Sedans v/s SUVs - Your Personal Pick?

Sedan or SUV

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The BIG Debate: Sedans v/s SUVs

Lol, but I bet you won't feel this while driving on good roads....Pune-Mumbai, Pune-Aurangabad, Mumbai-Goa, Baroda-Bharuch etc.
SClass, always one wont drive on GQ's.
More over the roads which i drive have lots of potholes, bad roads, no roads. My common drives will be to my native mangalore , which passes through a place called Shiradi Ghat, where the roads deteriorate so often.

There is a thread on other forum , which calls it as art of driving on that road....
But i simply don't change my route just for the sake of roads going bad, instead travel on those roads.
Its on these roads i feel have an advantage over sedans.

With family members on board, i dont want to do 140-150 kmph, would you?

Yes i have driven for more than 21 hours in my Scorpio, Bangalore-Shirdi.
And none of the members felt strained.
Nor the driver(Myself).

Thread Starter #47

And a Sedan will be fully submerged in the water,whereas SUV will atleast do its best coming out.
Yes, issue is what makes things like Scorpio a SUV ?
Did I gave eg. of 3 ft water for sedans ?? People don't drive them in such areas at first place. This was just to state that scorpio type of vehicles are UVs & not SUVs.

I don't know why people say that SUV should/can carry more people. We have Vans for that..

Both sedans and SUVs are meant for only 4 adults. That is why we have an arm rest in the center of the the back seat.

Try sitting in the middle of the rear seat in a sedan for a long drive... it is uncomfortable even in a high end car, as the seats are designed for 2. Else, sit in the 3rd row of any SUV for a long journey and see for yourself the discomfort you feel when you travel over bad roads.
Bang on target. This is what I trying to say. And after such statements, if I say it to be PEOPLE/MASS MOVER, UV fans get upset !!

no idea about scorpio but put safari in 3Ft water it will come out in 4L like there was nothing . i am telling because what i have seen infront my eye's . Safari is very capable off-roader so as scorpio except few electronic issue .
For how long it can travel in 3ft water ?
Fact is the design of safari or scorpio hasn't been made keeping this in mind. For a vehicle to be qualified as SUV, this has to be met, else it is MUV.

This straight lift off from Wikipedia defines an SUV pretty well.

A sport utility vehicle (SUV) is a generic marketing term for a vehicle similar to a station wagon, but built on a light-truck chassis.

And why some people get angry then when I say UVs are nothing but roof & seats on a truck ? [confused]

wonderful [clap] Salute scorpio now where is S Class
I am here buddy. My friend drove through water in his Ritz, & thankfully, water didn't get into his exhaust (driving on high rpm on 1st gear). So ? Salute Ritz too ??

Thread Starter #48

I think somebody should help me understanding Suv and Muv.Wikipedia quote by mastersquall is just too crude.

as per my understanding goes...

Innova is MUV,as well as bolero (but company states it as Suv)
+1.

Mahindra Thar is a definite SUV.
Hmm, poor mans SUV coz it doesn't come with simple thing like down-hill assist, nor are there any safety features present. Thar to me is upgraded Classic. thar doesn't come with a roof !! Needs to be bought at additional cost [lol].

Safari,scorpio,aria,endeavour etc are MUV they dont click the Sport features anywhere which Manufacturers and owners are imposing.
These cars can neither be used for rough use nor for enthusiast purpose. they best fit for daily commutation on uneven tarmacs.
The bottom pic, what will you call it? when it come to scorpio it is just additional hood and seat does that justify it as a true SUV?
:agree:Agree completely here. This is why I was saying that companies say SUV even to MUV so as to attract more buyers & sell at premium, a not so premium product.

I believe SUV should have a precise suspensions,great handelling, tough built with safety concern.
"Sports" means fun with safety, not any passenger vehicle.
what we find on our roads are breed of everything in VFM package. no I cannot call them an SUV.

Mahindra Thar scores very well at least for extreme Off roading. it sure does tick almost everything to be sports utility truck.
Safari,Fortuner etc if taken for serious ride they will sure fall apart miserably.
Again +1 to this.

SClass, always one wont drive on GQ's.
More over the roads which i drive have lots of potholes, bad roads, no roads. My common drives will be to my native mangalore , which passes through a place called Shiradi Ghat, where the roads deteriorate so often.
This is what I was looking in reply. NEED due to bad roads. These are more of IMPOSED decisions.
Now, imagine 6 lane good road, will it be UV or sedan ??

Its on these roads i feel have an advantage over sedans.
Agree. No doubt about this.

