Securing Your Car From Theft: Tips and Tricks

Has anybody installed Tcop? It is a product of a company called itrans in bangalore. Their top model is less than 10000/rs.

Check out their website.
Tcop Car Security - Gold Model

"Unlike the traditional car burglar systems that are triggered when someone touches the door, this would send the alert even if someone was trying to break the window pane or fidgeting with the car. It could also set off a voice call to inform about the theft. The device could also, through an SMS, alert the owner if someone in his family or otherwise was using his car without his permission through an ignition alert. Parents could keep tab on the car being used by minor children or others.The owners could also track where their car was currently located.The owner could get details of the last 72 hours of the movement of the car and places it has been to.It could also be fitted onto school vans or buses and help parents through SMS to track the vehicles movement. The school could also have a central data that helps track the fleet of buses.
Except for the initial device cost there are no recurring charges for the first year. From the second year onwards, nominal fees is charged by Vodafone to keep the prepaid sim active.Except for the device, there is no need of any hardware or software.The company has tied up with car dealers for fitting of the devices"

Looks promising. only issue is it wil be effective only in areas covered by Vodophone.

Now days there are being lot of vehicle theft going on, and due to such type of activities and mostly the theft is been inner device and the above information given on stopping the theft activities, is been very helpful to keep our car away from the thieves.

Hello,

Some days back my cushions have gone missing from my car. I am sure that the doors were locked. There was nothing else inside the car. Is it possible for someone to open the door? And if the car door can be opened then can the car also be stolen?

Cushions ? I guess you had forgotten to close the windows,some one would have picked it.
Or might be taken away by the service center ppl..
Yes doors can be opened (especially in M800 & omni).

No, windows were closed, only a crack was open so as to prevent it from getting hot. Can the door be opened with any other vehicle keys? I will have to leave my car in the campus for 1 month when I am not there. Is it safe to do that?

This is the scariest thing for any vehicle owner.

Day before yesterday, my Neighbour's Toyota Qualis (2002 model) from right in front of the house.
Yesterday evening when I returned home from work, my house cook told me about the incident that took place after I left for work yesterday. The owner of the vehicle has five vehicles in their family (Innova 2012, ANHC, 2010 Corolla, Swift VDI) & the old Qualis.

Yesterday evening I had a chat with him and it was almost a shocker to me. There are two security guards in my lane who come to work at 9PM. They claim that the theft happened in between 8-9 in the evening. The owner got to know about it the next day morning when the driver came to take their kids to school.
I felt really scared because, my car(less than a month old Brio) is generally parked right next to the qualis most of the time. Atleast 4-5 other card are parked in the same empty plot parking including an 800 & old zen.
The owner of the vehicle wasn't very depressed (obviously he is a rich dude) and he says "dun worry much as it was an old vehicle and is covered by insurance " He adds "Don't worry, your car cant be stolen as it is equipped with immobilizer, like our all other cars"

I wasn't convinced... and I still am not. I decided to take walk at late night around midnight. I double checked my cars doors and to my horror, a little ahead I found both the security guards sleeping next to each other comfortably under a tree (literally snoring away to glory). I woke them up and blasted them for their carelessness, but I know they will hardly care.

I am really really worried now, as I have to park the car at the same place every night.
I have a gear lock installed.

My steering gets locked when I move it a bit after I take my key out (happens in my zen LXi too). Do I need to get additional steering lock ?? If so, any makes / brands ?

Is the built in immobilizer good enough to stop a thief from driving away ?

I am evaluating other security devices, not sure if MicroVBB is available in NCR.

Any other suggestions !!

Thread Starter #25

350Z

Core Team
No, windows were closed, only a crack was open so as to prevent it from getting hot. Can the door be opened with any other vehicle keys? I will have to leave my car in the campus for 1 month when I am not there. Is it safe to do that?
Unlocking a stock Maruti 800 without keys is a simple task. I would not reveal the procedure for obvious reasons though. But just ensure to keep the windows down only when the car is parked in a safe location. I do not advice doing so when the car will be left alone for over a month. You can instead consider parking it in an area which has shade and is safe enough.

I wasn't convinced... and I still am not. I decided to take walk at late night around midnight. I double checked my cars doors and to my horror, a little ahead I found both the security guards sleeping next to each other comfortably under a tree (literally snoring away to glory). I woke them up and blasted them for their carelessness, but I know they will hardly care.
That was ridiculous. The immobilizers are usually considered as a useful measure to prevent theft but burglars are burglars. While it might not be easy for them to drive away the entire car but it is very much possible to break in and steal some important parts. Please install at least basic security features soon.

My steering gets locked when I move it a bit after I take my key out (happens in my zen LXi too). Do I need to get additional steering lock ?? If so, any makes / brands ?
I’m using a steering lock since 2002. I don’t remember the brand but it’s still as good as new. Do ensure that quality is up to the mark while buying one.

I am evaluating other security devices, not sure if MicroVBB is available in NCR.
Visit the website of MicroVBB. Map My India also offers tracking device but it doesn’t have the feature to send commands to the car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I’m using a steering lock since 2002. I don’t remember the brand but it’s still as good as new. Do ensure that quality is up to the mark while buying one.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Hey 350z,

Thanks buddy. Can you share some pics of your steering lock ?? When I look up the internet, I get images of some long stick like locks, are you using one of them??
And is the built in steering lock totally useless??

Visit the website of MicroVBB. Map My India also offers tracking device but it doesn’t have the feature to send commands to the car.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Did that, They have Mumbai numbers only, and are very hard to reach. Finally got hold of some one on the other line, asked him about dealers in NCR... He gave me some delhi numbers, and they are all not valid.

I think have to check other options now.

Thread Starter #27

350Z

Core Team
Thanks buddy. Can you share some pics of your steering lock ?? When I look up the internet, I get images of some long stick like locks, are you using one of them?? And is the built in steering lock totally useless??
The car cannot be stolen without a key (unless it’s towed). If a thief somehow manages to get hold of the actual key, then unlocking the built-in mechanism will not be a big deal. So aftermarket steering lock is one of the basic features to protect the car. Although it will not make the car theft-proof but can surely make difficult for one to steal it. Yes. I’m using the stick type steering lock as seen below. I can upload an image of my steering lock if you would still like to take a look.

Steering To Pedal Lock.jpg
(Pic Source: Google Search)

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hmm, I thought so just that it doesn't look very pretty [surprise] .

I will get one of this over the weekend. So if I understand, every morning you open this big lock, put it in the dikki and every night take it out and attach it to your steering.. [surprise].

I guess I am very lazy!!

Thread Starter #29

350Z

Core Team
Hmm, I thought so just that it doesn't look very pretty
Looks doesn’t matter. You are not going to drive with this attached anyway.

I will get one of this over the weekend. So if I understand, every morning you open this big lock, put it in the dikki and every night take it out and attach it to your steering..
I don’t mind doing that if it helps to keep the car secure. I keep it under the front seat (Just in case, can also help to break the windows from inside). This lock will turn into half of its length when not in use. The upper half part moves inside the main stick.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hmm.. Makes sense.

BTW, I could reach the Delhi office of MicroVBB, and they have given me contact details of their distributor in Gurgaon. They have four variants of the product priced @ 7.5k, 10K,12.5K & 15k plus Rs 750 for installation of any model.

I am attaching the brochure. Do let me know what you think ??

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom