Restoring 1988 Maruti 800

Thanks for the pics, looks good. Did you take a parallel wire from the tail lamp? to switch on LEDs while braking?

Thread Starter #47
Yes anand,the parallel wire was taken from backlight of left side, but the backlight bulb is not glowing whereas the led r functioning.Must be loose contact.
Yesterday I had a breakdown as the alternator wire gad touched the engine and burnt ,the battery drained out within 20 mins and I was stuck n the highway for 2 hrs till help came.first thought the altrnator was gone,but relieved as the guy told wasonly due to a burnt wire.replaced with a standby battery and drove home.quite frustating.[frustration]

Thank god you & your rude are safe. Replacing alternator is a costly DIY, its good that a wire sorted out the problem.

In my car the rear tail lamps sometime work, sometimes they dont. I too will check for lose contact.

Thread Starter #50
Not an issue Anand..
I think ur and mine issues are same OR all ageing maruti"s have the same problem,After driving in heavy rain for 2 -3 days was irritated by smell of rotten egg inside the cabin,finally decided to pull out the old mats & to my horror [surprise]

Attachments

Thread Starter #52
So angrily tore off all the body trims as they were of no use,will get new set tomorrow.
I currently dont have Vitamin M for complete welding work and painting as anand did to his car but thinking of applying putty or M-seal in the cracks temporarily.
I think to block these holes a rubber washer kind of thing is available,bcoz seen only one piece attached in the front passenger seat.will inquire abt it.
Can somebody pls give a better idea how to stop water leakage ..is Mseal helpful to an extent or any other gum is available in the market.[confused]
Stripped off those old trims that were spoiling the look of interiors

Attachments

Hello,
This is a common problem with all old M800 owners. Your floor is still in a better condition. When I had bought my car and removed the carpet I could easily see the road below and there were big holes. I have done lots of tinkering and welding work.

See my ownership review.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/7693-my-first-car-maruti-800-ac-93-model.html

For your car's floor I have a cheap and reliable solution. You can do it as a DIY.
First of all check the floor for any huge cracks or holes. If there are any huge cracks/holes then you'll have to get welding work done, else you can use this method.

Material required.
1. 100 no. sand paper Rs. 20 (for making the surface smooth)
2. small wire brush Rs. 20 (for scrapping the old rust)
3. small tin sheets (used by painters) Rs 10 (for applying body filler)
4. body filler Rs. 200
5. Red oxide primer Rs. 70
6. Paint Rs. 30
7. Brush Rs. 10

total Rs 360

First of all you will have to scrap all the rust using a wirebrush.
Then sand all the uneven surfaces caused due to rusting.
using the tin sheets fill all the cracks and holes with body filler.
let the body filler dry for one day, then apply a thin coat of primer all over the floor. Let the thin coat dry and apply a thick coat of primer. Let the primer dry and then apply two coats of paint over it. You can do this on the floor and underbody.

Thread Starter #54
Dear shantanu
thnks for the reply..i will b doing the DIY today itself.whar about the seat foam,can i try fixing a polythene sheet below to prevent water soak or any other cheap method is there ?
I have also found a coupler in the hand brake lever for the handbrake light in the dash,need help in conecting it. ANAND,SHANTANU,VARUN BHAI,help needed.

Sorry I can't comment on water leakage as I haven't faced this issue.
One suggestion, use silicon paste to seal leaks for gaskets.

Coupler ? But handbrake has a single connector.

There are two round holes under the rear seat, and holes in the front area for draining water. Make sure that you get new floor rubber set for these holes.
Photo0829.jpg

Yes, you can fix a polythene sheet under the rear seat foam. It will save the foam from soaking water. If anyhow water seeps in after fixing new floor rubbers.

The handbrake has a single connector. To connect the handbrake switch to dashboard light, check your wiring harness thats going for the rear lights. There must be a loose wire with a coupler.

I have also not connected the handbrake switch. I'll do it soon and post more details.

Hi Arunabh,
I am really sorry for my late reply.
Are you sure the water is coming from the floor? if yes then you can buy the 60rupees grommet packet (grommet -rubber covers for the holes in the floor).

Please cross check if the leak is from antenna mounting point? or front windshield gasket/beeding etc. If it is windshield/antenna point just apply Anabond 555 (transparent glue) to outer side, it will solve the issue. I will give you those pics by evening.

To fix the rusting issue inside, just do as Shantanu said but dont use handbrush, finishing wont be good. Instead take time, gather funds then do like this.

If you have no holes/cracks in the floor then
1. Take a screw driver/wirebrush rub the floor where ever you find rust
2. wipe off the area of all the dust using thinner dipped cloth
3. But any red oxide can (60Rs) & mix it with petrol/thinner (1:1ratio) and apply using spray gun
4. let this dry apply one coat of any paint with brush or spray gun. & apply repeat coats later.

500Rs. will be material cost + compressor rent (may be max700) but worth it.

OT: do not buy any spray can, it is a useless product (just looks only) when compared to handbrush and compressor aided spraying.

Yes you can put a simple foam sheet below seat to avoid this water contact. Picture is there in my ownership thread.

Thread Starter #58
Dear all
Sorry for the late post ..was busy at some exams...Went to the market and fetched some parts for painting the floor..
1)Brush-Rs.20
2)Iron wire brush-Rs.20
3)Body filler+hardener-Rs.50
4)Red oxide primer-Rs.60
5)Sand paper 100 size-Rs.10
6)Tin sheet for applying filler-Rs.5

Attachments

Top Bottom