Riding manner and usage of ORVM's

its not possible to all the time , poke your head out and see the traffic coming behind you. in this attempt you may not notice that the guy in front of you have braked and you just go right into him.most of maruti's basic cars don't come with left side ORVM's. its better to get them fixed(hardly costs 100-120 rs). and guess what, you will surely notice that it is comfortable to drive without poking the head out, each time you want to take a turn or want to see whose at your bumper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also always use OVRMs of my car or bike. Its very-very useful for heavy traffic. Otherwise you will never notice whats going behind.

It is silly that some of our cars don't have left OVRM (e.g, Maruti 800).

I too use ORVM of my bike. As a matter of fact they are quite helpful in city traffic where one needs to change lanes frequently.

I too use ORVM'S in both my Safari and Verna! I infact make it a point to open them first before entering the vehicle. My Safari's right side ORVM one broke accidentally while my dad was reversing in our tight parking lot , and that is when i found out that driving in cities without ORVM'S for such a huge car is really difficult. I found it very tough while changing lanes taking right turns and also U-turns! We had to change that in a few days as it was very difficult to drive without hem spending 4.5k!![frustration]

When it comes to bikes i too have seen lots of bikes here without them and police here are also not so specific about that! My friends also suggested me to remove them from my Pulsar but i am having it still from the time i purchased the bike! Really useful in bikes too especially in highways!

350Z

Core Team
I also always use OVRMs of my car or bike. Its very-very useful for heavy traffic. Otherwise you will never notice whats going behind.

It is silly that some of our cars don't have left OVRM (e.g, Maruti 800).
Even many other cheap cars don't offer same, For Eg; Tata Nano and Maruti Alto. Cost Cutting, Eh? It is useful, Thus I've added one on my daily ride. Apart from this, Sometimes these ORVMs could also prove to be troublesome in congested area, especially in some cars where it closes with barely an inch difference. :eek:

Drive Safe,
350Z

I always used to check my ORVMs while driving.
Before starting the car,i always ensure that the ORVMs are opened up and i wear my seat belts and then start my car.
I hate and still wonder how people drive in narrow lanes with closed ORVMs.

@ 350Z :agree:
I rarely use my left ORVM and it is actually rule in india that one must have right ORVM otherwise you can be fined by police! so, main mirrors for me are right ORVM and inside mirror.

OVRM's are just for look sake. Acutally no one uses them properly. If it is used then either it will get broken or scrapped with other vehicles. This is India where we are a big democracy.

In car i cant drive without both the rear view mirrors at side and also the central one too. It helps a lot both in city and hight way.

Its like a cats mustache . Cats do check with them to enter a narrow place.

BUT in bike i dont have any. Everytime it gets hit by on comming bikes mirror

i dont agree with anuprav. both my car's ORVMs are never closed & used by me generously. infact i cannot drive a car without both side ORVMs. it will make me very uncomfortable in traffic.

in mumbai traffic, cars keep a gap of just about a feet or two & it is very important that you look in the mirrors even before a small lane change. bikers keep next to negligible gap.

and mirrors can get scrapped or broken but that can be avoided with a bit of caution. that does not mean, to save some bucks, we compromise on safety, of ourselves & other road users.

Hello Anuprav
I totally use both ORVM's.
As in Bnagalore its difficult to drive without these ORVMS.
Its not for show as you said.
It really helps you to judge when overtaking Esp in night and in Highways.

@mukeshus- Agreed. Wise use of both the mirrors helps in highway traffic, especially the left mirror helps the most during overtakes and reversing.

Me too always use both ORVMs which is a must in traffic.
The riders dont know how to use it, thats why they are turning their head back..
They use mirrors for hanging their helmets & bags thatsall.
By proper use of mirrors the accidents can be reduce to an extend.
Rule are there but only in papers...then what to do..
-----------Next Post-----------
Me too always use both ORVMs which is a must in traffic.
The riders dont know how to use it, thats why they are turning their head back..
They use mirrors for hanging their helmets & bags thatsall.
By proper use of mirrors the accidents can be reduce to an extend.
Rule are there but only in papers...then what to do..

Last edited:
I have got used to Rear view mirrors so much that I feel that I am missing something when driving/riding.
Its like if I am driving a car, I need both the ORVM and the main rear view mirror. Same goes to riding a 2 wheeler. It is so helpful when we are on road.
It is so important to know what is happening around you when we are driving/riding.

I am not riding my 2 wheeler for some time now mainly because it does not have the right rear view mirror and Honda does not have the adapter nut in stock to fit a new mirror.[frustration]

BUT, I see more people with closed/missing mirrors on their vehicles. Even the ones who have it seldom use it. The most annoying part is ORVMs are closed on lot of cars. You bet you don't want to be near such guys because they will have no clue what they are doing.:eek:

Top Bottom