Should Airbags and ABS Be Mandatory?

Should ABS & Airbags Be Made Manadatory in All Cars?

• Total voters
ABS and Airbags should be standard in all cars. Do you agree ?

What about making ABS and Airbags standard for all cars ?
In my opinion every car's base variant itself should be loaded with ABS, airbags and three point seatbelts with pre-tensioners. Airbags for passenger safety and ABS for pedestrian safety altleast. [thinking]
IMO Safety must be the first thing to concern. what do you people think ?

Re: ABS and Airbags should be standard in all cars. Do you agree ?

Yes i agree with this. Govt. should change the law and make these are mandatory for all vehicles (like USA). Also if the manufactures stop the models without ABS and Airbags, then automatically people will buy the cars with safety system. At least we can save some lives in head to head collision. Again i want to make crash test also mandatory for all vehicles.
What do you think?.

Thread Starter #33

350Z

Core Team
Re: Should Airbags and ABS Be Made Mandatory?

Note: Threads Merged.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I think ABS is a must for not only cars, but for all vehicles Especially for Bikes,( even it is a moped too). If it was mandatory for vehicles from 5 years before, then i was sure around half of accident death count was reduced in India.Around two years before,Motor vehicles department(Kerala) came with new law that ABS is must for new heavy vehicles. But i don't know what happened to the law, none of the LCV/HCVs are still equipped with ABS than Volvo.

Voted Yes,
I think both the options ABS & Airbags should be mandatory on all the cars even in the base models. Most of us would have never been to the situation where we might need airbag but you never know when you require it.
FYI...Even if your car is equipped with airbags but if you are not wearing the seat belts at the time of a major accident then Airbags will never diploy. I am sure that 90% of the car owners are not aware of this fact.

One of my uncle was travelling from Chattishgarh to Jharkand and his car met with an accident and it got toppled. ABS and Airbag saved the life of uncle and aunt at front seat. At passenger seat kids fastened the seat belts so that saved them. With help of villagers they turned the car and continued the journey.

Just imagine if there were no AIRBAG then it may have caused injury to him in a area where in proximity no good hospital. I believe there should be a norm about AirBag and ABS and it's okay to compromise on Music System and posh dashboard or other cosmetic stuffs.

Safety should not be optional by any mean.

Last edited:
Voted Yes,
I think both the options ABS & Airbags should be mandatory on all the cars even in the base models. Most of us would have never been to the situation where we might need airbag but you never know when you require it.
FYI...Even if your car is equipped with airbags but if you are not wearing the seat belts at the time of a major accident then Airbags will never diploy. I am sure that 90% of the car owners are not aware of this fact.
I thought this was only in some cars. Are you sure its in all(Swift, Polo etc)?

I voted No.! In my opinion Indian cars/Vehicles should have ABS as Mandatory and not the Airbags atleast untill the Indian roads are regulated properly.

Almost most all of the Indian vehicles get hit in traffic congestions because of the below reasons,

- Lack of proper parking place for all four wheels.
- Wreck less drivers(Not just the 4 wheelers, we should also include bikers here)
- People who never wanted to maintain a proper distance between vehicles in draffic.
- People who don't even have Lane sense while driving on road.
- Lethargic and Idiotic pedestrians.

If airbag is engaged becuase of any above reason then that would be the pain for vehicle owners each time. All these we consider only when cars/Vehicles drove under traffic conditions.

Government should make very strict formality to issue driving license curbing the bribe. This would definetely bring in a good driver on road which will improve over all safety on road.

"People who involve most of the driving in highways should make sure that they have Airbags and ABS EBD equipped in their vehicles for safety".

I have voted NO, as the same reasons mentioned by Mr.Ramesh above. Yes ABS is must, but Airbags I am not very much convinced on this due to the current driving & roads situations in India !!

I have voted against it for following reasons,
It's the car manufacture's fault (crime in true words), it's the money spinning attitude. They provide not so important comfort features (powerwindows, electrical mirrors, ice remote lock etc) in mid varient s at buyers cost. They provide safety features (abs airbags) only in top end (costlier than mid) models thus they compel the safety concerned buyer to purchase the comfort features , even if he is intrested only in safety features.(if you want life and limb safe)

Also they disallow the low end (devoid of safety and many comfort features) varient to upgrade with abs airbags. If kaput air bag of a bad accident car can be replaced by the service centre , then why the hell a brand new low end varient car is not upgradable?

Policy makers are just watching on the dirty bussiness, not bothered for life and limb of major segment of tax payers (car buyers)

If seat belts, head lamp adjusment device is compulsory even in low end varient, [rules]why airbags abs are not compulsory in a mid varient in lieu of comfort features?[gun]

IMO airbags and ABS should be made available as optional safty accsesories across all varients including base varient right from nano to bentley by law. Owner should be allowed to choose no. of PAB as per his financial condition at various stages.

Life is the cheap and cheapest thing in our country . The population is already exploded.We car buyers pay so many types of taxes (income, vat, exise prof....)including car regn. and tolls on the basis of which the the nation building ( roads, railways, bridges, midday meals ...)takes place. But the rulers know that the car buyers are the people who think and then vote. And they don't want such type of voters ,hence they are least bothered about our safty becoz they know if one tax paying car traveler dies
he will be replaced by some body else , such is the growth of population . So the rulers keep on pampering the pathetic attitude of automakers towards common car buyer's safty.
It is high time that car buyers should for a pressure group.
And I am sad to find that we are discussing this in a country where even head restraints are not coumpulsory OE fitments.

I voted No.!

- Lack of proper parking place for all four wheels.
- Wreck less drivers(Not just the 4 wheelers, we should also include bikers here)
- People who never wanted to maintain a proper distance between vehicles in draffic.
- People who don't even have Lane sense while driving on road.
- Lethargic and Idiotic pedestrians.

If airbag is engaged becuase of any above reason then that would be the pain for vehicle owners each time.

"People who involve most of the driving in highways should make sure that they have Airbags and ABS EBD equipped in their vehicles for safety".
It is unlikely and hypothetical for airbags to go operational for reason mentioned above in city and if in case of accident if they go operational what pain and what is the problem?Still If you are worried about it you can use the air bag on off button before you take off.

And who told you that cars plying on city roads doesn't ply on highways.and vice versa?

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom