RTO Declines Tax Refund Request Post Car Purchase & State Transfer

Thread Starter #1
Dear All,
Requesting expert advice in this matter.

I purchased a car from my employer in 2020 in Noida. Obtained NOC from Noida RTO. Thereafter I moved to Bangalore and got the car registered in Bangalore. After this I approached Noida RTO for refund of balance tax. But Noida RTO declined saying that since the tax was originally paid by the original buyer (my earlier employer), and now the owner has been changed, they cannot issue tax refund to new buyer.

Please advice what options do I have to obtain the refund of tax.

Thanks,

Nitin Mittal

Nairrk

Honoured Member
May be I am wrong, but what I feel is that you bought a company car and transferred into your name?
I believe the taxes are much higher for company registered cars and you have now transferred same into your personal name, paid tax at a lower rate and the RTO rejects the refund for this reason?

Wait for more expert opinion.

In my limited knowledge refund is possible only to the first owner of the vehicle. I do not know how transfer from company to you works, like an ownership transfer or otherwise.

Thread Starter #4
The transfer from company to me is actually a sale. I purchased it from my employer. I was using this car earlier on company lease program. When I decided to leave the company I purchased it and got it transferred in my name.
In case the refund of tax is possible only to previous owner, I can request my previous employer to request for a refund and then pass it over to me. Would that work ?

Nairrk

Honoured Member
What I understand is 'For a person to successfully claim road tax refund, he or she should be the original owner of the car. Another important point to note is that during the transfer of the vehicle from one state to another, the name of the owner should always be the same otherwise the road tax refund claim will be considered void.

Top Bottom