Safari 3.0L Dicor - Ownership Report

Thread Starter #46
Actually as i will be driving i cannot watch it! But yeah i will not be bored surely as i will be driving![;)]

Pictures i still have not taken it as i just returned home yesterday after the trip , will post them soon!

Thread Starter #47
Have dropped Safari again for service to address all the issues which Carnation pointed out. Previously as we planned for a trip we could not drop the car for service that time , so dropped it finally now and expecting it back after 2-3 days.

The main complaints i have given them are:

1. Braking of the car is not uniform. There seems kind of a to and fro motion while braking even slowly!

2.Water entering inside the right headlamp assembly.

3.Check engine oil glowed for sometime while my dad was driving yesterday.

4.And also Carnation pointed out some oil leak , so that is also to be rectified which maybe the cause for check engine glowing also!

Thread Starter #48
Got back the vehicle only yesterday from TATA! The car has completed 4 years now and some niggling problems have started to arise after 3 years of our ownership. Some rattling and squeaking issues , Headlamp assembly water leakage and replacement , oil leak and still many more! Experience was a typical TATA one ,will share some things with you guys.

The total bill was Rs.2600 approx which included the labour charges for replacing and sealing the crankshaft engine oil leak as Rs.2400! They said its that cost because in SUV'S the whole engine had the be removed to check that leakage problem unlike Vista's (The SA pointed that car as it was next to him) where it can be repaired easily and hence the delay in delivery of the vehicle. Apart from that the charges include glue , sealant , one Brake light bulb( I din mention it was not working , was glad to know they fixed it without me mentioning it) and also the VAT charges.

1.The braking problem has not been repaired , i can still feel the braking is not uniform.

2.The glue and sealant was used to seal the headlamp assembly and they assured that water will not enter inside now. But poor chaps did not have the common sense to remove the water present inside already. I noticed water while taking delivery and they made me wait for another 30 mins to remove the water completely!

3.The check engine lamp glowing was supposed to be solved.

4. And the oil leak was also sealed.

Now my dad was having a chat with the SA present there. He said he was planning to replace our Safari with the other model from TATA which is expected soon and going to be the premium car in TATA (My dad is mentioning the Aria , i passed the information to him from here). The SA gave a shocking reply that no car is expected to replace the Safari from TATA. When i mentioned the name as Aria , he said oh ya well that car is expected next year but it cannot be as good as Safari! I came outside telling dad that this is why TATA is not good. People present there have very less knowledge about cars!

And another thing is when i took the car in the evening from home i noticed that the headlamps are not working , have to take them again today to rectify them! The total experience was a typical TATA and when i go to service my Verna i never feel the same way or do not experience anything like this!

That is a pity Cooldhaya. Hope the braking problems are not too serious but I still suggest to get it rectified, in particular.

I just wonder, why does TATA service stations take their business so lightly.

Just one more thing about the cost you spent, is it Rs.2600 or 2600 + 2400 = 5000? :stupid:

Thread Starter #50
No the braking is nothing serious , but you can feel that the braking is not uniform and proper!

No JammyD i mentioned the total bill is Rs.2600 approx.

Thread Starter #51
My Safari now today got a new Sony Dvd with USB HU , the same one which Ilango has! And along with this a 10 inch LCH roof mountable monitor was also fixed worth Rs.7000/- from a brand called Black! The total bill was Rs.22k but was rounded to Rs.20k! And just like many other people my dad is a die-hard Sony fan so he din even bother look at the prices and models from other brands!

The work was carried at Radio Ware House , they were very professional and finished the job in an hour!
Here are the pictures of my Safari. It has now clocked 87k kms and still running good without any major issues. Pictures of my Safari standing in our parking lot , the parking space is pretty tight and requires some practice so park it perfectly. Also attaching pictures of the new Sony HU and the LCD monitor.

And also when i switched ON the lights today to check them , to my surprise they were working. But still i wanted to get it checked as the car will be running in the highways mostly. Went to them today morning and ask them to check it. The removed the relay lamp fuse , cleaned it and again fitted it , left the car idle with the lamps ON for a few minutes and no problem occurred. They said the fuse must have been the problem and said the problem wont occur again now.

