a diesel surcharge of 80 K (which never happened) on diesel cars. This had really triggered my decision to look out for a diesel car as this either might push my decision by couple of quarters or I had to compromise on Diesel hatchback.

But I was very sure of 2 things

• The new car will be a sedan

• It will be a diesel with on road price 8-10 lacs

Till the time we made up our minds for this decision and completed our financial planning, it was 05 Mar 12. We needed to move fast but I was cool as I thought it was only one day job as again I was pretty sure of the car which I will upgrade to – “Nissan Sunny”. This was due to my love for Nissan as a brand after owning Nissan cars in US and also had read many positive reviews. The demo car on Hyderabad Airport also impressed me as it was the very spacious car with Nissan brand and looked like it is VFM.

So Heart was saying go to Oxford Nissan, give the booking amount and chill out. The car will be yours. But Mind said, waittttttttt…. Are you crazy. Do you want to spend 8 lacs for a car which you have not TDed. So to convince my mind, I decided to go for TD of Sunny and close the action point. Now the mistery unfolds. I called up the dealer for the TD, got very cold reply that the car is not available as there are too many TD requests today. Took my no. and said they will send the car for TD. No TD done till now and I gave up hope after doing 15+ calls just to take TD [frustration]. I felt that I cannot be Nissan customer in India. (I am still waiting for that TD car.)

Then next choices were Verna, Vento and Laura (though it would have stretched my budget). So started putting the TD request online as I dint had much time to personally go to showroom and book TD.

Surprise!!! [surprise]

First one to call back was Skoda.. Wow.. I asked for Laura TD and the lady on the other side asked for the budget etc etc. and said Rapid fits the bill. So booked the TD for Rapid and started doing analysis of Rapid. All reviews came good.

So decided that I will TD Rapid last. Then visited VW and Hyundai dealerships. Took the test ride. Avoided SX4 for my choice nothing against them.
Liked VW Vento for it’s simple design and felt great in the car. Verna interior were completely opposite to Vento. Very Happening and design was very curvy. It was like comparing Madhubala with Priyanka Chopra. Both are beauties but one timeless smile against the fashionable trend. I liked Madhubala but felt there is something missing. Then comes my “Madhuri Dixit” i.e. Rapid. Timeless smile , beauty and a little aggression of this generation. TDed the Rapid for 35+ Kms (you read it right). I never felt to let that steering go away from my hands like a small kid dont want to keep his favorite toy aside. We had the ride through most busy roads in Pune then we went to highway for a spin and back. The ride was great and it was first 5 mins of test ride which decided that we will go for this car. On 14 March, booked the car (Ambition) with booking amount. Processed loan and completed formalities. Did some bargain for the Insurance and opted for self insurance. I could save almost 13K by doing this.

The dealer promised to give the car in pre-budget price. I wanted to get the car delivery on "Gudhi Padwa" (10 days after booking the car). The sales guy said will try but dint promised as there was waiting for this car. Checked about availbality in other showroom and indeed there was waiting for this car. Next day again a surprise call from Skoda(Not the dealer). They asked if I booked the car. Answer was affirmative. Asked when I would like to get the delivery. Requested for "Gudhi Padwa" delivery. Again no promises but the lady on the other side said, she is putting the request.

Followed up with dealer and got the Rapid deliverd on the "Gudhi Padwa" day (Though, had to visit couple of times due to some last minute logistic hitches for the delivery. But can consider that considering the situation). We all were very happy and little sad on that day as during this time, we had to sell off my beloved old car. I wish, she gets the same or better treatment from her new owner.
Next to Follow – Post Delivery Report, Short Term Ownership review and Mileage tracker.

Thread Starter #5
Congrats .
I too am going to book one today .
But the petrol variant waiting period is around one and half month.
Hello Dr Niladri Saha,

Welcome to Skoda Rapid Family. Seems Rapid is getting popular very rapidly as when I booked my car, there was only 1 week waiting for Petrol version
Enjoy your ride with Rapid. Believe me, Rapid wont disaapoint you.

Drive Safe!

Congratulations Praf for your Rapid,

Wish you happy miles ahead with Skoda Rapid.[drive]

There is a show with the name Madhubala to Madhuri ,performed by various singers and dancers around country.
sometimes back in 2011, I have experienced the show at Ganesh kala Krida mach Pune.

but but but i have never expected this title for Rapid cleaver one .
Waiting for Pics

Thread Starter #9
Welcome to Club Skoda [lol]
Its been 2 weeks since I took delivery of my Rapid and I'm loving it more and more...
Hello adityajayant,
Thanks! I am sure your love with this car will only increase the more you drive it. It's amazing. Let's be in touch and help each other to get best out of this beauty called Rapid.

