Second Hand Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys I was just having a casual look around online on Quikr for second hand punto. Found one which clocked only 7500 KM, so not even the first service is over according to the speedo info. The Price quoted was about 5.35lacs by a guy in Hyderabad. I haven't had a look at the actual car & there are no pictures of the car as well on the site.

Now I would like to know from you experts if at all I would like to go for this car would it be a good buy & what kind of checks to do & questions I would have to ask even before I make any kind of payment or should I forget it altogether & plan for a new car?

Check the car in person first of all. How old is the car? Ask the owner why he wants to sell it so soon in first place. If possible take a friend or mechanic with you to inspect the car. Ask for a TD and see if everything is normal. I think the car may have been involved in an accident , check the paint quality throughout the car. If you find everything satisfactory then go ahead with the car.

See one of my friend checked with the dealer lately about emotion and dealer quoted somewhere around 6 lakhs plus some thousand which was negotiable.

I think, rather then investing in used Punto, you should go for the new one. Fiat cars are not like Maruti's.

If still you feel that you would save something by going for a used car. Then follow what Dhaya has suggested.

All the best.

There's nothing wrong in getting a used Punto, however, i hope you are aware of the fact that Fiat cars do not have a good resale value, and being a second owner, you will get further lower price while selling.

Thread Starter #6
thanks for the suggestion guys, however would following the PDI that we have for new cars would help? I don't know any good mechanic for cars here. A question does taking the car to the Fiat Showroom would it yield the chinks in the armor? I mean would they able to show where all the problems are there?

Yes having the new car PDI will help a bit , not entirely. In used cars you should concentrate more on the mechanicals whereas in new car we will merely check the cosmetics and electricals. BTW you still have not told the age of the car? Try to find out why he is selling at first place.

I doubt whether the A.S.S will take interest in this case , i know how lousy TATA'S technicians are! Either they will say everything is fine to save their time or because they get a new customer in you. If you have any contacts inside A.S.S then it might help. If the seller is selling for a genuine reason then i think there is nothing to worry about because 7500KM will have done no harm to the mechanicals. But anyways inspect the car thoroughly and eve if you get little doubt , back out.

I will go with what Dhaya has mentioned. 3 things to note while buying a Fiat used:-
1. As it is a newer car, understand the reason and genuineness for selling this so early
2. Take the car for a longer spin, and try all electricals like A/C, stereo, other controls etc. You can even take it to a authorised center and get the ECU connected for any error codes.
3. Fiat them selves dont have a good resale value. If eventually you decide to buy the car, let the first owner take the maximum hit. Being the second owner, you should be in a position to garner some money after you decide to re-sell it.

Top Bottom