With family members on board, i dont want to do 140-150 kmph, would you?
I have done that. But then, I had full confidence in car & the road. If either of the 2 had been bad, I would not have hit even 100 kmph.

Yes i have driven for more than 21 hours in my Scorpio, Bangalore-Shirdi.
And none of the members felt strained.
Our story of Nagpur-Pune is altogether different. My relative (sitting in 2nd row) had to use heating pads for back the other day....this was in a scorpio [frustration].

Nor the driver(Myself).
Haha...liked this.

Did I gave eg. of 3 ft water for sedans ??
Ding ding ding ding ding you made a right point there,but be sure that you had started the thread to compare between a Sedan and an SUV.

People don't drive them in such areas at first place. .
What if they accidentally drive into?(especially at night times unknowingly),you have no chance!,but in case of SUV? It will wriggle out somehow.

This is what I was looking in reply. NEED due to bad roads. These are more of IMPOSED decisions.
Now, imagine 6 lane good road, will it be UV or sedan ??
Again i prefer SUV's buddy....

Our story of Nagpur-Pune is altogether different. My relative (sitting in 2nd row) had to use heating pads for back the other day....this was in a scorpio [frustration].
Buddy its not clear which Scorpio, you are talking about, 2.6 or 2.2?
There is humognous difference in these 2.
You have not made clear on this, the other day you said Scorpio's brakes are hopeless.
But it's not so , it stops very well 100-0 in few seconds.
What so ever , every one likes to travel in Scorpio in my family.

I have been following this thread for quite sometime and I mentioned the differences in a Sedan and SUV, since I have owned both. However, following my post, I noticed, one specific gentleman's statements quite baseless.

No offence to you S Class, but since you said a lot of things bluntly, I took some time off, to know your history on this forum and read all your posts. I found there have been a 'negative' approach and unappropriate statements made by you, not just on this thread.

I'll begin with this thread and the following is your opening post. I dint pay much attention to it, but after reading some of your posts, your opening post itself is unorganized and biased.

Good for bullying smaller vehicles like rickshaws....some people buy for this reason

You are a type of person who likes to shout that you have arrived, no matter whether others are interested in knowing about it or not
Firstly, you should have taken some time, to prepare your opening post. You start with positive's of a sedan and there is no negatives mentioned. Secondly, you mix positives and negatives for an SUV.

Besides this, I have found that ladies prefer cars as they look neat. Also, ingress & egress from car is far more comfortable than UVs. In cases like Santa Fe, one literally has to jump from the seat to get down . This is bad for ladies too.
What? So, you want to buy a Sedan to impress some girl? Yeah, some blondie's might fall for it and have a good time, but you're the one who is going to drive the car and manage the expenses. So, owning a sedan is going to cost you more than buying one and more over, make you feel like a chauffeur and not an owner.

Read this : my mother and wife, have enjoyed travelling more in my Scorp than in the Accent.

Personally, I prefer sedans/saloons. Ever seen James Bond driving an UV ?
So, you're bond?

Let me know what you all think about this, are you a Saloon type or UV type ?
You should have left at this but you have said too many things, that, you will regret for creating this thread.

Raj,

Why get angry, my friend ? You could have simply given 10 reasons which makes UV better vehicle, so simple ? We agree to disagree, right ?
...because of your inappropriate usage of words in the opening post and also because he has owned 3 Scorpios and an Innova. Btw, he owns few buses too. So, all the jazz that you spoke about space, multi-axle etc., he has experienced it.

I don't understand the following, so these are some pointless statements.

My bro had come from Nagpur to Pune in Scorpio & he had severe backache for next 2 days. He went back by Volvo bus (no flight available that day) .
Btw, he was seated in 2nd row & the scorpio was just 7 month old.

Next, I traveled in Innova from Pune to Shirdi, was seating in 3rd row & by the time we reached Smile Stone motel at Supa, near Nagar, my legs were completely cramped. Took good 3-4 mins to get down.

I also traveled from Nagpur to Wardha in Endevour & I felt as if sitting in a boat. fortunately, came back to Nagpur in Honda Accord (asked my bro to swap cars & he too had disastrous time in Endevour), what a relief it was.

It is therefore that I prefer car over UV. However, the good part of UV is while traveling on bad roads, it is far better than car but then, how many times we travel on bad roads then ?
Reason is this, based on my personal experience
> Scorpio is more of upgraded Bolero. Remember scorpio is not true SUV but maybe MUV+
How do you know? Did you physically design it or are you design head working for M&M? Btw, what is an MUV+? That's a jargon, never heard off.

> Ford Endevor, Toyota Fortuner feel like truck to drive & to be in at. Sat in Endevor for 3 hrs non-stop & it was one of my worst travel. I was continously shifting left & right due to big body roll.
How many SUV's have you driven? To justify, please post a picture or two, showing you driving the car. If not, consider this as a baseless statement too.

The above mentioned type of vehicles are more of LIVE GOODS mover than PEOPLE MOVER. These are meant for carrying goods & not humans in reality. Unfortunately, Indians don't know what is meant by SUV in reality. Car cos name something as SUV & people buy it blindly
Baseless, period.

As far as safety is concerned, I would anytime feel lot more safer in cars like Honda Accord than Ford Endevour. Now how many UVs provide 6+ airbags ?
Rationalizing with air bigs? Baseless again.

Again, a sedan can make a 11th hour CUT to avoid oncoming vehicle, but SUV will ram straight & if it does try to take severe CUT, it will simple topple
That's baseless again. If the truck approaching in the opposite direction see's me overtaking a vehicle, he either goes to the extreme left or slows down, to let me maneuver. If it was a sedan, he wouldn't bother slowing down or making way for me.

Forget FE, but how many times you need to travel with more than 4-5 people out of 365 days/year ? Driving in tight corners, cars are far better off for the simple reason that turning radius of UVs is far more than comparable car
How many times do you keep cornering or keep taking U-turns?

Now calculate how many passengers you carry. So, at the end of the day, if there are 7 people, you can't carry luggage & if you are going to carry 4 people with luggage, then even sedan can do it, that too more comfortably.

Correct. All so called SUVs sub-20 L are actually GOODS MOVER WITH ROOF rather than SUVs
Do you take your family/friends along to work? If no, why do you need a sedan for 4 people, if you're going to travel once in a while in 365 days?

You may take your company transport/government vehicle or as you mentioned, hire a cab. Why do you have to own a sedan?

Real SUVs are Land Rover, Land Cruiser, Merc G Class, Audi Q7.
Rest are all truck with roof with some seats thrown in.
It is no wonder then that vehicles like Venture too are getting in for comparo here.
What are you? CEO of World cars?

I feel Aria is more urbane & sophisticated while XUV 500 looks as if they are there on road to bully others.
Road presence is felt more by saloons, gives more premium feel than MUV/SUVs. As Aria is a cross-over, it does this job better than XUV.
So, if you are the bully type, opt for XUV, if you prefer sophistication, go with Aria, infact Safari looks better in this case too than XUV 500.
Eagerly waiting for Merlin .
Did someone offer you a freebie to write againt M&M and its cars? Who cares about what you think dude? Why do you bother wasting your time writing such non-sense?

Who tested Aria and XUV? How do you know its better? Give justification if not stop writing.

I frankly was not able to sit comfortable in Innova, extremely cramped when it comes to leg room. Grande has better space than Innova but you keep jumping behind. If it goes on the speedbreaker at 50kmph, the adjoining passenger will land in your lap (some may even benefit from this aspect of Grande) .
How tall are you? a 7 footer? You seem to have something to do with TATA.

I really wish you had kept a lot of things to yourself. Remember the following :

1. Dhaya : Owns a Aria & Verna. Previously owned a Safari
2. Raj : 3 Scorpios, Punto and an Innova
3. Mukesh : Scorpio
4. Avinash : Accent previously and now a Scorpio

So, make sure to do your homework before you start talking in such open forums. Importantly, if you were wish to write any further, use proper justifications by posting pictures, your driving experience with photographs and videos.

Regards
Avinash

Mods : I had to post this separately as it was more than the number of characters allowed per post.

my mother and wife, have enjoyed travelling more in my Scorp than in the Accent.
Avindu Please chill.

After accent if you had driven a Linea or skoda you would have said someting of simile.

My Ex boss had A scorpio that was in 2005-2006 . he bought it out of hype and Goodies he heard everywhere.
But he used it maybe for 7-8 months and sold it off. I traveled with him in same car and did say how it felt to which he shruged his shoulders. next car he bought was Skoda Laura.(now he owns audi )

I myself drive ford ranger,Dodge dakota,mitsubshi Pajero. but i cannot explain with words how brilliant my punto is compared to those heavy beasts.

these big cars are heavy, vibrates, noisy due to big engines,bit uncontrollable due to wieght etc. etc.

you must admit, a big car like a scorpio or safari might be convenient and peace of mind on our roads but they lack over all fineness and subtlety of regular sedan .
These big cars(trucks to be precise) are almost twice as much heavy as a a hatch or sedan needing double the power and expense too.

Hence in order to deliver such a big car for 10 lakh there is a hell a lot of compromises which becomes evident even to a layman.

