Road Conditions To Goa?

Hi Mukesh

Went to Goa in a Zen [2001 model].

The Mirjan - Devimane - Sirsi - Haveri can be done easily by a SUV. The scenery at Devimane Ghats is wonderful and makes the effort worthwhile. From Devimane to Sirsi there are a number of waterfalls that one can visit (there are signboards that point the route) - but only a SUV can reach those places.

Thread Starter #63
Again bumping to this thread, Can anyone suggest the latest condition of Goa route?
Has the recent rains damaged the roads to Goa.
How is the Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola Route?

The roads are just fine from Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola. Around Yellapur, the roads are deteriorated but can be done with decent speeds. Some of my friends have taken Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur but not recommended. Its through dense forests and can be tried if you are adventurous.

Ofcourse, Anmod-Ponda route is very much in bad condition. Same with Talaguppa - Honnavar route. Rains have completely evoked the roads.

BTW, when are you planning for Goa trip?

Thread Starter #65
The roads are just fine from Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola. Around Yellapur, the roads are deteriorated but can be done with decent speeds. Some of my friends have taken Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur but not recommended. Its through dense forests and can be tried if you are adventurous.

Ofcourse, Anmod-Ponda route is very much in bad condition. Same with Talaguppa - Honnavar route. Rains have completely evoked the roads.

BTW, when are you planning for Goa trip?
It would be in October 1st week.

Hi
I am planning to drive to Ponda during last week of Jan.
Please give any inputs on the road condition of the Belgaum - Khanapur - Ramnagar-Mollem -Ponda .
Thnx
Satish

Thread Starter #67
Hi
I am planning to drive to Ponda during last week of Jan.
Please give any inputs on the road condition of the Belgaum - Khanapur - Ramnagar-Mollem -Ponda .
Thnx
Satish
Hi Satish, this previous year i didn't visit Goa, what i had visited last year was doable.
Bangalore-Tumkur-Hubli-Yellapur-Kirwati Forest-Karwar-Cancona-Ponda-Panjim.

If you do this route you will be directly entering South Goa, as against the route you have mentioned the North Goa route.

And another main reason for following this route is you can get refreshments enroute till Hubli, then at Karwar.

So the above route would be a good option.

Thread Starter #69
Hi Mukesh

Thanks for the info.

Will post details of the trip and road conditions when I get back.
Hello Satish refreshments enroute, you can have a stop at Davangere , Genisys, Ahaar, Apoorva are good ones.

Here are the few hotels at Davangere:http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ellapur-ankola-karwar-panjim-2.html#post55164

After that do visit Ayodhya Hotel at Hubli, i highly recommend this one to everyone following the route.
As there are no good hotels after this stop.
To this hotel you will have to deviate from the main highway to Hubli City, take a U turn after passing the bus stand, 1st you get Kamat, then proceed further you will get Ayodhya Hotel in a Complex.

So one can drive till Karwar without a stop and then heading towards Ponda.

Update the road conditions & enjoy the drive.

Drive safe..

Hello Satish refreshments enroute, you can have a stop at Davangere , Genisys, Ahaar, Apoorva are good ones.

Here are the few hotels at Davangere:http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ellapur-ankola-karwar-panjim-2.html#post55164

After that do visit Ayodhya Hotel at Hubli, i highly recommend this one to everyone following the route.
As there are no good hotels after this stop.
To this hotel you will have to deviate from the main highway to Hubli City, take a U turn after passing the bus stand, 1st you get Kamat, then proceed further you will get Ayodhya Hotel in a Complex.

So one can drive till Karwar without a stop and then heading towards Ponda.

Update the road conditions & enjoy the drive.

Drive safe..
Hi Mukesh,

Very useful information - many thanks.

My programme has got delayed by 2 weeks because of rescheduling of work at VTU Belgaum. My plan is to drive from Bangalore to Ponda & then make a trip to VTU Belgaum (the University is about 95km from Ponda town).

However, the route I plan to take to Ponda is as suggested by you : Bangalore-Tumkur-Hubli-Yellapur-Kirwati Forest-Karwar-Cancona-Ponda.

The route from Ponda to Belgaum and back is: Ponda-Mollem-Anmod-Khanapur-Belgaum. The person at Belgaum told me that the road is motorable but not in such good condition.

I'll definitely post information on road conditions and if possible some photos of the same.

I have not driven "to" Goa recently. I live in Goa so I usually drive "in" Goa. In case you are visiting next month, expect very good roads as elections are in March.

Came back from trip to Ponda -Goa. The updates on road conditions are as follows:
1. Bangalore - Hubli - Karwar - Ponda

a) NH4 till Hubli is superb.
b) Hubli to Karwar the road is 2 lane and is in good condition, except for few stretches that are rough but motorable. Watch out for stray cattle.
c) Roads in Goa are very good and a pleasure to drive on.

2. Ponda - Mollem - Khanapur - Belgaum (NH4A)

a) Had to make a trip to Belgaum for some work and couldn't avoid traveling up and down on NH4A.[frustration]
b) NH4A is good in Goa - on the Karnataka part of the highway the road conditions deteriorate. The potholes are so big that driving becomes a pain. Even SUVs were finding the going slow and tedious. The road is pathetic right upto Belgaum and one should avoid NH4A unless absolutely necessary.

3. Ponda - Karwar - Honnavar - Jog - Sagar - Shimoga - Bangalore (NH206)

a) The Highway upto Honnavar is in good conditions.
b) Honnavar to Jog, the road is single lane - but the surface is in good conditions. Worth mentioning that the view of Gersoppa Valley enroute is beautiful - a must see from the Forest Department's watch tower.
c) Jog to Sagar the road is reasonably good - some rough patches.
d) Sagar - Shimoga - Bangalore, the road is in good condition, however encountered heavy traffic between Shimoga and Bangalore

Thread Starter #73
Thanks for updating the route info Satish , But one question, why you took Honnavar route?

Because you could have reached Jog via Ankola, you should have taken left near that HPCL bunk near Ankola.

Hi Mukesh

I took the Honnavar route to get to Gersoppa Valley - the view from Forest Department's watchtower is really worth the effort. From Honnavar to Jog the scenery is great, I stopped several times to take in the view. As mentioned the road is reasonably good, and very little traffic upto Sagar.

Hi Mukesh,

If you are in a mood for off-roading then take Shimoga-Honnavar-Kumta-Karwar-Goa. The road conditions on this way is very bad, I recently used this road & it was in pathetic conditions[anger]

If you are travelling with family & need to have good food & better roads Use NH4. Its one of the best roads & you will have a great drive.

You can take Bangalore-Tumkur-Hubli-Ponda tats much better.

[cheers]
Santosh.V
Drive Safe

Top Bottom