Same Tyre Size On Front & Rear of Bullet Electra Twinspark. Why?

Thread Starter #1
Hello Experts
After a lot of Research have booked a Bullet Electra Twinspark, the only thing I am not happy is that the vehicle comes with 3.25 x 19" tyres on both the wheels....So have a few questions
What are the advantages & disadvantages of having same size tyres on both the Wheels?
Can I upgrade the rear tyre to 3.50x19" tyre without any modifications or suggest me some tyre upgrade

Wrong question. Advantages or disadvantages do not accrue by virtue of having 'same trye size on both wheels'. Companies do a lot of R&D to arrive at the correct tyre size and so its not very wise to fiddle with OEM specifications unless one knows what he is doing. That said, upgrading to 3.5x19 will improve stability and grip by a wee bit and would bring down your FE by 5%. Go for it.

Thread Starter #3
I don't think its a wrong question...moreover the company's R&D should have a reason or advantage for using the same tire size on both the wheels of a Bullet Electra Twinspark since all the other models run on a variation in tire size.... So I need to know why?

I believe the company didn't go for wider for the rear could be because many of the buyers are city users & only about 5-10% of the buyers go on to the highways. One main reason for the same size tires is to help improve the mileage, as change in tires does have an effect of +/-5.

As mentioned by Sam going for a 3.5/19" tire it helps improve road grip & stability while taking tight corners (Specially with MRF tires), whereas the stability will be slightly less with the 3.25/19" tires. Also it depends on which company tires are on the vehicle as rubber make of each company differs & have different type of effect on the vehicle.

Also I suggest you insist on the showroom guys to put MRF tires if you happen to see Dunlop tires being given for your bike. Dunlop tires are highly unreliable & are prone to skidding on the roads easily & wear out faster than MRF tires (saying from personal experience)

Thread Starter #5
I believe the company didn't go for wider for the rear could be because many of the buyers are city users & only about 5-10% of the buyers go on to the highways. One main reason for the same size tires is to help improve the mileage, as change in tires does have an effect of +/-5.

As mentioned by Sam going for a 3.5/19" tire it helps improve road grip & stability while taking tight corners (Specially with MRF tires), whereas the stability will be slightly less with the 3.25/19" tires. Also it depends on which company tires are on the vehicle as rubber make of each company differs & have different type of effect on the vehicle.

Also I suggest you insist on the showroom guys to put MRF tires if you happen to see Dunlop tires being given for your bike. Dunlop tires are highly unreliable & are prone to skidding on the roads easily & wear out faster than MRF tires (saying from personal experience)
Hi Ryder,
I'm buying this bike basically for my everyday commute and a long drive say once in two months thats why I chose Electra over a Thunderbird & Classic 500, and if my height matters I'm 6"4' tall.
I understand that a 3.5/19" at rear would give me more stability with a some compromise on mileage. About tyre change, will the showroom guy change the tyres from stock to MRF, I'm not sure of it anyways could you suggest me some better tyres I don't mind spending some money on getting good tyres

yes 3.50x19 can be fitted to rear tyre.even i did it on my electra 5s which earlier had 3.25x19 and ofcourse mileage would get affected(not much) because of more fhp spent.but i think bulletiers dont think of mileage.once we have choiced bullet then forget about mileage.go for MRF brand.enjoy thumping.
IMG00023.jpg

Thread Starter #7
Thanx Vijay, The drop in mileage won't bother me, btw I believe that tyre upgrade to 3.50/19 won't need any modifications, correct me if wrong.
The tyre in the image looks like MRF Nylongrip, that is the option I'm considering and do you have any other recommendations on tyres...

there is no need of any modification at all.all u have to do is fit the new 3.50x19 tyre to the rim provided by the company[thumbsup].and yes mine is MRF nylo grip plus and i have saw this tyre only on many bullets.i dont know about other brands available but i think MRF is also a better option.gripping is very good.

Thread Starter #9
Thanx Vjay, I also regard MRF as a very good option, I always like something to choose between thats why I want to know other brands too, I don't mind even if it is international, Offlate I heard about Avon...

@Cooldrive I suggest you insist with the showroom guy to install only MRF tyres & get rid of dunlop, if he doesn't agree tell him you won't take delivery of the vehicle unless he replaces the Dunlop tyres with that of MRF! & he might agree to replace them for free

Additionally get Nitrogen air filled in the tyre it will help keep the tire cool even if you ride your bike in burning heat & the tyre will lasts a little more longer but not much, however I see this is not much of a use if you are riding the bike only in the confines of your city

More Info at : Nitrogen filled Tyres Read post #4

RE has 2 OEMs for the 3.5x19 tyre - MRF and Dunlop. The dealer will give you the brand that you want if you insist as not many owners are fussy about which brand of tyre they get on their new bike. He would remove an MRF from another bike and fit it on your rim. Dunlop 3.5x19 es crap. The one fitted on my m98 Machismo gave up the ghost at 15000 kms. Insist on MRF, not because it is fantastic but because it is better than Dunlop.

Thread Starter #12
@Cooldrive I suggest you insist with the showroom guy to install only MRF tyres & get rid of dunlop, if he doesn't agree tell him you won't take delivery of the vehicle unless he replaces the Dunlop tyres with that of MRF! & he might agree to replace them for free

Additionally get Nitrogen air filled in the tyre it will help keep the tire cool even if you ride your bike in burning heat & the tyre will lasts a little more longer but not much, however I see this is not much of a use if you are riding the bike only in the confines of your city

More Info at : Nitrogen filled Tyres Read post #4
Sure Ryder, Will ask the dealer to Deliver My Electra only with MRF tyres even if its going to take some time, btw I use nitrogen in my Swift, but the vehicle runs on Michelin Tubeless on Alloys and I do regular longdrives (Chennai - Kerala) on it and understand how good it is, Will the same magic work on Tubetyre with Spoke wheels.[confused]

Thread Starter #13
RE has 2 OEMs for the 3.5x19 tyre - MRF and Dunlop. The dealer will give you the brand that you want if you insist as not many owners are fussy about which brand of tyre they get on their new bike. He would remove an MRF from another bike and fit it on your rim. Dunlop 3.5x19 es crap. The one fitted on my m98 Machismo gave up the ghost at 15000 kms. Insist on MRF, not because it is fantastic but because it is better than Dunlop.
Dear Sam, Bullet Electra Twinspark comes with 3.25x19 tyre, and I will surely take it with MRF Tyres only, btw I have a plan to upgrade my rear tyre to 3.5x19 and have only one option now MRF Nylon Grip, Since you drive a Machismo would like to know some more options in 3.5x19 rear tyres, I don't mind the cost.[:D]

Dear Sam, Bullet Electra Twinspark comes with 3.25x19 tyre, and I will surely take it with MRF Tyres only, btw I have a plan to upgrade my rear tyre to 3.5x19 and have only one option now MRF Nylon Grip, Since you drive a Machismo would like to know some more options in 3.5x19 rear tyres, I don't mind the cost.[:D]
My '98 Machismo was the only model in the RE rangealongwith the 500 CI that came with the 3.5x19 tyre at that time. RE had two OEMs for the same size - MRF and Dunlop. My Machismo came with a Dunlop that started developing cracks in the sidewall at 12000 km despite my treating the bike like a baby and ALWAYS parking it in the shade. The tyre lost its tread at 15000 and I replaced it with MRF 3.5 x19. Though I do not find any significant difference in the road grip, the MRF certainly feels more durable than the Dunlop. I think you will not get any other Indian tyre of size 3.5x19 as no other regular production motorcycle wears a 19 inch rim. So it is better to stick with the MRF. However, do check out websites of foreign manufacturers loke Pirelli and Avon - they might have something in store for you.

P.s. : I have to say this, I just loved the looks of that Dunlop Uni Grip tyre. It made my Machismo look fantastic.

btw I use nitrogen in my Swift, but the vehicle runs on Michelin Tubeless on Alloys and I do regular longdrives (Chennai - Kerala) on it and understand how good it is, Will the same magic work on Tubetyre with Spoke wheels.[confused]
I have filled Nitrogen in my tyres today, I haven't checked physically if there was lot of heat in the tyres after filling the Nitrogen. But I did felt a slight improvement in ride comfort & the bike felt more stable than I did before even when taking tight corners at a good speed (at about 40-50) I would say that's good improvement for me. However the ride quality & improvement depends on how much PSI you set as well, if its not even there could be some issue. Currently I put front 30 & back 35 PSI

Top Bottom