Scorpio M-Hawk SLE - Diamond White Rhino

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

2 months back, I was thinking of upgrading my car to at least 6 seater. The reason being the cramped rear of swift was really painful for people during long drives. 4 adults and 2 kids. Myself and my brothers family for frequent long trips. For city swift diesel was apt for my usage. Hence started searching for good vehicle for my budget of 8-9L.
Swift Diesel has completed 39000 kms and was good city vehicle for me to cruise.

My requirements were as follows:
1. Proven Diesel Engine with good mileage in city and highway
2. At least 6 seater occupant vehicle
3. Sturdy enough, rugged and good looks
4. Sedan or SUV was not sure
5. ABS (My Swift D did not had ABS)
6. 50% City driving and 50% highway (Monthly - 1500-2000kms)
7. No rattling

I shortlisted the following cars:

Initially, thought of sedan/hatchback. Test drove Linea, Vista, Manza, i20.
Somehow, the seating arrangement was tough for us even in Linea/Manza.
Then we thought of SUV/MUV. I was againt MUV kind of vehicle. And finalized on SUV.
For SUV, we have 2 options. Scorpio and Safari.

Test drove both Safari & Scorpio.

Safari:
Huge space - like a home sofa
good features
good enough 6 seater
Powerful engine

But, I found some lack of torque in city driving. Driven Swift Diesel, I wanted the vehicle which has sufficient torque for manuveuring in city limits and meet my highway demands. For sure, its a good highway monster to take on anything. Again, I had some memories of TATA service and was not upto the mark. Just personal opinion.

Scorpio MHawk:
Enough space for 6 seater
Decent features
Macho look and awesome engine response
Test drove for good 3 hrs with 3 diff dealers
Found good for city and highway drives
Power range of 1700 - 2500rpm was pretty impressive and smooth

But, I found the gear box/clutch to be hard to slot. Not so smooth. You need to be strong enough to take the beating on your left shoulders/knee. Driving in city and highways suited my kind of driving. Service wise, M&M are better compared to TATA but still not good enough. Went through lots of threads from Mukesh(Scorpio - Mist Silver).
Booked Scorpio SLE Diamond white 8 seater at India Garage. I went for 8 seater as I found it apt for my requirement. In worst situations, I can put 2 more people.
So, this time we decided to put 7yr and 4 yr old kids in mid row slightly moved fwd. Our better halfs in last row with enough leg space. And ourselves in front row. It worked perfectly for us. Stretched the budget for scorpio. Took the vehicle delivery on Sept 2. Pooja at Dodda Ganesha temple. The initial exp was like a promotion from hatchback to SUV.

Dealership Exp:
Booked the car in Aug 2nd week. They promised to give floor mat, sunfilm, scuff plates, mud flaps, body cover and discount on chrome kit/bull bar.

Initially, I was given a vehicle ready for delivery. But, when I did the PDI, there was uneven panel gaps,bonnet gaps, cladding was not proper. Gear box was very hard to slot the gear. I outright rejected the vehicle.
After good discussions with Sales Manager and GM sales, I got allotted a vehicle. I did the PDI. The vehicle was good, least panel/bonnet/cladding gaps. The engine was good and gear box smooth. Much better than the previous PDI vehicle.

Accessories:
Roof AC Blower
Chrome kit - Head lamp, fog lamp, tail lamp, mirrors
ICE - Pioneer 6390SD, Rockford front components and rear speakers at stock locations
Stock Seat covers are much better. Plan to keep them for next 6 months
Reverse Parking Sensors white pods - red soul

Initial 500kms exp run-in period:
Took the vehicle for long drive on SH 17. Went to srirangapatna to visit backwaters near Mayura guest house. The river was flowing vigourously.
The gear shift had got used to it. But, felt little tired to adjust to this gear box compared to Swift Diesel. And I had to press the clutch completely. Kept the vehicle nicely at 70-85kmph range. Actually, after vehicle takes off by 30kmph the engine becomes smooth.

My family enjoyed the good enough space and comfort. No bumpy ride, no wobbling. The vehicle behaved much matured to my expectations on highways.
Driving wise, compared to Swift Diesel; I need to adjust the timing of gear changes. Have developed slight pain in left shoulder/knee. I hope its only matter of getting used to it.

Issues faced:
After the short trip to mysore, the vehicle vibrates a lot initially.
But, gear shifting is getting better than before.
The central locking does not lock/unlock after I start or shut down the engine. Not sure whats the issue here.

Photos to follow in the evening.

Re: Scorpio Mhawk SLE - Diamond White Rhino

Let me be the first to congratulate.
Congrats for getting MHawk Scorpio.I love its looks and its engine.I suppose scorpio can tackle these potholes brings a smile on your face
Heard it has got one cracker of an engine.
What about handling(since you drive swift too)?
Eagerly waiting for the pictures.

Wear your seat belt and drive safe,
Point City 96

Thread Starter #3

Swift Handling:
Handling was top notch in swift. Even at 100/120kmph I was comfortable to take the curves and manuveur very sharp within the city and highways. I have lots of memories of swift handling in highways. But, after 120kmph I loose confidence as mine is an LDI without any safety features. Very agile in nature. Any turn you take with speeds, the Swift frame comes to its original bodyline to handle the cars dynamics.

Scorpio Handling:
It cannot roll around as Swift and but its a monster to take on highways with ease. Body roll is significant in Scorpio than in Swift. But, the well built body frame with safety add-ons makes us comfortable for it to be pushed. For sure in corners, we cannot drive similar to swift but decent speeds of 80kmph should be able to manage. Driving SUV adds more responsibility to drive it matured rather than zig-zag driving.

Congrats on the buy White-Rhino. Scorpio is indeed pleasure to drive, and it takes time to get used to the weird gear shift stick and the long clutch-well. I now find the gear shift real smooth. I suggest when you start your machine, keep it running on idle for a while and in the meantime do a full 1-2-3-4-5-R needless to say with the clutch pressed all the way, and you'll feel the difference. I've made it a practice and gear shift afterwards feels smooth. Let me know of any problems if and when you face, as I have faced a few issues with vehicale pulling to left and the front power windows going kaput. Shall give you my advise.

Crunch more miles in the beast and drive responsibly.

Congrats on the buy white rhino. I too has my eyes on SLE version, but budget wont allow me to get there now.
Is there any gear vibration ? esp in third gear ? Also is back seat space comfortable ? Can u also let know normal speed gear length achieved in each gear.

Waiting for photos :)

wow scorpions in TAI are increasing! [:D] welcome to TAI buddy and congrats!! post pics ASAP!!

Congrats buddy. I also have a Scorpio SLE and its doing pretty doing good till now with minor niggles every now and then. Do share the pictures.

Thread Starter #12

Congrats on the buy white rhino. I too has my eyes on SLE version, but budget wont allow me to get there now.
Is there any gear vibration ? esp in third gear ? Also is back seat space comfortable ? Can u also let know normal speed gear length achieved in each gear.

Waiting for photos :)
Gear stick vibration is evident all through the gears.
For city drive 3rd gear is most apt and smooth to drive on. Need to keep the rpm under power range during run-in period.

1st to 2nd gear - 10-15 kmph (vibration)
2nd to 3rd gear - 20 - 35 kmph (vibration)
3rd to 4th gear - 40 - 50kmph (smooth)
4th to 5th gear - 75+kmph (smooth)

In all the above, you need to keep the rpm under 2500 rpm. I think the power range for Scorpio is from 1750rpm to 2750 rpm. After this it gets noisy as well. Its a very powerful engine. You can here the turbo roar from 1750 rpm.

Second row seats are comfortable. Since, mine is 8 seater; I can slide it back to provide more leg room. The sliding gap is around 8-10inches. Not sure though. Need the check. Based on who will be seating in second and third row, adjust the sliding gap.

Thread Starter #13

Many congrats on your Monster [cheers]. Drive Safe.Enjoy.

What is this?

During test drives, I found the AC was not powerful enough for 3rd row seats.
It does cool but not enough. Hence I fixed Roof A/c blower without condenser. It circulates the cold air to 3rd row. We found it very useful as well.

Cost?
Chrome kit costed around 2700 for those. Its just for the looks.
Actually, I was thinking of having chequered decals similar to VLX. The cost was 10K. I wanted to see a scorpio SLE customized with this stickers. I found one in showroom standing. I checked the stickers. It was horrible. All the dust were accumulated around those. Hence dropped the idea. No stickers.

Thread Starter #14
Need some help.
During pooja, the archak used some sandalwood paste on the vehicle bonnet.
Now, even after 3 days I am not able to remove the paste. Any solutions?

Also, yesterday the M&M guy came for demo. He checked the lock and unlock. It worked. And today, its not working. I manually lock and unlock it.

Also, VMS only says "wear seat belts". No welcome message and other msgs. Not sure whats the problem. Please advice.

Hello White-Rhino, Welcome to the hawk gang buddy.

Those petty issues can be discussed later, How about a wee introduction of yourselves.

Top Bottom