Royal Enfield Unveils Thunderbird 500 (Coverage on Pg.3)

Thread Starter #1
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500cc, which is powered by a 499cc fuel injected engine, producing 27.2 BHP of power and 41.3 Nm of torque has been launched at the Auto Expo today.

The handlebar is now flatte while the front footpegs have been moved further ahead to ensure the Thunderbird remains of the best cuisers around. The 55W projecter headlight is all new, while a LED tail light and turn indicator are also a first for the Thunderbird. Royal Enfield has also added a rear disk brake to the Thunderbird 500 and the motorcycle will only be available in black colour.

The seats are now split and a new grab rail debuts on the Thunderbird.

The instrument cluster has been redesigned and now incorporates two digital tripmeters.

Royal Enfield will launch the Thunderbird 500 in the later half of 2012.

Source:MotorBeam

Attachments

Re: Royal Enfield Unveils Thunderbird 500

Looks ugly, but the Thunderbird has never been a looker. I'm sure with the usual Royal Enfield dilly dallying, this bike may or may not be launched as per plan. A carb 500cc Thunderbird would have made much more sense. But it's still okay as it is a step ahead for the company. Awaiting more information.

Thread Starter #4

Prices were not revealed but it is expected to below the Classic 500 in RE’s range.

Attractions as I see it -
* More muscle look
* Digital speedo
* Matt Black finished engine case
* Increase tank capacity
* Silencer design seem to be new

When I test drove the RE CL 500, the guy in the dealer gave me the key saying, "Sir here is the key for the rocket". I thought he was hyping it up. But after getting on, engaging the gear, disengaging the clutch, and gave the throttle - man, it is indeed a rocket!!. What a RAW power !!
But the seating was not that comfortable as mentioned in a lot of reviews by Classic Owners, and was wondering, would it make a comfortable ride on a highway eventhough it had the power..
But the TB, does seem to have something for the seating and the cruiser design.
Will have to wait whether it haves the "muted" thump like its classic siblings.
All said and done, without the thump, its not a bullet as all the hard-core-old-iron-cast bullet owners would agree.

Prices were not revealed but it is expected to below the Classic 500 in RE’s range.
I doubt it. With a rear disc, projector headlamp,all those fancy LED knick knacks and knowing Royal Enfield's great pricing strategy ('think of any figure and then triple it'), I think this motorcycle would be priced almost Rs. 10000-20000 over the Classic 500. I just hope Royal Enfield would have sorted out the electrical and EFI bugs before the launch. Time for the big Japanese four to take a look at this market?

I have always been a silent admirer of this beast, but on this 500cc i feel RE has gone over board by the tank design, i mean they could have done tad better at the least. To me it looks like an after market job.

From the pics I see the design is more of the ElectraX which is exported & not available in India, the swingarm seems not changed much to accommodate the Rear disc brake even though I can't make out much. The tank like junaid said its kind of overdone guess keeping in view it guzzles lot of petrol maybe? I find the loooooooooooooong bottle silencer in line with the existing policy, will wait to see how the thump is

I hope RE has fixed the issues that are existing with 500 Classic, if they did not I doubt many would go for it & wait for 1 yr (I heard waiting is 1yr now for classic 500) to own this bike. Will wait & watch as things unfold

@EnfieldRyder - you've got a catchy handle, just love it [thumbsup]

Well to be honest i was very much in line and was awaiting for this release from a long time, i am a bit disappointed now after seeing what the pictures say. Guess the classic 500 is the Bull to go in for considering the options in the market.

Being a previous owner of a CI Enfield i definitely would miss the royal thump but RE to a great extent has managed to retain the character of the Bull in new classic's too, and that's what Bulls are all about isn't it?

I would say if you are going to go for long rides, then 500 would be really good, else I say its waste of power if you are only riding in the city for daily commute. Personally I don't think classic can be called a Bullet or even compared to one. The whole tech has changed & this is really the way forwards from now on. I however would like to know the sales % of the Bullet with UCE in Punjab.

I own a CI Electra which I bought just 6months before CI production completely stopped & I say it gives better thump & is a silent birdie

Yes, Sir. Cant argue over it.

My point was simple here, technology is there and bound to make things better, so the good old lady has some gadgets on her. But her heart is not the same that's the only problem. How i wish they would still continue the production of 500cc CI engines. Gems. What they were. But gone are the days.

Looks ugly, but the Thunderbird has never been a looker. I'm sure with the usual Royal Enfield dilly dallying, this bike may or may not be launched as per plan. A carb 500cc Thunderbird would have made much more sense. But it's still okay as it is a step ahead for the company. Awaiting more information.
This bike will thump for sure....as per my friends in RE fac bookings will start in a quater or 2..

Highway cruising is close to getting a new definition with the fast approaching launch of the Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. The bike, which was showcased at the Delhi Auto Expo held in January this year, is close to being launched and our dear reader Srikrishna Venkat has sent us a few spy images of this bike. He says that the bike has been on test duty in Chennai since quite some time now and definitely sounds different and smoother than other REs.

The seat on the new version of the Thunderbird has been completely redesigned to suit the new foot pegs position. Very much like the Bajaj Pulsar series, the seat can now be opened using a lock mechanism, accessible through the side panel. Also, like on the RE Classic, the rear seat can be removed to accommodate luggage. The bike also gets a new handlebar for better ergonomics and the pillion grab rail is now an all new pressure die cast unit. The new variant of Thunderbird gets newly designed mirrors and keeping with the trend these days, the 500 Thunderbird also gets a LED tail lamp. The redesigned front end is seen with 41mm thick forks and the instrument panel gets two digital trip meters. One of our favourite features on the new Thunderbird is the inclusion of hazard lamps in the switch gear.

SPIED: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. Launch soon | Motoroids

Attachments

Top Bottom