Skoda Laura 2010 Purchase!

Thread Starter #1
Recently I sold my car, ever since been hunting for a diesel automatic. When I started my research, surprised to find that diesel automatic sedans start at 14 lacs and above. The options for 14+ were Hyundai Verna, Fluence, Cruze LTZ, Laura. Except verna all other cars on-road price is above 19 lacs, so I started looking for used cars.

Everyday I would wake up and head for carwale, to check if any one is selling a well maintained car. Finally I came across a car, its Skoda Laura Elegance 2.0 Diesel Automatic, oct 2010 model, done only 25,000 kms. First owner, driven by elderly person. Car is in excellent condition.

Now my dilemma is the seller asking 14lacs for it. It is still under warranty as its only 1.5 years old. I test drove the car and it drives awesome.

Can you guys suggest, if I should go ahead and buy this at the price quoted. I have tried negotiating with the seller but he is not willing to come down. I have also checked the carwale used car valuation, at 13.8 lacs.

Please help me make this decision!

Not sure, but i have seen the Automatics selling at a lower price. Maybe its due to the Bangalore city, the prices seem to be on a higher side.

Thats an awesome deal mate. Just a word of caution, Laura boasts of it's marvelous DSG gearbox, and it should boast of it. But, it's well known that DSGs, if fail can set you back by 3-4 lac. Also, Indian technicians are not trained to even open DSGs so an engineer is called from abroad. Not trying to play spoil-sport but just wanted you to know about this.

freakdude.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
you should get it thoroughly checked with the service center first[:)]

many companies offer these checkups in which they will tell you each and everything about the car. i mean what parts are replaced , if the car had a very bad accident or such things.

if not company , get it done by some other mechanic. just a normal checkup.

Well,I myself settled for a TSI after I took the feedback from hundreds of Laura owners and all of them had just one word to say "Good car and we are happy with it".
Although I myself have driven DSG for thousands of kilometers(My circle has seven Lauras and all the owners are happy due to which two more are about to come)but I am yet to hear of any complain regarding the DSG.

Rest about the price,no doubt its on the higher side,in my views nothing over 12.5 lacs,but if you can get it for at most 13-13.5 lacs then its okay.

For bringing down the price you can follow these techniques:-
1):Carry cash in hand and offer him 13 lacs on the spot.
2):Find out niggles in the car which are present nowhere like it has some problem at high speeds or it is doing some noise at 170 kph(I am sure the old owner hasn't done such speeds).
3):Every scratch or dent will help you.
4):Send two three guys once or twice to the owner and teach them thoroughly to strictly declare the car of 12 lacs and even bet with the owner if he can sell it for even 12.5 lacs.

These tricks may sound weird and wacko but using them I have broken many good deals.
Rest since the car is under warranty...this adds much to the joy of ownership..
Now go and crack the deal before someone else does it,these cars are a very rare find and sells out quite quickly.I am yet to find such a Laura for sale,hence this is a deal which deserves to go under the hammer.
A word of caution:Its still a Skoda,so you can't afford going wrong with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
Can you guys suggest, if I should go ahead and buy this at the price quoted. I have tried negotiating with the seller but he is not willing to come down. I have also checked the carwale used car valuation, at 13.8 lacs.
From the description, it seems to a nice deal. However, remember that it’s still a 2-Year-old car and expensive cars depreciate much quicker. So there’s a fair enough chance for bargaining. I would also recommend not falling on the apparent beauty but also get the car checked thoroughly for defects. Insist the owner for the service record that can be verified further with the service centers itself. Some of the tips suggested by Vipul would be useful while bargaining, also search around our forum for threads related to used car purchase (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pecting-second-hand-car-exhaustive-guide.html). Do keep us updated.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #9
vipul, he didn't fall for the tricks. He was not willing to negotiate price. So I have dropped the idea now :( Thank you all for your valuable feedback.

The result of wait is fruitful.Let it be.
I'd say buy a Laura only if you get any better deal but remember,a low mileage car means a car which has less worn.
And if you don't find any better deal then be patient,at the price the car is not going to find any taker easily.Why?Because 'Every person thinks that his car has highest resale value and the car of other person has the lowest'.Hence if luck favors you then you will get the same car in a month or two for 13 lacs.Why?
Because the car will be one more month older now,owner will use it slightly more and after a month he will also understand that his car's price is not that much as he was expecting.

For bringing down the price you can follow these techniques:-
1):Carry cash in hand and offer him 13 lacs on the spot.
2):Find out niggles in the car which are present nowhere like it has some problem at high speeds or it is doing some noise at 170 kph(I am sure the old owner hasn't done such speeds).
3):Every scratch or dent will help you.
4):Send two three guys once or twice to the owner and teach them thoroughly to strictly declare the car of 12 lacs and even bet with the owner if he can sell it for even 12.5 lacs.
[lol]4th trick is indeed a hilarious one. I watched this trick being played on old Amol Palekar in some movie (1970 movie). It is an old trick and I am 100% sure the owner would sense it and kick these 2-3 guys you are referring rather lowering prices.

Ya, paying cash at spot and offering would make a lot of difference.[:)]

@Shailinder:
Yes there was some pic in which Amol Palekar bought a Bullet for 300 Rs by falling prey to same trick.
BTW,I have used this trick 2-3 times and everytime it worked.

Actually there is a style of playing it:-
1):The guys must look like they can buy the car.
2):The guys must have some age too not any 18-19 years old boy.
3):The guys must look quite serious.
4):Most important:You must not send them one after one,but at a gap of at least a day or two.Never tell the owner that we have told them about the car,instead tell the name of the person who told us.

Top Bottom