Side Mirror Adjustment To Prevent Blind Spots

Hi everyone!!

Today morning while i was driving on a wide road, i had to change the lane to the right.The road was clear in the the right door mirror so i slowly started changing to the the right lane and suddenly a car gave me a long horn which was close to me but not visible in the centre or right mirror.If i turn the door mirror more towards the the right,i cant see my cars body in that mirror.So my question is what is the solution to make such blind areas visible?
If you adjust your right ORVM at any position, it will minimize the blind view.
Only thing is watching center inside mirror often you can. My car is HYUNDAI verna electonically foldable ORVM and i folded always. I am driving by watching IRVM. If i want, i will open ORVM . I have no issue till date.

If you adjust your right ORVM at any position, it will minimize the blind view.
Only thing is watching center inside mirror often you can. My car is HYUNDAI verna electonically foldable ORVM and i folded always. I am driving by watching IRVM. If i want, i will open ORVM . I have no issue till date.
That's not a correct advice. We should always have our ORVMs open atleast right side one.

About closed ORVM:-
Whenever I see a car with closed ORVM,I automatically guess thet there are 50% more chances that we can find a fool on the wheel and the person can any time swerve and come in my way and hence I blow horn at least once while overtaking such a car.

@Jalex:
BTW,how much useful is the IRVM in most of our cars?
I found IRVM useless in Innova and Laura and many more cars and hence now I have made a habit such that IRVM does not matter to me at all.

@Jalex:
I found IRVM useless in Innova and Laura and many more cars and hence now I have made a habit such that IRVM does not matter to me at all.
When I think of cars with bad or inadequate IRVM, The VW Polo is what comes to my mind. Its too small, My Alto has a better and more wider one than that. And I use all three. In fact I cant really drive a car without three mirrors.

Yes while parking you can tilt it even fully downwards.

I strongly advice you not to ride a bike without rear view mirrors. Its highly risky even taking your eyes just 2 seconds off the road. I myself have seen many minor accidents due to that and i have also averted some accidents!
100% true. But most of the youngsters are removing it so that, they will be able to do CUTS on the roads between vehicles. Some of the old ones are not bothered about that. They do not know the value of rear view mirror in bike. That too it should have both left and right.

@Jalex:
is that because of length of the vehicle? in that case why dont you guys try rear camera option?

From myside, I thought of sharing some info I have read.

How To Eliminate The Dreaded "Blind Spot"

A Canadian Direct Insurance Claim:
A Canadian Direct customer was driving southbound in the right lane and was wanting to turn left at the next intersection. There was a vehicle beside her and she waited to let it go past so she could move into the left lane. It went by and she checked back to see if any other vehicle was there. There wasn't and she started to change lanes.

The customer changed lanes and hit a car that appeared to come out of nowhere. There was no drinking & driving involved. Police were called to the scene and she is now suffering minor neck injuries. However, there was lots of damages to both vehicles.

Could This Accident Have Been Avoided?
Most people's reaction to reading the above claim is that the car in the left lane must have been in the Insured's blind spot, therefore it was an unavoidable accident. I believe that car crashes are not merely "accidents" - something unavoidable. I think that this, and most every collision, should not have occurred. Why? In this case, because I don't believe in "blind spots."

In fact, "blind spots" are a thing of the past! On any car or mini-van built in the last ten or twenty years (assuming it has a right side mirror, which everyone should have), the mirrors can be adjusted so there are no blind spots. How?

The first step is to adjust the rear-view mirror to do exactly that - give you a view directly to the rear. Position it so that it best covers your view straight out the rear window. Don't bother tilting it to one side or the other to assist with your view of traffic to either side of your car. That's what the side mirrors are for.

Next, lean your head until it almost touches the driver's side window. Then, adjust your left side mirrors so that you can just barely see the side of your car, and no more than that.

Lean your head to the right towards the middle of the car and adjust the right side mirror so that you can just barely see the right side of your car. You should NOT be able to see the side of your car when your head is perfectly upright. After all, why would you want to? When was the last time your own car ran into itself?

