Scorpio M-Hawk LX or Safari Dicor LX

Thread Starter #1
Friends,

I am planning to purchase a car. I am confused between the two vehicles.
1. Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT – Lx Model
2. Mahindra Scorpio mHawk – Lx Model

I need your help for making a right decision. My budget is less than or @ 9.5 Lacs, So I am not considering Scorpio SLE or Safari Ex model. [cry]

Below are few Positives and negatives of the two vehicles.
1. CD Player Absent in both
2. Immobiliser is present in scorpio Lx but absent in Safari Lx.
3. Rear wash wiper, front and middle row arm rest, Full wheel caps, Electrical OVRM’s, Indicator on Mirror, follow me home head lamp etc are present in Safari but missing in Scorpio Lx.
4. Common features like Power stearing, power windows, central locking, mobile charging etc are present in both.
5. Rear defogger missing in Both.
6. In scorpio Side Cladding is missing and black colored Bumpers are present whereas in safari Lx gray colored claddings and bumper is present.

Above are just feature Comparisons, from the cost perspective both model cost is almost the same.

Please consider this and do suggest which one should I go for? Honestly speaking, my heart is already beating for Safari, its my dream car. [:)]

I have not considered ride quality, engine responsiveness, maintenance cost, interiors, fuel efficiency, ASS etc. Request you to comment on these points also.
Also, I have heard that Scorpio is not stable at high speeds, is that true?

Also please suggest or comment on other points which I might have missed.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Re: Scorpio mHawk LX or Safari Dicor LX

I would suggest you to Go for Safari LX as it is having more features as compared to Scorpio and also never compramise with you dream man.[clap] ....!!!
All the very best [drive]

350Z

Core Team
I cannot think of a reason why you should not choose the Safari. Especially when it is also the car which you dream to own. It is certainly better equipped than base version of Scorpio and offers acres of space too, but remember that New Safari a.k.a Merlin is around the corner. So you might want to wait for it. As far as cons of Safari are concerned, I do not have a personal experience with it though but going by the ownership reviews and hearsay, Tata’s after sales and service could be troublesome at times and so is the maintenance. Here are a few comprehensive related threads:

Tata Safari:
- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-dicor-ownership-report.html?highlight=SAFARI
- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-dicor-ownership-report.html?highlight=SAFARI
- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...or-vx-4x4-black-bahamut.html?highlight=SAFARI

Mahindra Scorpio:
- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...corpio-vlx-mist-silver.html?highlight=scorpio
- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...awk-rocky-beige-bought.html?highlight=scorpio
- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...awk-one-year-ownership.html?highlight=scorpio

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #4
Thanks a ton 350Z. [:)]
So it looks like both Safari and Scorpio, have got some positives and negatives.. :mad:

Friends,

I am planning to purchase a car. I am confused between the two vehicles.
1. Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT – Lx Model
2. Mahindra Scorpio mHawk – Lx Model
You have not mentioned your priorities. Is it self driven or chauffer driven?

For self driven use, I would recommend the scorpio since the mHawk is a joy to drive. For chauffer driven use, I would recommend the safari since it has the best rear seat & ride quality.

I have not considered ride quality, engine responsiveness, maintenance cost, interiors, fuel efficiency, ASS etc. Request you to comment on these points also.
Ride - Safari is better
Engine responsiveness - Scorpio is better
Maintainence cost - Scorpio is cheaper
Interiors - Scorpio has better build whereas safari has more space
FE - Safari is marginally more FE
ASS - Mahindra is a tad better than TATA

You missed :

Resale value - Safari suffers from poor resale value. Scorpio, on the contrary, fetches a good price.

Also, I have heard that Scorpio is not stable at high speeds, is that true?
Not true. this is true for the old gen scorpios, not the newer ones. If you are used to driving sedans only, you will initially find both scorpio & safari to be scary.

Since the safari's ride is better, it does seem to be more planted on rough roads.

If I was you, I would buy the scorpio mHawk since its a hoot to drive. Bit you mentioned safari is your dream car, just close your eyes & go for it buddy. Else you will repent later when you see another safari on the road.

Only concern areas of safari -

1) Some reliability issues reported
2) Poor resale value
3) Merlin due for launch

Thread Starter #9
Thank you all for your responces.

@ Raj : Special Thanks to you Raj. Ur's is a really nice and honest reply.

If you ask me, I like scorpio but I love safari. Though I have not driven both personally.
I will certainly, test drive both the vehicles before final descision.

Safari is my dream car and I would definitely go for it blindly, but when I look from commercial perspective and open eyes, I try to think, whether I am making a wrong descision ? Because I am also worried about A.S.S of Tata and maintenance cost of TATA vechicles [cry] I love Safari, hence today I am ready to neglect those things but tomorrow it should not happen that I will later have to regret my descision for not going for scorpio.

Also, about Marlin launch, I would like to wait till its launch, hoping that Tata will not discontinue its existing Safari Models. From the initial spy pics, I can very well say that I am not really impressed with looks of Marlin, but willing to wait till its launch.
Also I think it will be heavily priced than Safari. If Tata is putting this Car in compition to XUV then certainly its way ahead of my budget. [cry] but if thay are putting Marlin in compitition to Scorpio and cheaper than Scorpio, then I will certainly have a look at it.

As All have mentioned the pros and cons of both vehicles,you should first have a test drive of both vehicles.Read ownership Reviews by the owners of the respective cars, keep everything in your mind.List out the things you need and which you don't want according to you.

I don't think the older Safari will be sold along with the new one,but pretty sure its gonna be priced higher.

Sometimes you do have to go with your mind rather than heart,but if Safari has been in your heart for a long time,you can purchase the car,and wont regret because you just love it!

@ Raj : Special Thanks to you Raj. Ur's is a really nice and honest reply.

If you ask me, I like scorpio but I love safari. Though I have not driven both personally.
I will certainly, test drive both the vehicles before final descision.
Yes. a test drive is a must even if its your dream car.

Safari is my dream car and I would definitely go for it blindly, but when I look from commercial perspective and open eyes, I try to think, whether I am making a wrong descision ? Because I am also worried about A.S.S of Tata and maintenance cost of TATA vechicles [cry] I love Safari, hence today I am ready to neglect those things but tomorrow it should not happen that I will later have to regret my descision for not going for scorpio.
Allow me to be a little blunt here. This is not to dissuade you in any ways.

YES, TATA safari does have some reliability issues. Also, A.S.S. is known to be bad. There are owners who have banged their heads in frustration & swore never to buy a TATA again. At the same time, there are some owners who are very very proud of their safaris. But all said & done, its your dream car & you will tend to forgive all its issues. Minor issues wont even bother you much. But the very same issues, if they happen in a Scorpio, will irritate you as you would then think that you were better off buying a safari! I hope you got what I am trying to convey!

I am not recommending you the safari because I think its a better car of the two, infact as I said, I would buy the Scorpio. I am recommending you the safari because you would be happy in the safari more than the scorpio. And thats evident from your posts. and that is important when you buy a car, isnt it?

anyways, have a test drive first. it "MAY" change your mind.

Thread Starter #12
My initial assumption was that, Tata will continue to sell its exiting Safari Model as its already a good hit and for the same reason they are not launching the new Safari with the same name, hence changed the same to Marlin. However this was purely my assumption.

If Tata is not going to continue their existing Safari Model, then I am sure tata is taking a huge risk, which I am sure they might be aware of.
In case they are not continuing the existing Safari and still overpricing the Marlin above Scorpio, then I am sure Marlin will get a big hit by already best selling Scorpio [:)] .
However, its my personal opinion.

Any news on Marlin Pricing or launch date ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Still confused between the two [:(]
As you all are aware, my heart says Safari but my mind says "Scorpio".
I have now decided to consider second hand car option also, in that case would you still suggest me Safari?? or Scorpio? or will you suggest me to go for a 2nd hand or a new car ?
Also if I am going for 2nd hand safari/scorpio, what points should I consider..

I have few points in my mind, Request experts to correct me if I am wrong and also add their valuable inputs.
1. Model - not before 2009. [ie. scorpio refresh - mhawk or dicor 2.2 VTT ]
2. odo Kms - Not more than 50000.. [or upto what kms I can consider ?]

I request raj_5004 to suggest or add his points also.. [:)]

Also please suggest me points to be considered while going for a second hand car or request to redirect me to a proper thread.
eg. how to check whether car had an accident ? or engine if fine or not ?? insurance claims have been made or not ?? How to inspect a car before purchasing ??

I have decided to book a Safari/Scorpio [new or used] on 5th March which is my marriage Anniversary [:)] . Your inputs and comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

^^
Safari is not a very practical car it suffers from:
1] poor turning radius,
2] parking issues,
3]electronic glitches,
4] tata after sales,

In comparison Scorpio is very practical, fun to drive and smart vehicle.But ask me or my sister and we will never touch Scorpio,why?because its not a very comfortable car like the Safari.

Man if Safari is your real dream car then why the hell you are even considering scorpio,I suggest you buy Scorpio since there are doubts in your mind,Safari is really for those who want safari and nothing else,who want to "reclaim their lives",not for people who compare it with Scorpio.

Top Bottom