I agree, with a big Car you can drive care free and be more liberal on road but at the cost of FE and safety for sure ,braking for example.
on Indian roads two wheeler and these big cars are notorious for accidents than a sedan or hatchback (I forgot the source of info).
A sedan has a convenient shape for the designers/manufacturers which is much safer and remain planted on road compared to bulky and boxy shape of big cars.

Technical advancements have resulted in much better and superior bigger cars yet our scorpy and safari stands no chance against a similar priced sedans like skoda,civic,cruz.these cars can smoke a safari or scorpio or innova delivering utmost luxury and control.

@ Avindu: All I can say is - chill brother. Take it easy. No doubts, you have given an apt reply but I dont think even this will help in any way.

Because fanboyism in this forum is at its peak these days. We cant stop it completely but atleast we can get amused by it. Its total entertainment if you think about it from that angle! And its free! :-)

@ jayadev: every car has its pros & cons buddy. Nobody is objecting that. But careful & sensible words should be chosen while posting, isnt it? Just because i dont like a sedan, can I call it's owners idiots or goons or fools or whatever?!

@ S Class:
You have not quoted any of my posts! :-( LOLZ
I read your comment about Ritz. So you are sure a Ritz can do everything a Scorpio can do?
P.S.: Please note I am not claming a Scorpio can do whatever a Ritz can do. Answer carefully.

Finally, see the poll results. Its pretty clear who is the winner!

Last edited:

My Ex boss had A scorpio that was in 2005-2006 . he bought it out of hype and Goodies he heard everywhere.
But he used it maybe for 7-8 months and sold it off. I traveled with him in same car and did say how it felt to which he shruged his shoulders. next car he bought was Skoda Laura.(now he owns audi )
Lol, you guys have not at all tried the mHawk series and continuously posting against the car.

these big cars are heavy, vibrates, noisy due to big engines,bit uncontrollable due to wieght etc. etc.
Jaydev, the modern diesel engines of Scorpio is silent, than Innova or Fortuner, Endeavour.
Try it yourselves.
mHawk's cabin is well insulated from outside world.

For how long it can travel in 3ft water ?
Fact is the design of safari or scorpio hasn't been made keeping this in mind. For a vehicle to be qualified as SUV, this has to be met, else it is MUV.
i am sure it was around 3-4min. approx. as it was bit large water body . Please i have seen land rover stuck so don't give me that look no car is perfect everything get stuck . No matter what you say . SUV is car with has ability to go off-road and as well as give comfort which scorpio and safari are very much capable off
if really want to drive all time in 3FT water better buy Boat
I am here buddy. My friend drove through water in his Ritz, & thankfully, water didn't get into his exhaust (driving on high rpm on 1st gear). So ? Salute Ritz too ??
please ask you buddy to drive car to through water which is reaching near his window and record video so that i can see how badly it will fail [lol]

What are you? CEO of World cars?
indeed he is CEO of some company to have so much money

if you have money then there is no end to satisfaction

I myself drive ford ranger,Dodge dakota,mitsubshi Pajero. but i cannot explain with words how brilliant my punto is compared to those heavy beasts.

[lol]you are comparing to difference class meant for different work
you must admit, a big car like a scorpio or safari might be convenient and peace of mind on our roads but they lack over all fineness and subtlety of regular sedan .
These big cars(trucks to be precise) are almost twice as much heavy as a a hatch or sedan needing double the power and expense too.

Hence in order to deliver such a big car for 10 lakh there is a hell a lot of compromises which becomes evident even to a layman.
SUV are indeed mini-truck which provide comfort but remember they need to make SUV parts more rigid so something has to compromised unless you are rich guy to buy expensive machine where this is not case of sedan just drive any sedan on same road where SUV travel you will know difference within one-month where sedan maintenance bill will touch sky and For SUV just normal service

I agree, with a big Car you can drive care free and be more liberal on road but at the cost of FE and safety for sure ,braking for .
it made me laugh please my safari used to give 11 with AC in city where as recently tested BMW3 series gave 8-9 wit AC . SO i should say sedan are worst . they aren't because i am again comparing different class . Sedan are good for On-road purpose

Technical advancements have resulted in much better and superior bigger cars yet our scorpy and safari stands no chance against a similar priced sedans like skoda,civic,cruz.these cars can smoke a safari or scorpio or innova delivering utmost luxury and control.
lol again you are comparing sedan and SUV . i am telling you again and again please please do not compare different class with each other they are made for different purpose

I think this debate has really gone Big as the thread name suggests!
After reading through what I understood is S Class wants to say that SUV's sold in India are really not SUV and these are Big, Taller vehicles with more seating capacity than Sedans.And they dont have that sporty features of real SUV.
I guess what he say is not wrong completely.