OT: Notice the weather , its raining in Chennai for the past few days!:biggrin:

Attachments

Last edited:
Dhaya, The LCD looks nice and appreciate your (and your Dad's) patience with the A.S.S.
But, I dont know how different it is in Bangalore. I own Indigo Marina for the past 5 years and bought a VX 4X4 Safari (2010) 4 months back. So far, not any pathetic experience with A.S.S here in Bangalore.

I will open up a new thread with my write-up in few days here :)

Prem.

the braking issue seems to be because of uneven surface (uneven wear) of the discs. get the discs re-surfaced on lathe & the problem will vanish.

Thread Starter #54
Hello prem welcome to TAI , nice to see one more Safari owner here to discuss issues. The A.S.S here is pretty bad atleast where i service it. We owned a Sierra for close to 10 years and we serviced it only at the same place where we service our Safari now. Our Sierra was repaired and maintained beautifully by them but its not the same with Safari and the reason i guess is change of mechanics and SA'S! Am insisting my dad to either change the car or change the workshop but my dad is not agreeing to both , the reason being he is in love with Safari and the service station where we service now are very close to us now. So my dad is feeling bad to even complain to TATA about their poor work.

@ Raj I mentioned to the SA about this issue but they have not even bothered to check or repair it!

Dhaya, The LCD looks nice and appreciate your (and your Dad's) patience with the A.S.S.
But, I dont know how different it is in Bangalore. I own Indigo Marina for the past 5 years and bought a VX 4X4 Safari (2010) 4 months back. So far, not any pathetic experience with A.S.S here in Bangalore.

I will open up a new thread with my write-up in few days here :)

Prem.
Hi prem.
Glad to know dicor is lining on this forum.
I know you very well prem.
Your's is a Cycus grey BS-4 Dicor.

350Z

Core Team
Kaviprem, Welcome aboard to The Automotive India. We’ll be waiting to read the ownership review of your car.

@Cooldhaya, The LCD screen inside rocks! Now it comes as standard on top-end Safari. We had a similar one in an Innova. Did you considered adding cover to the rear spare wheel?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey dhaya after seeing LCD in your car even i am thinking of one.
The sony costs somewhere around 15000 Rs.
But the crappy Nippon system in my scorpio if i remove it the steering controls won't work.[frustration]
Btw where have you placed the speakers.
Please post some pics.

Thread Starter #58
@ 350Z Thanks buddy! Well our spare wheel cover was stolen and a new one costs 4k and on top of that they don have have stock for this color![frustration]

@ Mukesh Well yeah it would be a nice addition in your car as you also seem to travel by road a lot. Speakers are on the four doors and two tweeters placed on the dash , and it must be the same in Scorpio i guess!

Hi prem.
Glad to know dicor is lining on this forum.
I know you very well prem.
Your's is a Cycus grey BS-4 Dicor.
I know you too from BCMtouring [:)] and yes, its Cycus grey BS-4 DICOR.
May be, we should catch up sometime in Bangalore to exchange the good things about Safari & Scorpio as we both are absolutely phased-out, but, its good to believe in what we believe [:)]

Prem.

Kaviprem, Welcome aboard to The Automotive India. We’ll be waiting to read the ownership review of your car.

@Cooldhaya, The LCD screen inside rocks! Now it comes as standard on top-end Safari. We had a similar one in an Innova. Did you considered adding cover to the rear spare wheel?

Drive Safe,
350Z
[Apologies, I should have used multi quote]
The LCD's in Safari VX are of split-type where we get 2 LCD's on neck-rest of driver & passenger seats. So, the size becomes small (5"), but its good as ICE.

Prem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #60
Now here is one trouble i faced with my Safari for months. On one hand where my Verna is running trouble this car is giving me headaches. If you can go through my post fully you can see the very reason am against TATA and their A.S.S. And sorry for the lengthy post , the problem i faced is such!!

