Should Insurance Be Purchased Immediately After Buying New Car?

Thread Starter #1
I am currently trying to purchase a new Maruti Baleno 2022 Sigma model.
I have paid Rs 5,000 as booking charges and the salesman has pressured me to pay another 10K for something he is calling invoice generation (was asking me to pay 50K-75K).

I am also financing my car through axis bank, they have provided me the terms and conditions and sanction letter, the bank manager has asked me to come to the branch on Friday to submit documents which I have already send him through Whatsapp.
Now the salesman is also saying that I should come to the showroom on Friday and he said that we can do the document collection there.

They are also pressuring me to buy Insurance through them but refuse to share any details of the insurance with me, only the basic details they are sharing.

I have decided to buy the insurance from policy bazar but I am worried that they will cause some issues if I do this.

Can I refuse to buy the insurance from them completely, bring the car home and then buy the insurance? or is it necessary to buy it first otherwise the car registration won't happen.

Also when should I do the pre delivery inspection of the car? before signing the loan terms or after?

The car is in stock, I have also selected a few accessories I want to add to it like floor mats and door cladding.

I am from Odisha if this matters.

Thanks for any help

350Z

Core Team
They are also pressuring me to buy Insurance through them but refuse to share any details of the insurance with me, only the basic details they are sharing.
Hi. Welcome to The Automotive India. The dealer can’t force you to buy insurance from them but unfortunately most of them do. You can warn him of terminating the deal and escalate this matter to Maruti Suzuki if required.

Can I refuse to buy the insurance from them completely, bring the car home and then buy the insurance? or is it necessary to buy it first otherwise the car registration won't happen.
You can’t legally drive the car on public roads without a valid insurance (atleast third-party).

Also when should I do the pre delivery inspection of the car? before signing the loan terms or after?
Perform the PDI once the car is allotted but before registration. Note its VIN and ensure the same unit is registered. Do read our New Car Pre-Delivery Inspection Guide.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom