Shifting From 55/60 To 100/90 Watt Headlamp Bulbs

deville_56

Honoured Member
Hey guys. Long time no post from me though I was visiting regularly.

A month ago, I upgraded to 100/90 bulbs for my Indica DLS. The previous 55/65 bulbs were adequate on roads with poor/ no lights but on highways even speeds of 60kmph were scary, what with HID and projector equipped cars zooming past. Things have not changed drastically and there is still much more room for improvement in visibility on highways.

I had not fitted a wiring kit for the new bulbs. Just upgraded the fuse to 30amps as Indica has relays under the dashboard and they seemed good enuf to handle the power drain (low cost). Now I plan to have 2 extra H4 reflectors with say my old 55/65 bulbs in it or may be 100/90 ones later to do duties on those special highway journeys. I want to knw if I shud go for a new wiring kit or just upgrade the fuse and relay (lower cost again) for the new configuration. Can anyone help me with a proper wiring diagram so I knw what the mechanic is doing is good for the car? Though I wud like HID kind of light, I am somehow not able to convince myself to buy those as not really sure of certainthings with HIDs. SO regular bulbs for now. Thanks in advance.
It's the holder that is gonna blow first, stock fuse will work fine. I got 100/90 on Estilo with no mods. Stock holder melted, but slowly [evil] Still running on stock setup, no upgraded wiring kit, just changed the burnt holder with ceramic ones. Planning for the kit for some time, vitamin M deficiency [:D]

It's the holder that is gonna blow first, stock fuse will work fine. I got 100/90 on Estilo with no mods. Stock holder melted, but slowly [evil] Still running on stock setup, no upgraded wiring kit, just changed the burnt holder with ceramic ones. Planning for the kit for some time, vitamin M deficiency [:D]
Vit M....huh....me too. I had to change the plastic holders long back as thet were melting and the wiring was coming off it even on stock bulbs. Got ceramic ones for Rs. 40 each and very happy.

Hi, I am not sure if my query belongs to this thread but its related.
My Maruti 800(Type 2, 1998 Model) is runninv on stock headlamps but the throw and intensity is not adequete for night drives. I have two options with me
1. Upgrade to 90/100 W bulbs
2. Fit Aux lamps on bull bar
Both options only for better night visibility.
Which one to go for?
If I go for option 1, I will need new wiring harness, etc..
But what all will I need if I go for option 2?

For option 1:You can fit 100/90 bulbs by using relays and wiring kits.Just make sure the bulb holders are made of Bakelite(chinni matti).Stay away from the PMP brand, rest like Bosch, Hella,Philips are all good.

For option 2:You can fix fog lamps on the front bumper since the fog lamps come with mounting brackets.No need for a bull bar.Try to get fog lamps with metal body and glass lens so you can use 100w bulbs with it.Try Neolite fog lamps.For 100w bulbs you need to go with a relay for the the fog lamps as well.

Headlamps are the major source of light so upgrading them should be the priority.If you feel that 100/90 is not enough you can go for fog lamps.

Just make sure you get yellow bulbs for both the headlamps and the fog lamps.White light is not good in the rain.

^^Thank You for the prompt reply[:)]
The shop I went to Yesterday for changing my wiper blades told me there's no need of relay or wiring when upgrading to 100/90 bulbs to which I felt he don't have any idea about the work and just doing his business. Will try to stay clear from him[;)]

deville_56

Honoured Member
^^Thank You for the prompt reply[:)]
The shop I went to Yesterday for changing my wiper blades told me there's no need of relay or wiring when upgrading to 100/90 bulbs to which I felt he don't have any idea about the work and just doing his business. Will try to stay clear from him[;)]
Forget such morons, get yourself a wiring kit, 5 min DIY job. Full plug and play.

Hmmm. I am a big zero in Electricals, no idea how to plug.
Will order a Hella Wiring harness from ebay. Price INR890.
Will need some guidance from you guys. Hope there will be no strain on the battery.

Thread Starter #38
My experience in light upgrades.

Head lamp upgrade will work only if the reflector is good. e.g. in case of i10 the reflector is very poor. even after upgrading to 90/100 the the difference was minimal. Only the heat levels increased.

However the ceramic holders, wiring harness and a good relay helps a lot. Do not put in the high wattage bulbs without a relay. Also be ready to get your plastic headlamp housing and reflectors darkened after few months of usage.

I have upgraded my Estilo headlamps to Hella 120/110 4400K and park lamps to White LED's have fitted the relay also (Local made) Paid Rs. 650 for the bulbs and Rs.850 for the relay including fitting. The color temperature is good, white light is treat to eyes, you will feel relaxed after switching on the headlamps. The throw is better than the stock but not up to my expectations, headlamp gets heated up excessively will wit and see what's going to happen to my reflectors and lenses. I have bought Neolites also with 100 W white bulbs but yet to find a good mechanic who can fabricate and fit me the clamps. [cry]

Attachments

Hmmm. I am a big zero in Electricals, no idea how to plug.
Will order a Hella Wiring harness from ebay. Price INR890.
Will need some guidance from you guys. Hope there will be no strain on the battery.
That shop will surely have a lot of complaints from angry owners.Without a wiring kit and a relay the electricals will be overloaded.The Bakelite(chinni matti) holders are a must since normal plastic ones will melt.

You can get all these parts at a local car parts shop.As Deville_56 has said it is an easy job.Alternatively you can get the job done at a car auto electrical shop.

Try Ebay only if the parts are not available locally.

That shop will surely have a lot of complaints from angry owners.Without a wiring kit and a relay the electricals will be overloaded.The Bakelite(chinni matti) holders are a must since normal plastic ones will melt.

You can get all these parts at a local car parts shop.As Deville_56 has said it is an easy job.Alternatively you can get the job done at a car auto electrical shop.

Try Ebay only if the parts are not available locally.
Thanks for the solution bro. will buy wiring harness, Bakelite holders and bulbs online and try it myself[:)]

deville_56

Honoured Member
Sure bro[:)]
One question though, are ceramic holders available online? A quick search didn't revealed much for me.
Healight wiring kit contains everything, cermaic holder, relay. high-guage wire, fuses, connectors, plug, fire-resistant sleeve, etc. All you gotta buy is a pair of bulb and the kit [:)]

Try to go for a reputed company like philips,bosch,hella or roots.For the relay you can go for the same companies, just stay away from PMP.

For bulbs, I have been using Philips rally for ages now.

Top Bottom