It all started one day when the check engine lamp started one fine morning when my dad started for his office. After noticing it immediately he asked me to drop it at the workshop to rectify it ASAP as we were leaving out of station the next week. But there was no noticeable changes in the behaviour of the engine and the car. but still I dropped it at "Pokma" Authorized service station of TATA and after connecting a laptop to ECM they said the fuel injectors needs to be replaced. And they said it would cost around 45k for changing all four of them. They further added that as the car has clocked 90k kms it time we need to change it as it has ran a lot.

I was shocked and called my dad to inform the same. He said to change them as we were planning for a trip the next week. I told the SA to carry out the work but we need the car in 3-4 days back as its urgent. He promised to deliver the car in 3-4 days. I returned back home.

4 days passed and still no call from them. We called up the owner of that workshop as he is our close friend and when we called he said the spares has not yet arrived and he still needs a week's time. We said we need the car urgently. We said them to check for the spares availability with the other dealers present in Chennai. In the noon we got a call that we got the spares from Concorde motors and we deliver the car tomorrow.

As promised they delivered the car the next day but without a proper wash and so oil and grease were present all over the car and also add the dust all over the car. We were disappointed seeing the state of the car. Still my dad refused to complain to TATA motors pitying them.

While taking the car home to our horror the check engine lamp started glowing again! We called them back immediately and they asked to bring the car back. After inspecting the car again he said he forgot to do something and so only the lamp is glowing , i have rectified it and it will not glow now. We took the car for a spin that night within city and the lamp did not glow again.

The next morning , the day before our scheduled trip the lamp started glowing again!! We called the SA and blasted him. And then took it to Concorde motors to check with them. We asked them its urgent as we are going for a trip tomorrow. He said he will give the car back the same evening as it must only be a small problem as there was no change in behaviour of the engine.

That evening we got a call from Concorde motors saying the car is perfect now and we can take for a trip tomorrow. The bill was nil as he said it was only a minor job of erasing some error code in the ECM( i don know what that means). That same evening the check engine lamp started glowing again!! We called back the SA in Concorde motors reporting it and he said that everything is fine with the car sir , no worries. I have checked it completely and your car can go for the trip even with the check engine lamp glowing. He said he will offer us even the 24*7 on road assistance but we already had that service.

So with much confusion and courage we took the car for the trip. No problems encountered in the trip but i felt the engine ran out of breath after 100kmph itself and under sudden and quick acceleration the car refused to respond. So quick overtaking was difficult. But other than this the car was fine. We noticed the engine heating up a little more than normal. When we stopped and checked the coolant , we were shocked to see it having only water!! Then immediately used the 24*7 on road assistance to get new coolant. We got it at the next city from a mechanic waiting for us and he poured it inside.

But still the temperature refused to get to normal. We continued the trip and returned back without any troubles. We noticed when we switch OFF the engine and ON it again the check engine lamp does not glow for sometime. After some 15 minutes it starts glowing again. And so the check engine lamp was glowing for most part of trip.

When we returned back we immediately gave the car back to Concorde the next day itself. Another senior SA took the vehicle and said that Sir fuel injectors need not be replaced within such short span of time. We have not replaced one till now in any Dicor engined Safari. I was like nuts and very furious. We have spent 45k on that and the problem has not yet been solved and now they say the 45k which i spent is waste. I cant shout at Concorde motors and so i dropped the vehicle there again and returned.

After 2 days i got a call back from Concorde saying that the problem was only with the faulty sensors and the bill was Rs.385! I was like[frustration] what must have been finished at Rs. 385 , we have wasted Rs.45k! 45k is mo small amount to leave it just like that , so i tried contacting TATA motors but no reply till now. I still have those old fuel injectors with me , and i will be glad to send it to them even for testing it.

Wait guys the problem is still not yet over. While taking the car home , the Check engine lamp glowed again!!![frustration] I took the car back to them. They then checked it again and did few things in laptop and took it out for a roadtest. They said the car is perfect now. I took the car and went home and the check engine lamp did not glow again! Here ends my Check engine problem after so much trouble.

Guys again sorry for the lengthy post , i wanted to share my troubles with all the members i faced with TATA motors. And also i want to add a proof to support my statement against TATA motors and their reliability.

Top Bottom