Screeching Sound from Wheels While Braking in Swift

Thread Starter #1
I have a Swift ZXi which had clocked 26000+ on the ODO. My father is the person who uses this car generally. My query is regarding the working of ABS. While sudden breaking occasionally the tyres use to produce a screeching noise. But the brakes are quite effective and the car stops as soon as the brakes are applied. The ABS light comes up when I turn on the car and turns off soon before the car starts which shows the ABS is working properly.The JK stock tyres are having enough thread .
Is this screeching sound normal in the case of cars with ABS ?
Fellow TAI'ins please expess your views regarding this !

Re: Swift ZXi: Screeching Sound from tyres while sudden breaking(generally in wet roa

How long does it screech? I have noticed some noises from the tyres but they are not like the ones you get on non-ABS cars, it will be clearly different. As long as the stopping power is good, there is nothing to worry about.

Re: Swift ZXi: Screeching Sound from tyres while sudden breaking(generally in wet roa

In case of hard braking with ABS,slight vibrations occur in the cars.
About noise,some cars have it too,but if noise is higher then maybe the brake shoes need replacement.

Oh,have I read wet roads?If yes,then no issue it is.
Just get the brake shoes changed if you feel it too odd(just to make your mind happy).Else this is really no serious issue.
And still if you feel uncomfy,then go to Maruti A.S.S.

The stock JK tyres in the Swift is a low rolling resistance tyre to aid fuel economy. They are prone to screeching as they lose grip faster and this is specific to these tyres.

When you change the tyres to something else, this screeching will vanish. As far as I think, there should be no issue with your brake shoes.

Thread Starter #5

How long does it screech? I have noticed some noises from the tyres but they are not like the ones you get on non-ABS cars, it will be clearly different. As long as the stopping power is good, there is nothing to worry about.
Last time it happened today.While cruising at 60+ speed with slight drizzle a crazy motorist changed his lane without any lane change indicators and we had to break harder to avoid a collision. I was not in the car and what my father told is that its not like the sound that happens in Alto , Maruti 800 etc while breaking.

In case of hard braking with ABS,slight vibrations occur in the cars.
About noise,some cars have it too,but if noise is higher then maybe the brake shoes need replacement.

Oh,have I read wet roads?If yes,then no issue it is.
Just get the brake shoes changed if you feel it too odd(just to make your mind happy).Else this is really no serious issue.
And still if you feel uncomfy,then go to Maruti A.S.S.
Regular service will be due on July and while visiting the MASS I will enquire with the people regarding the break shoes and get it checked.
The stock JK tyres in the Swift is a low rolling resistance tyre to aid fuel economy. They are prone to screeching as they lose grip faster and this is specific to these tyres.

When you change the tyres to something else, this screeching will vanish. As far as I think, there should be no issue with your brake shoes.
I am not happy with the stock JK tyres. It has developed small cracks in between the threads in the front tyres.
I am planning to change the tyres as soon as the ODO clocks 30k mark. But the back tyres are having enough thread left in it.

Are MRF Z.Co tyres good ?
thank you all fellow TAI'ians for quick replies

Last edited:

Are MRF Z.Co tyres good ?
thank you all fellow TAI'ians for quick replies
You mean MRF Z.LO.?

I have heard some very good reviews about them.

You can also give Yokohama A drives and C drives a look. Michelins are great too but since they are soft compound, they wear out faster. Also, they are more prone to punctures.

Thread Starter #7

You mean MRF Z.LO.?

I have heard some very good reviews about them.

You can also give Yokohama A drives and C drives a look. Michelins are great too but since they are soft compound, they wear out faster. Also, they are more prone to punctures.
MRF Z.LO costs Rs.3850/tyre.
I do not have any plans as such to change the tyres as enough thread for another 10k is there and due to budget constraints.
Will soon come up with a query question regarding tyre change[:)]

Top Bottom