But again whatever rest of the members, SUV/MUV owners say is not wrong too, In India there is always necessity of such MUV/SUV's or lets say Big, Taller vehicles with more seating capacity, which are capable to run on all sorts of Indian roads, which the Sedan can not serve.
Looking at our culture 7 tradition, Indian families are big in size and people tend to move together a lot including relatives, so 7 to 8 number of persons on a drive is a common site. So people prefer to buy vehicles which will accommodate these many people, people are reluctant to hire taxis on each occasion and they prefer their own vehicle for family trips. Using your own vehicle for family trips is also considered as a status symbol here.
That's why the Quails, Trax, Sumo were so popular in olden days!
As the automotive Industry progressed and so The India, Affordability of the people and living style also changed/ Improved.
Now there are multiple options available in all price range be it Sedan or MUV/SUV.
SUV/MUV are used in India mainly for passenger transportation and hardly for any Offloading, except some adventure enthusiast like Avindu.

IMHO it is all the need of the owner to buy a sedan or SUV/MUV, we just can not differentiate them based on their features. At the end both has limitations and Advantages over one another.

Sedans and SUVs are different catagory of cars and each catagory has different utility value.

For our roads and even highways, SUVs are much safer than sedans.

SUVs has got road presence. (Sedan road presence is a myth - Road presence is different from turning heads. And even about turning heads, SUV turn heads better than sedan)

Yes, politicians and goons use SUVs in our country. That does not mean every SUV owner is a goon or SUV owners are generally goons.

The defenition of SUV is an off roader capable car which is also comfortable.

Safari is an SUV. So is the new Scorpio (mHawk)

Thar is not an SUV - it is just an off roader (a tough one rather)

it made me laugh please my safari used to give 11 with AC in city where as recently tested BMW3 series gave 8-9 wit AC . SO i should say sedan are worst . they aren't because i am again comparing different class .
I understands that very well .
I admit bigger car has much more space advantage.

Sedan are good for On-road purpose
Exactly !!!. this what I mean...nothing else.

lol again you are comparing sedan and SUV . i am telling you again and again please please do not compare different class with each other they are made for different purpose
No need to LOL.
check the thread title..."The BIG Debate: Sedans v/s SUVs"

Hope you read that.

It can be out of preference or need.

When i need to buy a car for regular commutation I'd compare which is best suited for my requirement. I wont think "ohh,they are of different class so it is foolish"

basic question and intention of this thread is I suppose "I want a car which could be best one" I may have money to buy both Sedan as well A muv. so due to classifications what do you recommend?

@ jayadev: every car has its pros & cons buddy. Nobody is objecting that. But careful & sensible words should be chosen while posting, isnt it? Just because i dont like a sedan, can I call it's owners idiots or goons or fools or whatever?!
Exactly, but we are not talking about a typical car or personal interest but a general nature. hope we are not getting misunderstood.

If this thread was debate between "Innova vs versa " or "bike vs scooter" how would it have been. It may not be logical sometimes,there are loads of plus and minus,where both may not come in terms with, but in my book Innova excels, you all know why.and i bought a scooter(honda activa) against bike.

It is in similar senses sedan has got better advantage technically which i feel.

Jaydev, the modern diesel engines of Scorpio is silent, than Innova or Fortuner, Endeavour.
Try it yourselves.
mHawk's cabin is well insulated from outside world.

Mukesh, I am not against any of these cars. I love them all.Since long I am eyeing on a Mahindra Thar or similar off-roader.

Lol, you guys have not at all tried the mHawk series and continuously posting against the car.
But we are not talking about specific quality of typical car but general.
Why I say so,
I havent driven much of Scorpy . but i have travelled side by side in Scorpy "crdi" and tavera. have them both as taxi near my home so I do call them when I need a drop at Airport. tavera is much silent and comfy, (The taxi owners commented Tavera is much better investement )though i cannot sleep in either of them while in 3 hours journey, due to extreme body rolls and bumpy ride. Sometime When they are not available i call ambassador too which is so pleasant to travel in and of course in my punto .
But punto and amby struggles and jumps terribly on Bad roads of kerala ,sure.

But if roads were good enough no doubt I will never choose those big ones other than offroad

But if roads were good enough no doubt I will never choose those big ones other than offroad
agree wish our government do something about road instead rising petrol price [anger] .

Sedan are best if you want on-road performance and comfort . SUV are good with somewhat good roads and rest bad roads like my factory area . My accent bumper and underbelly are good example of damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom