Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars & Bikes

Thread Starter #16

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello mate, First thing you should do is talk to the sell, Get their mobile no or email and talk at length. ask the compatiblity and return policy.

all the sellers I've dealt with were quite good.

Re: Review-Various kinds of LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs for Cars and Bikes

Hi Friend,
This post sounds interesting.
Could you tell me whether this LED bulb supports AC Voltage ? because Headlight bulb setup in Honda Activa is directly connected to Alternator.
If it supports, then we really don't need any modifications and we can directly replace with H4 Halogen bulb.

Thread Starter #18

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: Review-Various kinds of LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs for Cars and Bikes

Hi Friend,
This post sounds interesting.
Could you tell me whether this LED bulb supports AC Voltage ? because Headlight bulb setup in Honda Activa is directly connected to Alternator.
If it supports, then we really don't need any modifications and we can directly replace with H4 Halogen bulb.
dear Sachin,
thanks for dropping in. infant I was about to ting you.
anyways, as we previously discussed, you will need a 2 channel bridge rectifier, one each for low and high beam.
you will also need a capacitor set for smoothing out voltage. let's me. dig out the pics for my diy of the same.

also, do you Have experience of HID kit on ac scooter as these appear to Have relays to draw power from Battery.

Thread Starter #19

bhvm

Honoured Member
Adding some WIP Pics of How I made 2 channel Bridge rectifier, Capacitors and heatsink.

Attachments

Hi Friend,
That's perfect modification using existing AC setup.
I've read on internet, some LED Bulb driver do support AC volt, it's just a matter of adding extra components of bridge rectifier by the manufacturer. Since these LED bulbs are flooded by Chinese manufacturer don't know which one is genuine and supports both AC/DC voltage. BTW we have a juggad for it :-).

I had installed HID kit 2 years back, but it sucks battery like a hell. Later I've to remove that because the HID ballast was conk off. I had replaced HID with LED Projectors, though it is directly connected to battery but LED's requires minimum current so not putting much strain on battery. It's working pretty good.

Hope, I may go for the same setup in future because AC headlight connection from alternator is idle.

Thread Starter #21

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello again,.

1.I'm yet to see a bulb with proper rectifier and ac voltage. all.the bulbs I tested behaved funny on ac supply.

2. my next project will be to Power lighs through Battery (providing stable voltage even at low rpm ). I'm looking to modify the headlight output via some solidstate charger and connecting to Battery

this way the factory Headlight output won't be wasted.

3. hid kits are a good way to drain Battery because of very high initial draw. anyways they're on the way out as led have reached comparable brightness.

dear BHVM,
just read your post on led conversion. Nice work friend.
questions:
1 Where did you source the rectifiers from? Bought online or from local electronics shop?
2. cost of the rectifiers? capacitor cost is nominal, I was concerned about the rectifiers only.
3. can we get the led bulbs from the local market?

I would have liked if you had posted photos of the beam from your scooter at night, cause i am seriously considering converting my motorcycle to led headlights.[;)]

regards

mandar

Thread Starter #23

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello mandar,
I'm glad you liked it.

1.rectifiers were ordered from eBay.
2. cost is quite cheap. 20rs or below. attach them to some heatsink for better life.
3. I haven't seen led bulbs in local market. I brought them from eBay.
4. I'm away from scooter for 10 days..I'll post when I come back to her. but believe me, the illumination is awesome.

Thanks bhvm for your answers. I will try to buy the said items on ebay but I ma not a kind of a guy who has facility to buy online, except COD.

Thanks anyways

regards mandar

Looking forward to see the beam quality of your scooter

regards
mandar

Thread Starter #25

bhvm

Honoured Member
dear mandar, I guess you can buy the rectifiers locally. just ask for an ac-dc rectifier in any electronics or Radio shop. make sure they're rated for above 50v and can handle upto 10 amps of current. More the merrier.

otherwise you can quickly make a full wave bridge using 4 simple diodes. (if you can't find a rectifier )
here-
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge

thanks bhvm,

yes, i know that i can make a rectifier at home by using diodes. But i would like to know what is the current capacity of the rectifier you used.

regards
mandar

thanks bhvm,

yes, i know that i can make a rectifier at home by using diodes. But i would like to know what is the current capacity of the rectifier you used.

regards
mandar
dear bhvm,

my bad , i did not read the next line. you have given the specs for the rectifier.

regards

mandar

Thread Starter #27

bhvm

Honoured Member
mandar, the rectifier I used is rated to handle upto 400v and 10 amps.

I've used 2 rectifer, one for low, one for high beam.

Top Bottom