SD Card Blank Error in Samsung Android Phone (Solved)

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
I'm experiencing unexpected issue with my Android. To be honest, it is one of the reasons why our mobile app launch has delayed due to which I’m unable to test it on the phone. Around a week ago, the phone was working fine but for an unknown reason all of sudden it has started showing an error: “SD Card is blank or has unsupported filesystem”. I don’t know what caused this as I didn’t touch any files or functions. Tried formatting the card but it causes the mobile to hang and then it automatically switches off. I also attempted to format the card from laptop but it throws an error “Windows is unable to complete the format”. I’m stuck in this weird situation from around five days now with consistent search on net but no help. Finally decided to seek some help from software gurus on our forum. Anyone? :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: SD Card Blank Error in Samsung Android Phone

I hope this helps:

1. You can try reading the sd card with a separate card reader on a computer. If that works. Copy the contents of the sd card to a folder on the computer. Then format the sd card. Then you can copy the contents back to the sd card. I would suggest that you copy one folder at a time. Then if there is a corrupt file, you will have a better chance of pinpointing it.

2. Try to format it with the computer and then put it in the phone and see if it will mount it.When you format it on the computer use the fat file system. Uncheck the Quick format tick box as well. This will completely wipe the drive before it formats it. It will take longer, but does a better job

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

1. If you have any other sd card , insert it and see if it's recognised or not.

2. Just unmount the sd card from the phone , don't format it. Turn off the phone for 5 minutes , turn on the phone.

did you install any app which you think can cause this problem. just delete recently installed app and restart your phone.

Last edited:

Even i had faced same problem with my sony mobile,what i done is unmounted the sd card from cell and had a antivirus scan of sd card with the help of lap,tada my problem was solved with that

Thread Starter #5

350Z

Core Team

You can try reading the sd card with a separate card reader on a computer. If that works. Copy the contents of the sd card to a folder on the computer. Then format the sd card. Then you can copy the contents back to the sd card. I would suggest that you copy one folder at a time. Then if there is a corrupt file, you will have a better chance of pinpointing it.
I formatted the SD Card in the beginning when this issue cropped up. It deleted the data but still continues to show the error.

Try to format it with the computer and then put it in the phone and see if it will mount it.When you format it on the computer use the fat file system. Uncheck the Quick format tick box as well. This will completely wipe the drive before it formats it. It will take longer, but does a better job
Tried this solution but no avail. At last moment, it throws an error “Windows is unable to complete the format”.

If you have any other sd card , insert it and see if it's recognised or not.
No. I don’t have other SD Card. Read on net and according to some people this issue persist even with a different card.

Just unmount the sd card from the phone , don't format it. Turn off the phone for 5 minutes , turn on the phone.
Tried this solution too earlier but it didn’t help.

did you install any app which you think can cause this problem. just delete recently installed app and restart your phone.
The latest application that I installed was Easy Battery Saver. All the apps (Total 3) on SD deleted after format.

Even i had faced same problem with my sony mobile,what i done is unmounted the sd card from cell and had a antivirus scan of sd card with the help of lap,tada my problem was solved with that
Just tried this also but again, no help.

PS: Since my SD Card is now blank so I think it is natural for Android to show this error. However, it is not accepting the SD Card due to which I’m also not able to use the camera. Moreover, the total as well as available space shows “0” on laptop and “unavailable” on Android.

Drive Safe,
350Z

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

then i think the card's corrupted but it should have work after format.

did you try to put the sd card in another phone ?

now i think best is to take it to the service center.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

apps are installed on the phone memory only , the apps' data is downloaded on the sd card.

check if you have sufficient internal memory and you can download apps.

Thread Starter #9

350Z

Core Team

check if you have sufficient internal memory and you can download apps.
I have to transfer an .apk file to my phone. The issue is when I shared it through Bluetooth, it although receives the file but shows the status as ‘failed’. I have nothing else on the phone except for contacts. Do you think factory reset would help in such situation?

Drive Safe,
350Z

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

no , if you transfer an apk , it gets stored into bluetooth folder in sd card and you cannot transfer apk to internal memory through pc.

well just backup your contacts then and do a factory data reset. worth giving a shot.

the service center guys will do the same first. you can also try to update \ repair software of your phone.

check out samsung community and download a software to update your android's software.

You can try using hp usb disk and EASEUS Partion Mastersoftware to format the card.

When you format the card select NTFS file system.

Also try running the card through virus scan because sometimes this kind of situation occurs due to a virus on the card.

Thread Starter #12

350Z

Core Team

Just shot a mail to Samsung. Hope to receive a response from them soon.

well just backup your contacts then and do a factory data reset. worth giving a shot.
Done. Unfortunately it did not help.

You can try using hp usb disk and EASEUS Partion Master software to format the card.
Thanks. I would check them out tomorrow.

Drive Safe,
350Z

downloaded apps were installed on phone memory on Android cupcake (1.6) etc versions from 2.1 onwards we can use "move2sd" or choose to install the apps on SD.

only few phone have large amount of internal Memory (not RAM).

the Galaxy i7500 has 8GB of internal memory, while the Behold 2 has only 200MB.
the newer Galaxy Pocket has 3GB internal while the Galaxy Y has 180MB. HTC Explorer has only 90MB.

Android is much like Linux you can dig around the phone a lot. If your SD card is above 2GB it is SDHC (micro) card. some older laptop's internal card reader does not support SDHC.

so please try to use a good quality card reader to check whether the card is ok nor not.
you can try using the card on a friend's phone. if it is still saying the same error, if it came bundled with the phone take it to service centre. if not contact the place from where you purchased it
also please give the model and capacity of the card.

if you are willing you can download Droidexplorer to install apps on phone. or you can use adnroid-SDK and the tools associated with it. the possibilities are endless.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15

350Z

Core Team

Samsung’s online support has advised to reset the mobile to factory settings. However, it didn’t help when I reset the mobile earlier. Recently I contacted their service center. They have told that the SD Card will be replaced if the mobile is less than six months old. Thankfully, there are a couple of days left (I bought it on 18 Feb). I will visit them to resolve the problem. Anyhow, I didn’t expect the issues to crop up so early with Samsung.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom