Route Advice Requested - Bangalore to Kumarakom

Thread Starter #1
Hello All. I am planning a road trip from Bangalore to Kumarakom in late October. The aim is to start on a Sunday, break journey en-route (to visit a town / city / place that is worth a halt on the way to Kumarakom) and continue the journey the next day.

I would like to request people who have undertaken this trip before (or are familiar with the roads) for advice on the ideal route to take, and a place that one should stop to take in some sights.

@aloha:
Route 1:
BLR - Hosur - Salem - Dindigul - Turn right NH 45 to Theni - Vandiperiyar(NH 220) - Kottayam - Kumarakom
If interested, you can take NH 49 and go through Munnar but its a ghat section route.
You can plan your halt here for beautiful Munnar landscapes. Then take the road to Kochi. I have heard the road condition is pretty good.
3 months back I did the same route till Adimaly. 90% good roads with scenic routes.
Most preferred since BLR to Dindigul is 4 lane and peacefull. It may little long.

Route 2:
BLR - Hosur - Salem - Turn right NH 47 - Palakkad - Thrissur - Kochi - Kumarakom
NH 47 is going through lots of bridges and underpass constructions. Heard lot of mess with it recently.
Here the other option would be to try Bhavani - Perundurai - Palladam and take a bypass route to join NH 47.

Route 3:
BLR - Kanakapura - Kollegal - Chamarajnagar - Dimbum - Sathyamangalam - CBE Bypass - NH 47 - Palakkad - Thrissur - Kochi - Kumarakom

OR

BLR - Kanakapura - Kollegal - Chamarajnagar - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Eddakkara - Perinthamanna - Pattambi - Guruvayoor - NH 17 - Kochi - Kumaramkom
With above, you can stop over at Masinagudi/Ooty.

In both Route 2 & 3, you can check out following places:
Guruvayoor - deviation from Thrissur
Thrissur Shiva temple
Nelliampathy - near Wadakkenchery
Valaparai/Parambikulam - Near Pollachi - little too much deviation
Athirampally waterfalls - deviation from Chalakudy
If adventurous, you can try Valaparai - Chalakudy road through dense forests for sureshot wild life presence.

I suggest to keep NH 7 as your base for peaceful drive. Happy journey.

Thread Starter #3
Hi White-Rhino

Thank you very much indeed for your detailed inputs. Most likely I will take the first route you suggest and stop over at Munnar en-route to Kumarakom.

Thread Starter #6
@ Highway Ranger
will aim to get a quick flavor of Munnar and make another trip for an extended stay there later.

@ white-rhino
thanks for the inputs. will try and visit Suruli Falls. I dont think I will have time to visit the hill ranges ... maybe another time

Thread Starter #8
@ Highway Ranger

Hi - not yet. The plans are ready (route map / checklist of equipment) ... will be starting this Saturday. Plan to break journey at Valaparai and then proceed to Kumarakom on Monday. I will publish a travelogue once I return ... am really looking forward to this drive (my first trip to Kerala).

- aloha

At Valparai, you can try Misty Creek home stay. If you get the right room you will have a fantastic view. And has car park. and good food at reasonable rates.

They also have a website

I am planning for Bangalore-Pala trip in another 2 days.
The 2 routes, i am considering are
1) Blr - Salem - Palakkad - Thrisur - Pala
2)Blr - Salem - Didigul - Teni - Kumali - Pala

Which should be the best option now?
Any one traveled on these roads recently? What is the current condition?

Last edited:
Hi
This is the route I frequently travel.
there r so many options. From Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigal up to here its 4 lane. From Dindigal bye-pass take right to Theni - ( From Theni take right and drive 100kms to Munnar ) or stright to Kambam - Kumily(Thekkady) good budget hotels are there, take early morning KTDC boating till Mullaperiyar dam (wild life), back by noon and checkout-drive to Munnar (104 kms) or to Kottayam and Kumarakom. Kumily - Kottayam road is good, en route is beautiful with mountains, tea estates etc. etc. Spices are very cheap in Kumily. Or if u r skipping Kottayam and going to Munnar, u will reach by evening - good accommodations r available. From Munnar - Muvattupuzha - Vaikkom - Kumarakom (160 kms) - road is good. Not advisable to take Palakkad route - Avinashi - coimbatore 4 lane road is under construction. From Madukarai to Walayar road is horrible, Walayar to Thrissur is again bad.
Another option is from Kambam go to Vathalakundu and Kodai.

Have a safe drive and memorable holidays ahead.

Top Bottom