Short Trip from Bangalore To Chennai

Thread Starter #16
Just an update as I traveled to Chennai and back to Bangalore last weekend.

I took Whitefield - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Ambur - Vellore - Poonamalle - Guindy - Adayar.

Hosur is filled with trucks as usual, need to drive carefully, until you cross Hosur.

Hosur - Krishnagiri is breeze, though some road widening work is going on.

Krishnagiri to Vellore - Road works are going on, you need to take lot of deviations, but well marked.

Vellore to Poonamalle - Relatively less traffic during early hours and no deviations. Roads are good, but not the best.

Poonamalle to Guindy - We need to pass through narrow roads in between Porur, St Thomas mount.
Metro work is happening in Chennai, loads of oneway and traffic clogging.

While returning took the same route. But Krishnagiri to Hosur was hell. It was filled with slow moving trucks in both lane, and people driving so mad, overtaking on extreme left.

Just an update as I traveled to Chennai and back to Bangalore last weekend.

I took Whitefield - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Ambur - Vellore - Poonamalle - Guindy - Adayar.
From Whitefield you can take the Varthur-Sarjapur-Attebele route and reach Hosur in around 30 minutes time. Less traffic and the ride will also be smooth

Thread Starter #18
From Whitefield you can take the Varthur-Sarjapur-Attebele route and reach Hosur in around 30 minutes time. Less traffic and the ride will also be smooth
Thanks Parthi. I always take route. It is the shortest and no traffic on early hours. It seems they removed lot of speed breakers too in between.

Thread Starter #19
I may goto Chennai this week too. Planning to try a different route this time. Any suggestion for the below route?

Whitefield - Channasandra - Malur - Venatagirikota - Pallikonda - Vellore - and then the usual way.

Any precaution to be taken for this route?

Hey Ram !!

Nice to know this, if you are there in Chennai on 21st evening, then join us for a mini chennai meet(unplanned) to kill sometime about automobiles [:)]

Hi Friends,
I'm planning a short trip to Chennai tomorrow. Planning to start early morning tomorrow from Whitefield, Bangalore. I am going to Saidapet to meet my father and a person. I'm planning to return on same day.
Trip is 80% solo unless my wife decides to join me later. Planning to do GQ route. Any suggestions? I'm taking my Accent and it will be first time on this route.
Hi Raam,
Thanks for reminding me about whitefield bangalore. I was in LnT infotech whitefield bangalore for 3 years. I have been to chennai from bangalore via Car. you can use the hausur root. Whole road is very good. I dont see much planning is required. :)

Thread Starter #22
Hey Ram !!

Nice to know this, if you are there in Chennai on 21st evening, then join us for a mini chennai meet(unplanned) to kill sometime about automobiles [:)]
I wish, I was there on Friday, but I am starting only on Sunday early morning. If my plan changes, I will let you guys know about it and will definitely hangout with team.

Hi Raam,
Thanks for reminding me about whitefield bangalore. I was in LnT infotech whitefield bangalore for 3 years. I have been to chennai from bangalore via Car. you can use the hausur root. Whole road is very good. I dont see much planning is required. :)
Thanks buddy. I takes Hosur route regularly, want a small change, so planning this route. I know L&T office in Whitefield, it is pretty and big. Any plans to visit Bangalore again?

Chennai to Bangalore via Vellore, Krishangiri is good with lot of diversions due to road extension.

In few stretches the roads are filled with patches, but we can manage some.decent speed on those roads.

Thread Starter #25
Loads of road widening happening in the Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Chennai stretch. But diversions are well marked. Beware of long queues on tolls while returning back to Bangalore on Sunday nights.

If you are close to OMR, you can take Hoskote - Mulbagal - Kolar - Palmaner - Gudiyattam _ vellore and continue to Chennai.

If you need scenic and less traffic try out Bangarpet - Venkatagirikota (V.Kota) way.

Sorry for my first post being a question ! Never wanted that to happen.

I am traveling with my wife to Chennai - Saidapet (first time - Last i travelled to chennai was in 2004 for h1b visa by train) tomorrow morning around 4-5AM. So, i do not have basically no clue on road (apart from google maps/sygic map on my phone).

After reading the forum, confused about the authenticity of these maps (old info do not get updated that fast in sygic/mapmyindia maps).

Starting from Banshankari 3rd stage (PESIT, near Nayandahalli,). Take 45 Minutes to 1 hour to reach Electronic city. So, would love to get few tips from those who know this route. (Silkboard to Chennai-Saidapet (Lemon tree hotel))

I need big roads :) ! Last trip was to ooty. Did not take hairpin bends. Took the Gudalur route as I am not an expert on Indian road. I get mad when i get continuous honking.

Please help me with the best 'wider' route. I may prefer outer road till silkboard than NICE ROAD as it may not make much difference than paying around 150 rs. I do not have a problem going thru toll road once i start from silkboard.

My only consideration is wider road and safety. Please share some ideas :)

Thanks,
appus

Came back on Wednesday evening. Unfortunately, missed the left at krishnagiri and went around 15km further on salem road. Came back in 10 minutes and joined the original road.

Road condition. Still good .. But with lots of diversions. Even diversions are decent enough and not confusing at all.

Not worth toll of around 340 rs or so (silkboard to chennai) . Total of around 700 rs on toll (up and down).

I feel the toll would be between 150 to 200 rs as this is a main road with lots of vehicles compared to NICE road etc.

If you are using maps on your android/iphone etc, please do not trust it completely. Sygic maps were giving hell lot of problem while coming back. was asking to take a longer route with 'narrow roads'. Google maps are updated with latest map (metro work diversion is updated).

If you are printing maps, add multiple destinations to make it simple.

Like, Shoolagiri (A2B), Krishnagiri, Vellur, Ambur etc etc. Even if you miss one point, you can start your navigation from the next.

If you are traveling day time, use sunscreen or use full sleeve . My right hand is now 'Black n White' .

Thank You

Thread Starter #28
I am driving to Chennai tomorrow from Bangalore and planning to return on same day. How is the present road condition? I need to be there by 9AM, so will be starting little earlier.

A little update from my side.
I travelled twice in last month to Chennai on my car and 6 times by KSRTC.Traffic on hosur road is maddening, especially evening time. While returning from Chennai, everytime I got the bus got stuck there. And then on my last travel from Chennai to Bangalore, I asked at ticket counter at Chennai that give me ticket for a bus which wont be going via Hosur.
I took Kolar Vellore route to Chennai when I went by my car. I simply took it because my GPS device suggested me to take this route. When I drove to Chennai for the first time, I started at 2330 hrs. i wanted to drive at 80 kmph and reach at relaxed pace. I was outside Chennai at 0330 hrs. We stopped at CCD to kill time, as I was supposed to reach hotel at 0630 hrs. I drove much slower. But since there was no traffic, we reached 0500 hrs. What I want to say is, start very early. Take any route and reach Chennai before its mad traffic comes to its peak. And leave at around 6 pm from Chennai. It will take time for you to get out of Chennai. And by the time you reach Bangalore, traffic would have died out here too. I started at same time and reached home at about 1 am.
I will be travelling to Vellore next week with family.
Safe journey rekharam.

Top Bottom