Road Trip from Navi Mumbai to Alleppey !!

Thread Starter #1
TAIn's pls advice the best route to follow on a trip from Navi mumbai to Alleppey, in kerala.
I dont want to go via konkan route in maharashtra cause roads are all in a bad shape.I intend to go via Pune-kolhapur-Belgaum,

Kindly help !!

Last edited by a moderator:
From Navi Mumbai

Mumbai - Pune Expressway.

Then NH4

Satara - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Hubli - Davengare - Chitradurga - Tumkur

Take the NICE road to bye-pass Bangalore City.

NICE Road - Hosur Road - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem.

From Salem its old NH47 (Now it is NH544 ?)

Salem - Coimbatore bye pass - Palakkad - Thrissur - Ernakulam - Alleppy.

Roads are excellent except for a stretch of 50 to 60 km near Hubli.
(There are two unfinished fly overs, some two line, and two level crossings here)

After Salem, beware of rash driving buses till you reach Coimbatore byepass.

In Kerala, beware of private buses and tippers till you cross Thrissur.

After that its 4 line road again.

Wish you a happy journey.

@Sachin: I recently did a trip to North Kerala Via Mangalore.

Roads are in excellent condition, but only 2 way lane roads.

My question, why from Navi Mumbai are you travelling.?

As you can do the same via Salem or Mangalore.

At any point of time to Mumbai you must come down to Mangalore.

So via Salem it would be a long distance to you.

So take Hubli-Kirwati Forest-Yellapur-Ankola-Mangalore route.

Routes are excellent till Brahmavar on bridges some parts have broken roads.

Also after Bhatkal a few stretches before Marvanthe have potholes.

As recently i did Ankola from Mangalore.

From Mangalore-Pumpwell Circle-Via Ullal (Few roads are up and down with patchy roads).

After Talapady road conditions improve.

From Thalassery , Allaphuza Allepey is a mere 346-350 kms, takes 6 & half hours.

Roads are single lane and must be cautious while driving.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Thanks Mukesh. I stay in Navi mumbai Or New Bombay ! and my mode of transportation is my Smally Ritz ! So I would hate to go on unpaved roads, cause the ride would be choppy!![frustration].
Thats why I want to avoid bad roads, But I think I will be shaving off around 160 km odd if go via mangalore !

Thanks Mukesh. I stay in Navi mumbai Or New Bombay ! and my mode of transportation is my Smally Ritz ! So I would hate to go on unpaved roads, cause the ride would be choppy!![frustration].
Thats why I want to avoid bad roads, But I think I will be shaving off around 160 km odd if go via mangalore !
Oops My bad, i confused you to other member Sachinj12.

Sorry for the wrong question.

See recently i did that route, so only suggesting.

On this route you can cover maximum places.

Ex: Bekal Fort, Beach, Muzhapilangad (Drive In Beach), S.T.Angelo Fort @ Kannur.

So take Hubli-Kirwati Forest-Yellapur-Ankola-Mangalore route.

Routes are excellent till Brahmavar on bridges some parts have broken roads.

Also after Bhatkal a few stretches before Marvanthe have potholes.

As recently i did Ankola from Mangalore.

From Thalassery , Allaphuza Allepey is a mere 346-350 kms, takes 6 & half hours.

Roads are single lane and must be cautious while driving.
Mukesh,

As I learned from your posts, Ankola - Udupi - Mangalore route is dangerous.

Further, I wont advice to travel through NH17 (old number) from Kasargode to Ernakulam just to save some distance.

You cannot reach Alleppey in 5 - 6 hours.

Road is narrow and with notorious buses racing against each other and doing rash driving.

Also sachin mentioned that he don't want that coastal route.

We have an excellent highway (NH4) and extra distance via Salem is only less than 200 km but can compensated by the road condition.

Sachin,

I have travelled through this route till Ernakulam last year (June 2011) and again planning to do in this April.

