Rising Petrol Prices: Now What Existing Petrol Car Owner Should Do?

Thread Starter #1
The petrol price is Rs 72+ now. (In Dec 2010 it was Rs 48) [frustration]

Those who already have petrol car are feeling a lot heat now!

Now what can be done to reduce running cost?

1. If running is low then keep the car and take some burden

2. Running is high then ?

• Sell the car and buy new diesel car?
  • Sell the car and buy old diesel car? (Hard to find good 1)
  • Look for CNG/LPG conversion?

Car pool,use public transport etc options are not considered as we simply love to drive our cars,so no discussion on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Rising petrol prices Now what existing petrol car owner should do?

Very valid question at this point of time. My take on this would be -

a) Sell the car and bye new diesel car? - Only if your running has gone up substantially so that you can recover the excess initial investment on a diesel car. Please note that one has to shell out more on a diesel car because there are absolutely no discounts / freebies on diesel cars

b) Sell the car and bye old diesel car? (Hard to find good 1) - Yes very difficult to manage a good buy here used diesel car prices have also gone up.

c) Look for CNG/LPG conversion? - You would loose out on driving pleasure in this case

So instead of above, better to be a more sedate driver to extract max mileage, switch off AC whenever possible, avoid short trips, turn off the engine at signals when the stoppage time is >30 secs

Thread Starter #3

So instead of above, better to be a more sedate driver to extract max mileage, switch off AC whenever possible, avoid short trips, turn off the engine at signals when the stoppage time is >30 secs
This will save some petrol but very marginal.

Imagine if you have 1000 + kms running per month
If you have hatchback mileage will be 15
1000/15 = 67 Ltrs * 72 = 4800 Rs / month 5000+ Rs/month approx
If you have sedan mileage will be 12
1000/12 = 83 Ltrs * 72 = 6000 Rs / month 6000+ Rs/month approx

What will happen to diesel prices ?
I think diesel prices also going increase. Atleast govt will do something to ooze out the private diesel cars.

I subsidy for diesel is removed , then what will be the diesel price ?
Can anybody throw some light.

Thread Starter #5

HuntersChase Your questions are quite OT, please create separate thread for it or find existing proper thread to ask your quires.

yeah thats a big jump in petrol thanks to Indian government

Now its time to press panic button. I don't think petrol prices goes in decline. In Sept 2010 it was 51.56 per ltr (in delhi). Today's date it is 66.84 per ltr (in delhi). So hike is around 15 rs in one year so what would be the price in next year? 80 rs? 85rs? We can't predict.

Only way is to keep usage minimum. Use bike for short trip as well as for office. Enjoy your car only for long drives.

Surfer- you could not have posted more relevant question than this. It's becoming increasingly unrealistic in our measly salaries to support that kind of fuel budget. If you believe me I have stopped using my car to office and just use it over weekends[sad] although it pains to sit in the bus and see others driving past but it has become unbearable!

The best option right now would be to wait a little. Selling the car and buying a diesel doesn't seem like an option too considering prices of sec hand petrol cars are going down and diesel hearts are getting expensive.
Or
put a CNG/LPG kit if you can do with some loss in driveability. In a city like ours even that looks so difficult. Have you seen the queue in front of those CNG bunks, it's maddening!
Can't write more have to catch the bus!

i would say get CNG installed from good installer . you will get goof FE with CNG

i get 17 with 100% AC in my accent combination of driving city 98%+ highway 2% [evil]

Surfer- you could not have posted more relevant question than this. It's becoming increasingly unrealistic in our measly salaries to support that kind of fuel budget. If you believe me I have stopped using my car to office and just use it over weekends[sad] although it pains to sit in the bus and see others driving past but it has become unbearable!

The best option right now would be to wait a little. Selling the car and buying a diesel doesn't seem like an option too considering prices of sec hand petrol cars are going down and diesel hearts are getting expensive.
Or
put a CNG/LPG kit if you can do with some loss in driveability. In a city like ours even that looks so difficult. Have you seen the queue in front of those CNG bunks, it's maddening!
Can't write more have to catch the bus!

I agree with Thetraveller, in future if subsidy removed for private diesel car again it will be a burden.

car pooling wont work out if you have flexible office timings.

Put CNG/LPG kit.. that is the best option

HuntersChase Your questions are quite OT, please create separate thread for it or find existing proper thread to ask your quires.
sorry if it is OT.But your original question considers diesel car option. If in future, petrol and diesel prices become equal(which is likely) ... Isn't it worth considering ?

What should a new petrol car owner should do? Is it worth to sell it ? My Liva's mileage is only 12 km and what should i do ? [thinking]

all the credit goes to our government and i know if they work this hard one day they cross rs 100 barrier and 'believe me then we all gone be fit and fine because only way of transportation left is in bicycles so cheers to our government .

Top Bottom