Sandero and Santro in India Court of Law

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai Motors India Limtied has dragged Mahindra Renault to the high court where it has filed a petition against the latter alleging that Mahindra Renault’s upcoming launch Sandero sounds quite familiar to its most popular model Santro. In the petition, Hyundai alleges that Mahindra Renault intends to encash upon the familiar sounding name of its best selling model ‘Santro’. Hyundai has pleaded Delhi High Court to not to allow Mahindra Renault to launch the car in the Indian market.

"They (Mahindra Renault) are planning to launch Sandero, which is very similar soun

ding to our Santro. Both are hatchbacks and Santro is an established trademark and they are trying to get mileage out of it," a senior Hyundai Motor India Limited spokesperson said.

On the other hand, Mahindra Renault CEO, Nalin Mehta has responded to the lawsuit stating, “We have filed a reply requesting the Honorable court for removal of Mahindra Renault’s name as the defendant. Mahindra Renault does not have any ownership of the ‘Sandero’ brand. Mahindra Renault has never used or promoted the brand and it belongs to Renault and we have no locus standi on the brand. Our appeal with request stated above is filed with the Court and awaits hearing."

A hearing is still pending at the Delhi High Court.

Source: CTI

Drive Safe!
350Z

This is strange case indeed.
Does Renault have Sandero, outside india? And does Hyundai has Santro outside india? If yes, shouldn't they have same issue worldwide?

Oh!! This is really absurd!

I will not agree with Hyundai's appeal!

This is meaning less! No body is going to buy a car based on phonetics.

I am with Mahindra side :)

This is strange case indeed.
Does Renault have Sandero, outside india? And does Hyundai has Santro outside india? If yes, shouldn't they have same issue worldwide?

Yes, Sandero was launched in Brazil initially I guess. Its an international model, just like Santro.

napster

Suspended
silly, as zinam said who is going to buy cars on the basis of phonetics?
and even if the case favours hyundai, renault will launch the car with a different name, whats the big deal?

Arun

Suspended
Here are a few pictures of the Sandero.

I agree with napster. This case is a mere waste of time. Mahindra doesn't own the name, only Renault does. What is the big deal? As napster said, they can re-badge it and sell it here!

i dont think this hundai win this case. Sandero is an international model which is highly competitive on South American markets.

Thread Starter #12

350Z

Core Team
Completely useless.
Now, Does this means that the two carmakers can't even keep names which sound similar? This was too by co-incidence.

I remember, Honda filing a case against TVS some years back because of the name used in TVS Bike called Star "City" which matches with Honda's car - "City". Atlast, Honda won the case and TVS had to remove the name "City" from bike, Afterwards it was called TVS Star Sport.

Drive Safe!
350Z

City in bike term means its for city use like that.

are you sure city is removed from tvs. Still they sell city and sports is one of the variants.

The variants are city , city es and sports. Am sure as my friend took a flame 2 months back , and i was there at show room.

Any how its not the name that matter , its the product!

The Honda matter makes some sense, because its City has a premium brand image and TVS star is an economy bike with no image at all.

But Hyundai's case is good comedy. Especially when we look at the MR's claim.

Top Bottom