Should I Replace Shocks On My Mitsubishi Cedia (2006)?

Thread Starter #1
Guys,
I have been discussing a few things off late about a Cedia that we had initially planned to sell off, but then when I was out in the market, I could not quite find a car that I really wanted to own, hence I have now got the registration renewed and am refurbishing my Cedia. I have got the timing belt and tension er replaced.

I have some clunking noise from the suspension (especially the rear one), there are no leaks on the shocks and the suspension bushings were already replaced. The noise was better but has not gone away completely. The car has done 150000 kms over 15 years and I expect it to last for another 5 years at least, after that it depends on the car killer policies of the government.

Would it be worth replacing all 4 shocks for better handling and ride, given that there are no obvious issues with the shocks except probably a harsh ride due to wear and tear. The tyre wear is normal as of now and no real issues while braking.

Given that over the next 5 years, I think I would be driving just about 40000kms at best, am in 2 minds whether to replace the shocks or not. There is also some money which I need to spend on an under body anti rust coat.

Any opinions will be helpful.

Would it be worth replacing all 4 shocks for better handling and ride, given that there are no obvious issues with the shocks except probably a harsh ride due to wear and tear. The tyre wear is normal as of now and no real issues while braking.

Given that over the next 5 years, I think I would be driving just about 40000kms at best, am in 2 minds whether to replace the shocks or not. There is also some money which I need to spend on an under body anti rust coat.

Any opinions will be helpful.
A Big YES.
Definitely get the shock-absorbers unit changed as you will still be driving the car for another 5years./40k km, that's a long duration and a Comfortable and Confident drive will still make you love your Cedia.
I am impressed with the way you have maintained and almost renewed your car, takes a lot of effort and love for the car.
please share with us the car pics.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for your response, the OEM shockers seem to be pretty expensive at around INR 25000 for all four or may be I have not found them at a reasonable dealer yet. I am thinking if I have to spend that amount of money, might be worth considering some aftermarket alternatives such as KYB etc, which result in even better ride/handling.

What would be a good fit, given that if I do spend on shockers, I will be driving a bit more enthusiastically than now.

Thread Starter #5
Guys, I have made some progress, revamped the whole rear suspension with new bushings and shocks, as the rear end had a lot of noise issues. I spent about 20k including parts and labor, got a RBI bush kit which was a tad expensive, but the quality seems to be very good compared to the locally manufactured ones we get. I had the scariest experience after the entire rear suspension was revamped, my car handled like a boat.
I was literally in shock, one of the best handling cars ever sold in India, with the underpinnings of the legendary Evo was swaying from side to side at 50 kmph.I thought it there was something wrong with the new shocks or there was something loose. Thankfully, it just turned out to be the rear wheel alignment which was badly out, the camber was set incorrectly.

Here are my leanings which may be helpful for others.

1.Mitsubishi Lancer and Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia DO NOT HAVE THE SAME REAR SUSPENSION bushings OR SHOCKS, many mechanics thing they are same. No they are not.
2. If your car has aged, never replace only a few bushings, replace them all along with shocks. You will save a lot on labor.
3.Get a bushing kit of good quality, cheaper ones might be luring but if they dont last, the labor costs will be high to do the rear independent suspension work all over again.
4. Always get the rear wheels balanced and aligned after the job is complete.

I am looking to experience the thrills of a drivers car on a budget, the next thing is the front shocks, which I may replace in a couple of months as I have already spent some money.

Cheers!

Guys, I have made some progress, revamped the whole rear suspension with new bushings and shocks, as the rear end had a lot of noise issues. I spent about 20k including parts and labor, got a RBI bush kit which was a tad expensive, but the quality seems to be very good compared to the locally manufactured ones we get. I had the scariest experience after the entire rear suspension was revamped, my car handled like a boat.
I was literally in shock, one of the best handling cars ever sold in India, with the underpinnings of the legendary Evo was swaying from side to side at 50 kmph.I thought it there was something wrong with the new shocks or there was something loose. Thankfully, it just turned out to be the rear wheel alignment which was badly out, the camber was set incorrectly.

Here are my leanings which may be helpful for others.

1.Mitsubishi Lancer and Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia DO NOT HAVE THE SAME REAR SUSPENSION bushings OR SHOCKS, many mechanics thing they are same. No they are not.
2. If your car has aged, never replace only a few bushings, replace them all along with shocks. You will save a lot on labor.
3.Get a bushing kit of good quality, cheaper ones might be luring but if they dont last, the labor costs will be high to do the rear independent suspension work all over again.
4. Always get the rear wheels balanced and aligned after the job is complete.

I am looking to experience the thrills of a drivers car on a budget, the next thing is the front shocks, which I may replace in a couple of months as I have already spent some money.

Cheers!
Hey buddy I wanted to know are the springs (not shocks the same on cedia and lancer 2005 and 2007 respectively

Top Bottom