Mukesh,

As I learned from your posts, Ankola - Udupi - Mangalore route is dangerous.

Further, I wont advice to travel through NH17 (old number) from Kasargode to Ernakulam just to save some distance.

You cannot reach Alleppey in 5 - 6 hours.

Road is narrow and with notorious buses racing against each other and doing rash driving.

Also sachin mentioned that he don't want that coastal route.

We have an excellent highway (NH4) and extra distance via Salem is only less than 200 km but can compensated by the road condition.

Sachin,

I have travelled through this route till Ernakulam last year (June 2011) and again planning to do in this April.
Its not dangerous buddy, I told him to be cautious while driving.

I didn't see the one he mentioned not to visit through Coastal areas.

And my intention is to visit maximum places on the way.

He can visit Udupi, Krishna Temple, Murdeshwar etc.

I meant he can reach in 5-6 hours from Thallaserry, i.e. after Kannur-Muzhapilangad.

These are the places of interest that can be covered in single trip.

My view is to break the trip into several slots and visit all the nearby places, and not to cover in one go.

Take adequate rest and do a long drive.

In Kerala KTDC hotels are the best and inexpensive.

In Kannur we stayed at Tamarind Hotel of KTDC.

during day time its impossible to reach alleppy in 6hrs. the roads are good but the traffic is very heavy. i would sugggest that you follow mukeshus route. i did come from -mumbai- pune- satara- belgaum- hubli- yellapur - ankola - mangalore- kannur in january 2012. the roads were fantastic till ankola. but recently my friends have reported the roads have improved till mangalore. in kerala the roads are good except that its 2 laned and congested.

I didn't see the one he mentioned not to visit through Coastal areas.

And my intention is to visit maximum places on the way.

He can visit Udupi, Krishna Temple, Murdeshwar etc.

My view is to break the trip into several slots and visit all the nearby places, and not to cover in one go.

Take adequate rest and do a long drive.
I wanted to say that Sachin do not want the Konkan route.

If there is enough time and would like to break the journey to visit places enroute, then the route suggested by Mukesh is the best.
Abundent scenic beauty and lot of places to visit.

Alternatively, for a hazzle free journey NH4 via Bangalore and then Salem - Coimbatore is good. Extra distance could be compensated by good FE and less wear to the car and tyres. Also time required is less since 4 lane.

There is one more route:

NH4 till Tumkur (near Bangalore) and then to Mysore and reach Kozhikode via the forest route. After that its the same road as suggested by Mukesh.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Thanks guys !! I said i don't want to do the konkan route in Maharashtra, cause the roads there are in a very bad shape, i had experienced this strech in November last year ![frustration] I don't know how the roads in Karnataka are, moreover am not on a sight-seeing trip, its strictly official. And am going to kerala via road for the first time ![:D]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i did go up to allepey from pune recently and took the bangalore highway while going down south and came the coastal road while coming back, i think its in my XUV thread -check out those routes. The road from Palakkad to allepey isnt tht great plus the traffic is high, this is for some 100+ kms-later its fine. the problem with coastal road is not bad roads but villages after villages non stop which means ur average speed isnt that great!

Thread Starter #13
Thanks a ton boys [thumbsup] i think i will try both the routes, southbound i will go via bangalore and on my way back i will travel via mangalore! Can someone suggest where do i stay at night as i intend to drive only during day time !

Can someone suggest where do i stay at night as i intend to drive only during day time !
I am also interested to know this.

Last time we were travelling without any stay since there was an expert driver.

This time I am planning to drive myself and intend to drive only during day time.

Thanks a ton boys [thumbsup] i think i will try both the routes, southbound i will go via bangalore and on my way back i will travel via mangalore! Can someone suggest where do i stay at night as i intend to drive only during day time !
Try Ginger hotels with online booking.

You can find many budget hotels.

While at Mangalore you can try Manorama Lodge.

Last edited:

Top Bottom