Check for blind spots by doing the following: While driving along a four-lane road in the right lane, note a vehicle in the left lane coming up to pass you from behind. Without moving your head, glance in the rear-view mirror and follow it as it approaches your car in the left lane. Just before it disappears from your view in the rear-view mirror, glance to the left side mirror. There it is. Now follow that vehicle in the side mirror as it begins to pass you. Then, just before it disappears from the side mirror, you should see it with your peripheral vision. Notice that without even turning your head, you never had a blind-spot. Then try it with the right side mirror. Watch as you pass a vehicle travelling in the right lane go from your peripheral vision, to your right side mirror, to your rear-view mirror. Again, no blind-spot. If there is a blind spot for even a fraction of a second, your side mirror adjustment needs some fine-tuning.

image001.gif

This procedure should be done every time you get into a car in which you have not adjusted the mirrors. It only takes seconds, and can make a big difference.
Far too many drivers do not use their side mirrors enough when changing lanes, instead relying on turning their heads and looking over their shoulder. The problem is as they are not set or adjusted properly - resulting in blind spots - the driver does not trust using the side mirrors. But, once they are adjusted properly, using them and trusting them to give you the information you require will become a habit.

With the mirrors adjusted properly, a shoulder check to change lanes becomes more of a "shoulder peek", meaning you don't have to turn your head so far. That means your peripheral vision will still provide a view in front of you - no "blind spot" in front of you either, meaning less chance of rear-ending a vehicle that has suddenly stopped.

As a side benefit, with the side mirrors tilted out farther, you will no longer have to worry about the bright lights of a vehicle behind you glaring in your eyes.
It may take a little while to feel comfortable with not being able to see the side of your own car in the side mirrors (if you really need to see it every now and then, just tilt your head a little!). Also, it may take a little time to stop relying on the side mirrors for looking to the rear. But once you get used to it, you'll love it. You'll feel much more confident and comfortable in traffic.
Another image set which clarifies this issue clearly.
ivrm-ivrm.jpg

Another reason I got from my neighbor friends (studying in college) is the bike mirrors are just to comb your hair or check your style. In normal run they hardly give you a correct rear view picture. He has shown me example that a rear view mirror of Splendor + and Bajaj discover are very less effective & to handle them with care in traffic is much more expensive.
Even about the mirrors I have seen it in my Fazer that atleast left side mirror is not getting adjusted properly. There are too many blind spots created when yo try to set any any of the method [anger]

Another reason I got from my neighbor friends (studying in college) is the bike mirrors are just to comb your hair or check your style. In normal run they hardly give you a correct rear view picture. He has shown me example that a rear view mirror of Splendor + and Bajaj discover are very less effective & to handle them with care in traffic is much more expensive.
Even about the mirrors I have seen it in my Fazer that atleast left side mirror is not getting adjusted properly. There are too many blind spots created when yo try to set any any of the method [anger]
Mahesh, if we properly adjust we can avoid blind spot and make use of it properly. And even if not (you have some limitations on bike mirrors) some thing is better than nothing na. I make use of them for right turns, before over taking, U Turns. I found it very useful. FYI, I have simple Bajaj CT 100. But sometimes I used to wonder when I see some modern bikes where the rear view miror is just for name sake. I am 100% sure there will not be any use of it.

I strongly suggest that Govt should make Rear View mirror is must as they did for light, helmet etc.

ORVMs for Vista and Manza are useless and create a huge blind spot. Even if we adjust fully outward you cannot see all vehicles behind/corner. Best is to put Blind spot mirrors.

But I am managing without that for a year now.

Mahesh, if we properly adjust we can avoid blind spot and make use of it properly. And even if not (you have some limitations on bike mirrors) some thing is better than nothing na. I make use of them for right turns, before over taking, U Turns. I found it very useful. FYI, I have simple Bajaj CT 100. But sometimes I used to wonder when I see some modern bikes where the rear view miror is just for name sake. I am 100% sure there will not be any use of it.

I strongly suggest that Govt should make Rear View mirror is must as they did for light, helmet etc.
Very much agreed. The main issue is however best you adjust the mirrors of Fazer / Beat (I am listing these examples since I own them) they are not too sufficient. I myself ride on my pure judgement but I know that can also be fatal at any given point. One can never know or judge pattern of we Indian drivers mentality[frustration].
Another reason especially on bike is our seating position is not constant. Depending on brakes / acceleration or turns we tend to tilt and the settings go in vain.

There should be a check from RTO on the mirrors attached if they are for name sake or they really serve the purpose.

Top Bottom