Road Conditions To Goa?

Thread Starter #46
@TG2010:Good that you enjoyed the drive .
I had told you earlier that beaches were deserted.
I hope you had visited calangute,Miramar beach with Dono Paulo as well.
How was the breezy drive through Kirwati forest?
Is the last destination Vasco.

@TG2010:Good that you enjoyed the drive .
I had told you earlier that beaches were deserted.
I hope you had visited calangute,Miramar beach with Dono Paulo as well.
How was the breezy drive through Kirwati forest?
Is the last destination Vasco.
Yes I visited Kalangute. Also Kolwa in Margao. But did not go to other Beaches. Stayed mostly in Mahindra club swimming pool in Varca. Did some shopping in Panaji? Had cruise and nice dinner in a good Panaji restaurant and for three of us it cost only 485/- ... (of course it had all including one starter (paneer pakoda), two curries (palak chhola masala, paneer tikka masala, butter naan, missi roti, rice, a cup of rabdi). In Bangalore in a decent restaurant for this menu and quantity, bill can not be less than 700.

Drive on NH63 was most pleasing and more relaxed as we had enough time to reach destination .Going through jungle is always fun. One thing which I liked most about driving in this time of the year that it is green everywhere and I see that nature is flourishing and life on earth going to survive much longer than those predictions which one makes after seeing those heaps of rubbish in bangalore[clap].

I drove back to bangalore on the same route as I did not want to experiment.

Thread Starter #48
Yes I visited Kalangute. Also Kolwa in Margao. But did not go to other Beaches. Stayed mostly in Mahindra club swimming pool in Varca. Did some shopping in Panaji? Had cruise and nice dinner in a good Panaji restaurant and for three of us it cost only 485/- ... (of course it had all including one starter (paneer pakoda), two curries (palak chhola masala, paneer tikka masala, butter naan, missi roti, rice, a cup of rabdi). In Bangalore in a decent restaurant for this menu and quantity, bill can not be less than 700.

Drive on NH63 was most pleasing and more relaxed as we had enough time to reach destination .Going through jungle is always fun. One thing which I liked most about driving in this time of the year that it is green everywhere and I see that nature is flourishing and life on earth going to survive much longer than those predictions which one makes after seeing those heaps of rubbish in bangalore[clap].

I drove back to bangalore on the same route as I did not want to experiment.
Oh good that you enjoyed the drive.
That's the only route mangeable to drive.

Thread Starter #49
Hawk on four's on a travel : Bangalore-Goa again.

Finally completed the trip. Bangalore->Hubli->Yellapur->Karwar->Margao->Varca. Driven 1598 KMs including wondering in Goa. Beaches are more or less deserted and especially there are a very few people in the water. Waves seemed rough. It is raining a lot. I got drenched couple of time in three days.
Anyway let me come back to road conditions. I started from my apartment at around 11 AM.It was already 1 AM when reached outside Bangalore. From bangalore to Chitradurg it was absolutely smooth. I could not resist myself touching 150 KMH mark at some occasions(it was more because I wanted to beat Sun in my race to Hubli and Sun getting set). I lost the race because of intermittent rain throughout and especially due to rough patches and diversions between Chitradurg and Haveri. reached Hubli by around 8 PM.
Morning 8:30, we started from Hubli on NH63 and reached Margao by 12. Both NH63 and NH17 were almost smooth. There were very minor wear and tear on NH63 hear and there which did not feel uncomfortable.

At least in day time I will recommend NH4->NH63->NH17 to Goa. In rainy night time, it should be avoided especially because of Chitradurg to Haveri patch.
Hello TG 2010:
Again i am visiting Goa this month on 15th.
This time on a personal visit.
So how well was the Hubli road.
And can you suggest the exact deviations to Goa.
As this time i am not going to Goa via mangalore.
And any idea about route via Jog(Shimoga)
Which way would be better, As this time i would be keeping 2 route's in mind either via Jog or Via Hubli.
I wanted a recent update from your side & TAIn's
Any suggestions???

Last edited:
Thread Starter #50
I would suggest the Bangalore-Shimoga-Karwar-Goa route. Came back that way some 2 months back and what scenic roads to drive on.

The Bangalore-Yellapura-Ankola-Karwar-Goa route is boring till you hit the Ankola ghats.

The stretch between Chitradurga-Haveri has frequent diversions (super dangerous at night if you are maintaining good speeds) and the road condition is bad too. If you are going to travel via this route, better to do it during day time.

Shimoga route is best traveled early in the morning so that you hit Shimoga by early morning and get to enjoy the scenery. Another advantage of this route is, you get to see Jog as well.
Hi Mclaren can you suggest some nice hotels on that stretch.
Via Jog as well as via Hubli.

