RTO Formalities After Changing Color of the Car

Thread Starter #1
Is it legal to change the color of car?
Do we need to follow any process to change the color? The color of the car is mentioned in the RC book/car, so do we need to inform or take permission from RTO before/after changing the color?

you can change the colour of your car but you will have to notify the RTO about this & they will make the necessary changes in your RC book.

Oh so RSM so are you going to change your car color??[;)] But please don do it , Punto is looking sporty in red color!!

Yes we have to inform the RTO about the same! But am not sure whether it should be informed before or after!

350Z

Core Team
Re-Painting the complete car with a new color is very much possible, but once you do it. Then inform the RTO as Raj as already answered above.

Drive Safe,
350Z

350Z

Core Team
I don't think so. If the re-painting is done from a reputed workshop, The work will have almost the touch as of original because it is done after removing the old paint from the body of car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Original paints . Man that is why i am here. [evil]

Correct procedure is , get a permission from rto in a letter ,
get the job done and show the car , pay the necessary fee and change in rc book.

Else change the colour and go to rto - pay the fee and get changed in rc

And best one
change the colour. do not report the car to rto.
No a big problem if they question about the difference. Just we can mention anything like numerology etc. Not a big issue in practical

Oh i never knew it would not create a big issue , but what if the car gets stolen??

Its better to be on the safer side always!!

I don't think so. If the re-painting is done from a reputed workshop, The work will have almost the touch as of original because it is done after removing the old paint from the body of car.

Drive Safe,
350Z
A good painter will do wonders, but it simply cant match original paint's quality especially in the long run.

Thread Starter #13
A good painter will do wonders, but it simply cant match original paint's quality especially in the long run.
I completly agree with this. The factory paint quality can't be re-produced.

ilango[speed thirst];28464 said:
Tata's oe paint can be made better .
The new Tata cars (Manza/Vista) paint finishes is one of the best and comparable to its peers.

ilango[speed thirst];28464 said:
I dont agree .

Tata's oe paint can be made better .

Benz oe quality can be brought if you use correct material and technic[evil]
It might look better than OE paint initially, but it will fade a lot quicker than OE paint.

No , can be made to shine for -like the oe paint. You need exact tools and technique.

very simple.

Painting is a big process. Its not just mixing paint and thinner and spary.

Lot of work is there.

Fading occur due to 2 reason.
1.Obviously low quality paint.
2.The dent is not removed in exact manner and to cover up tinker uses more than the permissible level of the putty.

Also add the quality of the materials used.

An ambassador is painted for a amount of 5000/- . same ambassador can be painted for a amount of 80000/-

you can feel the difference. The problem is people do not spend , very minimum quantity of people do go for this.
also , in normal A S S , they follow normal painting/tinkering process.

In india the exact paint process is followed at bmw/benz/nissan workshops . add the RR and others to this list

Last edited:

Top Bottom