Thread Starter #11
Congratulations Praf for your Rapid,

Wish you happy miles ahead with Skoda Rapid.[drive]

There is a show with the name Madhubala to Madhuri ,performed by various singers and dancers around country.
sometimes back in 2011, I have experienced the show at Ganesh kala Krida mach Pune.

but but but i have never expected this title for Rapid cleaver one .
Waiting for Pics
Hello powerpacked
Thanks for good words. The title was because we shifted our decision from Vento (Madhubala) to Rapid (Madhuri Dixit).
We also have one more name to our car now..

It's "Nakchadhi". [;)]
You will realize this when you see Vento and Rapid from the front and both standing side by side.

Thread Starter #12
Thanks Marun, Superbad.

Pictures follow soon in a day or two. I am just trying to catch up with many things. Also need to take few snaps for posting on the forum and my madhuri dixit (Rapid) takes time for make up and photo shoot [;)]

Thread Starter #14
Hello Membes, here comes the post delivery, 7000 KMS ownership review and mileage tracker as promised in first post.

Post delivery of my car, it was time for accessories. Here again the Sales Executive helped. He referred me to one of the after market shop who would give me good deals with good quality. Before goin there did all market analysis and found this guy OK (would say not highly priced but charges premium for few parts). Fitted the car with sound system, tinted all the glass (yet to be cought by Police so continuing with it) and did the boady coat. Sound system config -
1. JVC 2 DIN HU with USB and Bluetooth compatible
2. Rockford Components in front
3. Rockford 3 way speakers in rear (Again cost cutting)
This configuration was enough for me to enjoy good music as of now. Will add the amp once I get some additional variable pay in my salary (IT guys might know this trick) Next planned things are to add the mats (continuing with Old mats from my Indica (Jugaad)- cost cutting frinds :)) , reverse parking sensor and seat covers in next month.
Then started my transformation from Petrol Hatchback to Diesel sedan. Wowww what an experience. The car is like point and shoot. The steering is great and breaking is as confident as it can be. During my first 1000 Kms drove the car through bumper to bumper traffic only. Could not help as I dint had any time for long drives. Post 1000 KMS we took this car on Pune - Satara Highway for Shri Balaji Darshan in Ketkawale. That is where I felt that this was something I was looking for. The car zoomed past every other car though I was not pushing the car hard. It was smooth sailing experience. We touched 140 KMPH and stayed there for a while and then drove around 100 KMPH for safety. (Though it is little higher but can consider it as safe on that road)
I used to travel a lot through city and city driving was something I really hated. Thanks to Rapid, now I do not hate it. Also, felt like that PMC worked overnight to improve the road quality but then realized it is my ride quality not the road. Also the car just helped me to keep my cool with silent (not soundproof) cabin. The gear shift is very smooth with small throw which helps a lot in city. Though the clutch could have been a little softer. This is one of the things that I would like Skoda to improve on. (Again this is personal wish).
Till now I clocked 7000 KMS with my rapid. Did some trial and error for getting best seating posture for best FE. Believe me it helpmed me to increase the FE by almost 2 KMs / Ltr. Following is the summary of my FE calculated with Full tank to full tank method.
1. First 1000 Kms in city traffic, 100% AC - 12.6 KMPL
2. Highway Drive, 100% AC - 22+ KMPL - Went to Kolhapur and Back. The fuel used for 500+ Kms is less than 20 Ltrs. Will post the picture of fuel indicator touching the half tank after 600 Kms. Is this a record for Rapid ???
3. City Traffic Post 1500 Kms in Odo - 13.5 KMPL - I think with time and with good driving practice this can go up to 15 KMPL.
4. Till now overall average FE is 14.36 KMPL. (Till 6800 Kms with 100% AC, 60% City and 40% Highway drive)
Overall satisfaction level with this car is 4.5 out of 5. I kept 0.5 for Audi Q7 (my next car if I could afford it any time)
During the ride, I found few things which really annoyed me. [frustration]
1. The headlights – These could have been better. With the original in stock, the light is not sufficient. Planning to upgrade to Philips Xtreme Lights (55/60)
2. Horn – Why did they changed the Skoda trademark horn. Again will change that to Hella horns in near future.
3. Driver side wiper cannot be folded – How can someone miss this point at Skoda Design center? No solution as of now or workaround. Living with it.
Apart from above, really satisfied and hope to get good after sales service. Will take my car to Asset service station for planned 7500 kms check up. Following are the things that I planned for this service
• Wheel Alignment and Balancing
• Engine oil top up
Guys any suggestions on this service cum check up that I should take care of apart from above 2 points. Do pour in your suggestions.

Next to come -->> Few Snaps of the beauty, Long drive experience (Race between beauty (Rapid) and beast (Safari)..

Top Bottom