I would go on NH4 till Hubli, take diversion towards Karwar road, As Hubli road has improved quiet a lot and on hubli karwar road all the mines trucks are off road so it is safer and quicker than any other route.

avoid going though Mangalore as roads are pathetic.

avoid taking a detour near Harihar towards shimoga - sagar - ankola as harihar to shimoga (~60kms takes more than 2 hrs) the ghat section after jog towards ankola is also not in a very good shape. [this route is not so bad by the way]

avoid taking a detour near Haveri towards sirsi -ankola road (bad and narrow roads)

Hotel : Ayodya Hotel is good family Lodge. You have Hotel International on Nilingen Road (on the road behind Ayodhya Hotel), Renuka Hotel (next to Ayodhya Hotel) [listed in my order of preference]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #52
Hi srinivas do you mean to say jog road is good?
And do i need to go upto Hubli city, or a left turn just after finishing toll booth to enter Hubli.
I wanted to know how good is Yellapur route via Kirwati forest region.
And which option is best .
Via Jog or via Hubli.

Hi srinivas do you mean to say jog road is good?
And do i need to go upto Hubli city, or a left turn just after finishing toll booth to enter Hubli.
I wanted to know how good is Yellapur route via Kirwati forest region.
And which option is best .
Via Jog or via Hubli.
Road via Jog is fine, but to reach jog you have to travel through lot of villages and cities on a undivided highway, which I feel is a little dangerous because of biker riding in center of the road and tractors with their unique type of driving, you have to be real careful while overtaking these bikes, better give extra space in between while overtaking.

If you dont intent to stay overnight in Hubli, then dont enter hubli, follow the highway, pay the toll upto Karwar Road cross. Upto Yellapur roads are good, at the ghat section after Yellapur its little patchy roads but then its far better.
I drive my Scorpio in 2.5 hrs from hubli to Karwar. after karnataka boundary all Goa roads are well maintained.

Thread Starter #54
Road via Jog is fine, but to reach jog you have to travel through lot of villages and cities on a undivided highway, which I feel is a little dangerous because of biker riding in center of the road and tractors with their unique type of driving, you have to be real careful while overtaking these bikes, better give extra space in between while overtaking.

If you dont intent to stay overnight in Hubli, then dont enter hubli, follow the highway, pay the toll upto Karwar Road cross. Upto Yellapur roads are good, at the ghat section after Yellapur its little patchy roads but then its far better.
I drive my Scorpio in 2.5 hrs from hubli to Karwar. after karnataka boundary all Goa roads are well maintained.
Hello srinivas, I have done a trip to Jog previous year, which i am aware of.
But i wanted a recent update.
Thanks for the info.
My Travelogue to Jog:http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/voyage-junction/1578-trip-jog-falls-karnataka.html

Yes i may visit Jog.
And what is the direction to Goa from Jog.
Do i need to go upto Jog or is there any deviation near Sagar.

Thanks in advance.

mukeshus,

You don't have to go to Jog, if you want to go to Goa directly. From Sagar, you can go on NH 206. You have to take left turn from NH 206 to go to Jog. Otherwise, go straight to Honnavara and join NH 17. Drive through Karwar to Goa on NH 17. In March 2010, the roads of NH 206/17 were good. I don't know their present condition after monsoon.

Thread Starter #56
mukeshus,

You don't have to go to Jog, if you want to go to Goa directly. From Sagar, you can go on NH 206. You have to take left turn from NH 206 to go to Jog. Otherwise, go straight to Honnavara and join NH 17. Drive through Karwar to Goa on NH 17. In March 2010, the roads of NH 206/17 were good. I don't know their present condition after monsoon.
Thank you Mr.Ravi.
The routes are finalized i am going to Goa via Hubli.
Thank you all for the reply.
Leaving tomorrow at 5 Am.

Thread Starter #58
I am back again from Goa.

The road Via Hubli-Yellapur-Kirwati-Ankola-Karwar-Goa is superb.

Last edited:
Got back from Goa 10 days back. An update on road conditions:

1)Onward journey - Bangalore > Hubli > Yellapur > Kirwati > Ankola > Karwar > Panaji
(NH4 > NH63 > NH17)

Bangalore - Hubli is excellent, except for diversions between Davangere & Haveri. Yellapur-Kirwati-Ankola-Karwar-Panaji is very good. However, there are a number of potholes on the road between Yellapur -Kirwati.

2) Return journey Panaji > Karwar > Gokarn > Mirjan > Devimane > Sirsi > Haveri > Bangalore (NH17 > SH2 >NH4)

Karwar - Gokarn - Mirjan is in very good condition, except for some rough patches between Gokarn & Mirjan

Mirjan - Devimane - Sirsi - Haveri road is full of potholes and difficult to drive in a small car. However, the scenery is superb and definitely compensates for the rough ride.

Top Bottom