Securing Your Car From Theft: Tips and Tricks

In my humble opinion the old system of steering lock and gear lock is still a great deterrent for the thieves. But you have to make sure you purchase it from a good and reputed company, so that the key can not be duplicated easily. And the important thing is not to leave your valuables behind in your car.

Thread Starter #62

350Z

Core Team
When I got my zen, the remote key was missing. Can I replace the old control unit box (Piranha make) with another company's CU box but using the same wiring & actuators?
Please check with a qualified technician for guidance in this regard. Generally, it’s also advisable to replace all the locks as a precaution in case of used cars that are too old.

In my humble opinion the old system of steering lock and gear lock is still a great deterrent for the thieves. But you have to make sure you purchase it from a good and reputed company, so that the key can not be duplicated easily. And the important thing is not to leave your valuables behind in your car.
Sad but the truth, even the so-called reputed companies are making stuff which isn’t upto the mark as compared to what we used to have a decade ago. I bought a steering lock sometime back of a known make but its quality was nowhere close to the one that I had bought in 2002 of a local make.

Drive Safe,
350Z

HI guys i used to park my car below my window for many year,i stay at first floor,thus any activity within or around the car would immediately alert us,so uptil now there was not any issue with car security.
Twice i got experience of theft with old car ,once lost stereo when i was out of station for week and once whole car,theft attempt,but saved since my dad was at home,some unknown person well dressed removed my car cover,when my dad shouted he ran off before getting hold of him.

I have a new car Ertiga now,and worry about getting scratched or dented by cyclist(children s) who often used to damage my old car.Worried about it i parked it off from my view.
So regularly i worry about my car,car is equipped with OE Security system,immobilizer,i know this can be easily hacked upon my thief who mean't to.

So i was thinking of good gear lock,otherwise.OE which cost 1200/- by maruti.

Also thinking of getting a cctv system for my car and my neighbour,it would be only one,what would be an exact cost,can it be DIY.

Guys I read this in FB. Could this be true? For your suggestions/action

How to Lock Your Car and Why.
When you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting, it does not send the security code, but if you walk away and use the door lock on your key chain, it sends the code through the airwaves where it can be instantly stolen. This is very real.
Sethu, this is an old email chain going on for more than 5-7 years.
No need to worry about this.

Thieves Clone Remote Key Codes to Steal Cars? - Urban Legends
Lock your car manually, not with the wireless remote-Fiction!

Stealing the RF codes of remotes is very easy for the hi-tech thieves. Whenever we press the remote a frequency wave is spread all over which is received by our locking system module. The same can be caught easily using a digital spectrum analyzer. Then the same code can be sent through a special remote.
So, if we lock the doors using keys, no code will be generated by the remote and the car will be locked and armed. The thieves will get no code to generate.
Some products come with encrypted RF codes so that no one can spoof them.

Thread Starter #66

350Z

Core Team
Also thinking of getting a cctv system for my car and my neighbour,it would be only one,what would be an exact cost,can it be DIY.
Yes. You can install a CCTV if you have a basic know-how. Browse through the shopping websites for an idea on exact pricing. How about considering a tracking device too?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yes. You can install a CCTV if you have a basic know-how. Browse through the shopping websites for an idea on exact pricing. How about considering a tracking device too?

Drive Safe,
350Z
Gps tracking device can be considered but please share the cost,but before that gear lock and cctv would be my priority since last year an XUV was stolen from colony and yesterday my relatives lost their 4 months old scorpio.[anger]

I have heard about boleros,scorpios or XUVs,even some tatas been stolen,but never heard about Innovas,ertiga,xylo been stolen.what can be the reason?up comming election may led to rise in theft according to me.

Has anybody installed fuel kill switch / ignition kill switch etc...? i believe not all thieves know these stuff compared to conventional gear/steering locks!

how difficult is it to get this done and maintain the same in long run?

Last edited:
Has anybody installed fuel kill switch / ignition kill switch etc...? i believe not all thieves know these stuff compared to conventional gear/steering locks!

how difficult is it to get this done and maintain the same in long run?
I have seen many commercial vehicles (Vikram CNG/auto) and a few private cars with these switches.
Its an easy job to install the switch and is successful in the long run.
The switch can be connected in the IGN coil line, fuel pump line, solenoid line(for CNG/LPG)
A small push-pull switch and some wires will do the job.

@SMK, if you find some one pls let me also know.[:)]
Sir why do you need this type of switch. You have central locking system !

To instal this type of switch take the car to any car electrician and tell him to connect the switch via the IGN coil +ve. And place the switch in a hidden location.

Sir why do you need this type of switch. You have central locking system !

To instal this type of switch take the car to any car electrician and tell him to connect the switch via the IGN coil +ve. And place the switch in a hidden location.
Shanthanu, I believe this is another security for my car. Hope you that our thieves are capable of steeling anything in any manner. As cops used to say, you can delay it by some measures.

I thought of doing it.

Top Bottom