Should Airbags and ABS Be Mandatory?

Should ABS & Airbags Be Made Manadatory in All Cars?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
We were discussing the same topic in another thread. So I thought it will be a good idea to have a separate topic for this discussion. Do you think that safety features like ABS and Airbags should be compulsory on all the cars that sell in India? It’ll obviously shoot up the production cost of the vehicles to a certain extent. Would you be ready to spend those bucks on useful safety features over rest of the basic luxury features in a car?

Drive Safe,
350Z

I feel yes, this should be made mandatory.
Actually, we Indian currently don't value the life, as much as in eastern world, due to various issues.

But this will certainly make the cars bit expensive, which neither consumer, government or manufacturers are interested.

Practically, its not possible. It will shoot up the price of the car. To compensate price, manufacturers
will work hard to reduce costs and may have an impact on quality. Life is important, but only a few of the millions of people will accept this extra cost. IMO ABS can be made compulsary, as we can make use of it everyday on the road and will help avoiding accidents.

Rather than mandatory , every model must have this as a varient.

As it may shoot up the prices ,(Just the airbag cost 1L in wagon r unit and around 2L in a innova. the insurance do not cover them up too-refer accident of friends innova in accident thread. )

The thing must be like even in a nano , a airbag version must be supplied

Well it will be nice if it is made mandatory but as others said its quite impossible!!

Now we are living in a time when all the manufacturers in India are trying to provide small and cheap cars with the best possible quality!

But atleast ABS can be made mandatory along with Fog lamps!! Both will assist us in our daily driving!

My Safari and Verna doesn have both and worse is Verna doesn have air bags even in top-end model!!

When i was purchasing Scorpio , I had asked the Salesperson there regarding Air Bag for scorpio even after investing 12 lakh for this car.
His answer was [gun]"Sir Scorpio has crumple zones and it can withstand crashes,No need of Air bag".

His answer was [gun]"Sir Scorpio has crumple zones and it can withstand crashes,No need of Air bag".
Thats a real headbanging[frustration] reply. I dont know who appoint these guys without any knowledge of automobiles.[anger].
Someday we will hear from a salesman- "sir alloy wheels are used in vehicles so that we can clean the wheel drums and discs well with our hands "

Though Airbags are costly but its useful in saving our valuable lives, ABS is must in today's roads where normal road speed limit is increasing.
Life is precious and one should not neglect any hazards for it in my opinion

Last edited:
yes it will make people realize the thing called safety and costly cars and safe will also cause less traffic = is less jams = less pollution = less road accidents!! [;)]

When i was purchasing Scorpio , I had asked the Salesperson there regarding Air Bag for scorpio even after investing 12 lakh for this car.
WOW !!! That is really funny!

I strongly feel that our Govt. should make seat belt, ABS and Airbag as mandatory. They should also strictly enforce child seat and by law should ban kids sitting in the front seats. [thumbsup]

WOW !!! That is really funny!

I strongly feel that our Govt. should make seat belt, ABS and Airbag as mandatory. They should also strictly enforce child seat and by law should ban kids sitting in the front seats. [thumbsup]
Yes shynish indeed it was funny to me , The way he replied.
-----------Next Post-----------
Thats a real headbanging[frustration] reply. I dont know who appoint these guys without any knowledge of automobiles.[anger].
Someday we will hear from a salesman- "sir alloy wheels are used in vehicles so that we can clean the wheel drums and discs well with our hands "

Though Airbags are costly but its useful in saving our valuable lives, ABS is must in today's roads where normal road speed limit is increasing.
Life is precious and one should not neglect any hazards for it in my opinion
Yes AHI, some how after these complaints from customers M&M came to know Air bag is required for Scorpio.

Last edited:
i would go for a car with airbags only if i get insurance coverage for that. i think it's so in all countries that have made it mandatory.

Top Bottom